• You now write down your income on a pad like most people do. I am not sure but most likely the game comes with a starter pad.

• or you get some fine customized poker chips with national symbols on them.  paper and pencils are sooo for games that are all cardboard chits.

• … or i could just use the money from some of my other a&a games. no monies, what a jip

• No money?  So this new game will not involve IPCs?  I was just telling me friend about this new game and wondering what the map will be like etc.  Why is it just 1942?  Is it because of lack of interest in the anniversary edition 1942 set up?  I am interested to see more information.

• you don’t need pieces of paper to keep your IPC straight. Just write it down on paper and save the hassle of passing/ collecting monopoly money.

• but i loves the monies!  :cry:  i like holding up my vast amount if ipc’s so everyone around the table can see how much i have  :-D

• This is really a surprise, the only thing I can think why this is done is either bad sales which seems unlikely since AA50 sold out or that the game is considered to be flawed. Maybe they thought this '41 scenario that everyone is playing is unsuited for balanced play and includes too many uncertainties?

As for money, maybe they will have gone all the way and just changed the phasing order so that you buy with the IPC income you have on the board at the start of your turn. That would eliminate territory trading, not too bad!  :wink: This would also go quite well with NOs since you wouldn’t have the inflation in income that we’ve gotten used to now in AA50. On the other hand, if they opt for a simpler game, maybe NOs will be tossed out of the window, which I think would be too bad since it encourages better game strategies. My 2 cents for upgraded NOs;

1. Change the first Jap NO to: 5 IPCs if control of at-start territories AND no Jap units in Soviet territories. (Favours pacific strats)
    2. Change the German third NO to: control of BOTH KAR and CAU. (Almost necessary since KAR will be a cakewalk in most -42 setups)
    3. Change the US homeland NO to include Alaska. (Favours pacific strats)

As many have said China can be fixed with a better setup and Japan’s power is easy to adjust with giving them 2 or 3 transports rather than the extreme 5 or the other extreme 1 as we now have it! I like a separate Italy but I haven’t yet heard of anyone having a separate player for it so in that sense it isn’t a success story. Germany controlling Italy and getting one of their NOs should be OK and also gets rid of the Italy+Germany flip-flop on the Eastern front which I hope no-one will be unhappy to get rid of.

• Regarding money - who cares if this game comes with it or not.  For those of us that have another version of A&A - just use that money if you want.  For those that will be buying A&A for the first time - they will never know the difference.  I think the price point on this game is fantastic - an MSRP of only $35?!  I’ve already seen it online (pre-order) or like $25!  I would imagine that this will draw in some new A&A players - people that never wanted to spend $40 (or whatever revised cost) for a boardgame.  Eliminating the money is probably one way that WoTC was able to keep the costs down.  I would rather have them make some cost cuts (that don’t effect gameplay of course) and expand the fan base.
    Just my 2 cents…
    Thanks.

• So Krieghund,

any info on when we can expect to ‘officially’ hear some sort of release news and notes about this version?

wotc will likely update and release info on it in Sept, but how about from the LarryHarris site or something?

• Official Q&A

I’m afraid not.  Wizards controls the release of information on new games.  If and when I get the OK to release anything, you guys will be the first to know.  However, I suspect that I won’t, so you’ll all find out at the same time as everyone else, whenever that is.

• your input, your effort and your candor are as always, much appreciated Krieghund.

• Wizards controls the release of information on new games.

which means we will get nothing but the same exact picture that any site selling the game will receive and no articles as usual.

• you’d think they’d be intelligent enough to realise that if they released a little info, maybe a picture or two (apart from the box cover) then they’d drum up a little excitement and interest in the thing. right now it’s just us gossiping like old women  :x

• I emailed WOTC about the new release, and just asked about when we might expect an announcement about the game, not the info itself:

Thank you for writing. Unfortunately there have been no announcements. For any future releases, keep checking the Avalon Hill page at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/welcome.
    Take Care and Good Gaming!

Disappointing, though not an unexpected response.  the tech who responded probably went out and googled it after to find out about it himself.

• You should email him back:

Why is it every time WOTC/ AH releases anything having to do with Axis and Allies boardgames, everybody has to find out about the game thru Funagain games and other retailers long before anybody EVER hears about these games from AH.

The difference is striking when the minute a product involving Axis and Allies Miniatures is even “thought of” they post a picture of every piece and every angle nearly a year before it comes out. This would be the same with all the upcoming fantasy related games.

When AA50 came out you didn’t even lift a finger to describe it are do anything except post a link for errata rules.

Do you really think anybody can take you seriously when you come up with that standard reply: “keep looking at the site for updates” Was that some sort of joke?

Its totally evident why nobody posts on your Avalon Hill site since it offers nothing except information that was already posted on other sites first.

see how they react to that.

• IL,

I replied and included your questions along with mine about their inability to support their releases.  I will relay their answers, or lack their of.

• New info released:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/spring1942

Axis & Allies 1942, designed and developed by Larry Harris, will utilize the updated rules established in A&A Anniversary Edition. Cruiser class ships will make their debut in A&A 1942, forever changing the naval line-up. Newly sculpted playing pieces and all new packaging will position this game as the cornerstone of the Axis & Allies game line for years to come.

* Rulebook updated by Larry Harris, creator of the Axis & Allies game system
        * Packaging, play components, and game board map feature updated art
        * 370 game pieces featuring refreshed sculpts plus new models for cruisers
        * Updated naval unit rules as debuted in Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

–-------------------------------------------------

This means that the AA42 map will be the same as today, except different colors and drawing? Not new territories?
    Rules will be the same as AA50, with exception of the NOs? And same or old tech rules?

Unit costs, SBR, naval rules are sure enough, but how about NOs in AA42? Imo it could be interesting if it’s implemented. And this means that tech is optional in AA42.
    Also, the 2 new optional rules which was added after AA50 was released will probably be optional rules in AA42.
    I think Revised (AA42) can be fun even if AA50 is still teh real deal.

• On a related note. Now that I received my AA50… IT is my friend’s birthday soon and I wanted to buy him an AA game. Problem is the following :
    I already bought a Revised edition for another friend.
    Some weeks after, I bought the Anniversary edition (at the time I bought the revised, I wasn’t aware of AA50. I feel kind of cheap because I bought him a version of the game that he will not likely play :S)

Any other good AA to buy? Europe, DDay, Pacific…

maybe I should just look for books :P

Robert

• @Subotai:

New info released:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/spring1942

Axis & Allies 1942, designed and developed by Larry Harris, will utilize the updated rules established in A&A Anniversary Edition. Cruiser class ships will make their debut in A&A 1942, forever changing the naval line-up. Newly sculpted playing pieces and all new packaging will position this game as the cornerstone of the Axis & Allies game line for years to come.

* Rulebook updated by Larry Harris, creator of the Axis & Allies game system
        * Packaging, play components, and game board map feature updated art
        * 370 game pieces featuring refreshed sculpts plus new models for cruisers
        * Updated naval unit rules as debuted in Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

–-------------------------------------------------

This means that the AA42 map will be the same as today, except different colors and drawing? Not new territories?
    Rules will be the same as AA50, with exception of the NOs? And same or old tech rules?

Unit costs, SBR, naval rules are sure enough, but how about NOs in AA42? Imo it could be interesting if it’s implemented. And this means that tech is optional in AA42.
    Also, the 2 new optional rules which was added after AA50 was released will probably be optional rules in AA42.
    I think Revised (AA42) can be fun even if AA50 is still teh real deal.

WOW they actually released some info.  Looks like they will be suckering my money away  :-(

• Well thats something… You are a hero of sorts to have gotten them to move off their butts like you did.

+Karma

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m