• I am looking forward to this game a lot. It looks great. I have been reading anything that has come up about it from the people who have played it. I have seen people talk about the prices of the units there combat values but what I haven’t heard about is hit allocation. Is it the same as AAR where the defender chooses? Is there any element of random casualties? We have read about the transports not defending and can’t be used as shields and how bombardment has been improved. I also have heard whispers of “special dice” for certain units. So has anyone heard how hit allocation will be handled?

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

I am looking forward to this game a lot. It looks great. I have been reading anything that has come up about it from the people who have played it. I have seen people talk about the prices of the units there combat values but what I haven’t heard about is hit allocation. Is it the same as AAR where the defender chooses? Is there any element of random casualties? We have read about the transports not defending and can’t be used as shields and how bombardment has been improved. I also have heard whispers of “special dice” for certain units. So has anyone heard how hit allocation will be handled?

No random casualties. [Which saved this game, quite frankly.]

• I haven’t heard anything on casualties; but I think all that the “special dice” turned out to be was “fancier” (rounded corners) red and black dice (instead of white & black).  But obviously I wasn’t at GenCon…
    Thanks.

• I hope there is some reworking of combat casualites. I never liked that you chose what units got hit. I don’t want some over complicated system either though. Something simple but effective.

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

I hope there is some reworking of combat casualites. I never liked that you chose what units got hit. I don’t want some over complicated system either though. Something simple but effective.

My recommendation would be attacker and defender each roll a die at the beginning of combat, winner chooses casualties.  In the event of a tie, players take turns.

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

I hope there is some reworking of combat casualites. I never liked that you chose what units got hit. I don’t want some over complicated system either though. Something simple but effective.

I think that the casualties system is too much bond to the A&A game for being changed.

• Timeover51 not a bad idea except whoever wins will always pick the high value units to be destroyed. So the high valued units will die or the low units. At the beginning Artillery will never be picked.

• If you use that system:

ON land:

Armor hits go against armor and art first before infantry are selected

ON Air:

no change-your hits can be assigned as you wish.

ON naval:

Subs can only be hit by destroyers and cruisers, while Battleships can select their target, Plane hits on ships are treated normally
    subs cannot hit planes or other subs, and carriers can only hit planes and surface ships.

• Official Q&A

With the exception of transports and subs, casualties work the same way that they do in Revised.

• How are subs treated different? The need the destroyer to kill them like AAE?

• Official Q&A

@Admiral_Thrawn:

How are subs treated different? The need the destroyer to kill them like AAE?

It’s similar.  As in Europe and Pacific, you need a destroyer present in order for your air units to hit enemy subs.  Unlike Europe and Pacific, an allied destroyer won’t do - it has to be one of yours.

• Great for the game that Subs are finally IT! I love the thought of subs being bought and sneaking around unable to be attacked if out of range of destroyers and waiting to attack in conjunction with air units…

• Yes, I am having fond thoughts of US subs and bombers hunting Japanese transports and the carriers.  From the set-up, it looks like Japan may have only one Destroyer and no subs.  One bomber and two subs looks like a good buy for the West Coast, especially if the Japanese players leaves the carriers hanging around there.

As for casualties, Admiral, maybe each player could take turns removing damaged units.  Defender makes first choice, attacker second, and so on.

• Japan cant reach the American carrier. if you look at the picture its blocked on 2 sides.

• @timerover51:

As for casualties, Admiral, maybe each player could take turns removing damaged units.  Defender makes first choice, attacker second, and so on.

How about you post this in House Rule section, because it bothers me to read your house-rule suggestions in every Anniversary thread, its like spam. Now the traditional rule that let defender choose his casualties is very good and simple, so lets keep it. Both A&A Bulge and Guad did experiments with random casualties, and that did not enhance the game, it just booged it down.

• yea this has turned into house rules… so its going for a ride.

• I agree that the current method of defender choosing casualties is simple, so perhaps it should stay, but in war, the casualties were much more random, so here is my suggestion.

Custom create a Battle Board sheet. (A Microsoft Word table will do just fine.) Here is an example.

Battle Board
              Attacker’s Units
    1   2   3   4
    5   6   7   8
    9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20

Defender’s Units
    1 2 3   4
    5 6 7   8
    9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20

Now, when a battle is declared, place the units on the board on a number in any order begining from the number 1 position.

Roll the Attacker’s dice as normal, for example there are 6 units defending, 4 Infantry on #'s 1-4, a Tank on #5, and a Fighter on #6.  You get 3 hits, so now you roll 3 6-sided dice to see which units were hit. For example, you roll a 2, a 2, and a 6.  Now you re-roll the second 2 and it is a 4, so the defender lost 2 Infantry and 1 Fighter.

You, the attacker, attacked with 4 Infantry, 3 Tanks, a Fighter, and a Bomber, so you place your units on the Attacker’s side #1-4=Infantry, 5-7=Tanks, 8=Fighter, 9=Bomber.  The defender only hit twice, so he rolls 2 10-sided dice. (If he rolls a 10 or the same number, then he just re-rolls until he hits a valid target)  He rolls a 5 and a 9, so he hits a Tank and a Bomber.

After casualties have been removed, then move the survivors down to the lowest numbers and use smaller-sided dice as needed.

Continue the battle until someone wins, or the attacker retreats.

Of course, you would need to have multi-sided dice such as, 4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, 10-sided, 12-sided, and 20-sided, but you can find these relatively easy at a hobby or gaming shop.

This system would seem to be fair, easy to use, and a bit more historical than the current system.

Of course there could be an occasion where you attack a fleet and happen to hit his 2 fully loaded carriers on the first turn, so you decide to retreat, which results in the 4 Fighters being lost at sea, but as we say, “Them’s the breaks!”

Using this system to assign Sub hits (to make sure that it’s not on Air units) would actually not be that difficult.  You would just have to roll them separately, and if the Sub hits an Air unit, then just reroll the die until it hits a valid target.

What do y’all think?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m