New to the site – A couple general questions.

• I’ve lurked around here for quite some time now, but figured I’d finally sign up and start posting.

First, just a little about me – I’m an 18-year-old strategy game fanatic and WWII history nut. Been playing Axis & Allies (the classic version) for just over a decade now. My dad and a few of his friends got me started on it when I was 7, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Up until a month ago, I had only played the classic version of A&A, and I had ended up giving my old A&A board to a friend of mine a year ago during a long-distance move. Unfortunately I had missed the first release of A&A 50, and not being able to justify a $450 board game purchase, I decided to get the 1942 version. I love it, besides the obvious lack of IPC’s (we usually end up using Monopoly money, which works just fine lol), and annoyingly small board.

Here are my questions:

1 - How exactly does playing by forum work? I would love to be able to play against people online. As it stands now, I play maybe once every several of months with a few friends – But at a glance, the whole “playing by forum” thing seems extremely complicated. Could someone explain the ins and outs of it to me?

Is it better/more common to play by forum, or to use TripleA (which I’ve downloaded, but haven’t played yet) to find and play online opponents?

2 - What other A&A games are worth getting? Is there a plan for another release of A&A 50? The thought of Asia being completely revamped, China having its own pieces, and a 3rd Axis faction sounds like it would be a blast – But there’s no way I can afford to spend the amount of cash necessary to get it via Ebay or w/e.

3 - Lastly, having heard about how you can combine Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940 to create one enourmous game, I’m definitely planning on ordering Pacific here in the next couple of weeks and then Europe whenever it comes out. For those of you who have played A&A Pacific 1940 already, is it worth getting?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for the lengthy post. Looking forward to being a part of the community here.  :-)

• Welcome to the forum, Incline.

Yes, the new Pacific is definitly worth it. It is a must have. I got all the other games from MB classic and to this latest Pacific game, and may assure you that this is awesome. All the political and strategical  options in this game are just intriguing. Combined with the upcoming Europe game, this new global A&A game will be the greatest strategy game ever.

There is a few issues, but nothing that can not be solved. The Rulebook was edited by a chimp, but Larry and Krieghund will make “Erretas and FAQ” that solve all the rule issues. If you are not satisfied with the plastic pieces, then FMG will make replacement pieces. Also this A&A.org community will support this game in every possible way. So if you purchase this Pacific and the upcoming Europe games, you cannot go wrong, methinx. Oh and never mind the karma, its just a bad habit,man.

• The Rulebook was edited by a chimp

LMFAO

Spy camera catches the typesetter working long hours at WOTC…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flgoDc9igs

Watch this clip till the 40 second mark. Its perfect!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atH3TfYcOyY&NR=1

• Ha ha, Cal Moore in action, ROFL  :lol:

• That had to be filmed at WOTC’s office. That is freakin’ classic.

Welcome Incline!

1. To get involved in forum playing, it is best to ask for anyone who wants to play in the Find Player and Game Discussion. If you have questions about format you can discuss how particular players like to declare moves and other details in that forum.
    2. I personally have AA Revised, D-Day, and Bulge, and I’ve played Classic and Europe. Others might have more experience with more AaA games,  but I personally like the battle system in Bulge, since it is random. D-Day isn’t worth it though. I have heard good reports about Guadalcanal but I haven’t played it.
    3. I think that is always possible but you’d have to probably create your own house rules for it.

Hope it helps, and again, welcome! Please post away…

GG

• Oh, I missed that second question.

Here is a link to the A&A resource at Boardgamegeek. Every A&A game that is made are on this list, just click on the game you like, and read the reviews.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=axis+%26+allies

• Thanks for the responses, guys. Appreciate the help!

Just went ahead and ordered AAP40 from Amazon. Looking forward to getting it.

I’m definitely gonna try and get into playing both AA42 and AAP40 online. What’s the standard in the community when it comes to playing the games online? Do the majority of you prefer playing by forum, playing by email (both of which are still somewhat confusing to me, but I’m sure I’ll learn with time), or TripleA? I’ve also heard about ABattlemap….What’s the general consensus on the best way to play?

• @Incline:

Thanks for the responses, guys. Appreciate the help!

Just went ahead and ordered AAP40 from Amazon. Looking forward to getting it.

I’m definitely gonna try and get into playing both AA42 and AAP40 online. What’s the standard in the community when it comes to playing the games online? Do the majority of you prefer playing by forum, playing by email (both of which are still somewhat confusing to me, but I’m sure I’ll learn with time), or TripleA? I’ve also heard about ABattlemap….What’s the general consensus on the best way to play?

I believe that the majority of the players active on this website who play Axis and Allies online use ABattlemap to play here on this website using PBF (Play By Forum), but I know that there are also several players who play using TripleA.  I believe that play by e-mail is basically a thing of the past, but I could be wrong.  I personally have only played online using ABattlemap, and yes, the very first time that I played, I was a little confused, but after the first round of play, I was playing online just like someone who had played online for quite a while (not actual gameplay, but posting correctly and such).  It’s actualy not that difficult once you jump in.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m