Axis & Allies World Championship 2008

• I’d like to speak in favor of the open-ended structure of the DAAK tournament.

If each club were only to send a certain number of players, people that don’t have time to participate in that club’s tournament scene would be ineligible.

For these boards, the tournament scene is a move a day.  A move a DAY!  :roll:

Come on, I wouldn’t want to be eliminated from the Big Tournament just because I like to sleep in a few times a week.  :-D

• Hi,

in the World Championship a move has to be done every 3rd day, e.g. your opponent does his move at day 1 so you have to move at day 4 latest.

Bye,
    Lili

• @Lili:

Hi,

in the World Championship a move has to be done every 3rd day, e.g. your opponent does his move at day 1 so you have to move at day 4 latest.

Bye,
    Lili

Yes, the “move a day” refers to the axisandallies.org tournaments.

• @newpaintbrush:

For these boards, the tournament scene is a move a day.  A move a DAY!  :roll:

Come on, I wouldn’t want to be eliminated from the Big Tournament just because I like to sleep in a few times a week.  :-D

I know a move a day as a minimum seems painfully slooow to complete a game so I totally understand the rule. But that’s actually why I’ve never signed up for an A&A.org tournament. My problem is that sometimes my dsl connection just doesn’t want to be a dsl connection. I think it’s a wiring thing because sustained high winds often cause connection problems. So I might have a couple days here and there where I can’t reliably get online. So I just don’t sign up for the tournaments at all instead of becoming blacklisted as some bum who craps out and forfeits games all the time. ~ZP

• I am glad to see that there are options besides our strict time rules for players who want a ranked option for games.

With DAAK’s time restriction for their Tournament, that creates a 4th option for gaming…

A&A.ORG Tournaments with 24 hour posting requirement, 4 week game time limit
    DAAK Touarnments with 3 day posting requirement, open ended game limit
    A&A.ORG League with 7 day posting requirement, 10 month maximum game limit (hard date cut-off)
    A&A.ORG standard games…  no time restrictions at all.

And with increased activity among all of the players from multiple sites, all players can find the format that best suits them and be active and enjoy.

And with all of the recent activity on this site for translations to other languages…  I am glad to see the global gaming community moving closer together!

• Actually for tournament games we have a game limit of 2 (2nd edition) or 2.5 months (AAR). After this period the match goes for jurisdication, where it is determined which players moves on into the next tournament round. This is necessary to ensure that the tournament is ended within an acceptable timeframe.
    But: The jurisdication does not determine who is the winner of the game, only the person who will go into the next tournament round.

Non tournament games have no game limit and the turn time is whatever the players agree on (default three days).

• Still a much more relaxed time frame than with our Tournaments (or even with our League)…

Just trying to let folks know they have options :-)

• Hello ncscswitch,

thanks for your post. Additional I just want to clarify that we didn´t post in order to catch axisandallies.org members for our tourneys (of course every player is welcome anytime!). It would just be nice to host as many players as possible from other clubs to play a worthy World Championship together.
    So if some of you like to be our guests for a while… just let us know. Especially your sign-up is missing, ncscswitch, since you already played quite a lot games at DAAK (and you are current No. 19 of the rankings).  :-D
    We posted at AAMC as well, but I think they are still not sure, if they are a match to our players!  :evil:
    Another thing: We hope we can provide our own new AAR dicey for the first time, when the tourney starts.

Bye,
    Lili

Welcome to the DAAKers.   :-)

You’re always free to post here if you have an upcoming event or something.  We also have an Events Forum.

We actually have quite a bit of crossover with DAAK, I know several users are registered at both (including me) but I’m not sure how many actually participate in your Tournaments.

I’ve been a bit hesitant to join tournaments b/c of potential language issues.  I only speak English which isn’t a problem for an occassional game at DAAK but I was concerned about it for a tournament situation.

So, my question to you is, do you know if most DAAK players have at least a little understanding of English?  I mean enough for turn posting and game talk.  Or have you ever run into a language issue for tournament game?

Another question on this tournament, it is my understanding that anyone that signs up will start playing on March 1 in some type of qualifying game, then out of all those games the top 16 (or 16 winners) will then play in the Final tournament.  Is this correct?

Also, I’m assuming you you’ll be using the FIDA (split bid) type placement?

• @DarthMaximus:

Welcome to the DAAKers.   :-)

Thanks.  :-)

@DarthMaximus:

You’re always free to post here if you have an upcoming event or something.  We also have an Events Forum.

Sounds good. Not all clubs are that generous.

@DarthMaximus:

We actually have quite a bit of crossover with DAAK, I know several users are registered at both (including me) but I’m not sure how many actually participate in your Tournaments.

I’ve been a bit hesitant to join tournaments b/c of potential language issues.  I only speak English which isn’t a problem for an occassional game at DAAK but I was concerned about it for a tournament situation.

Yes, I see, you are our No. 9 in the rankings, right? Another axisandallies.org top player missing right now in the tourney.  :wink:

@DarthMaximus:

So, my question to you is, do you know if most DAAK players have at least a little understanding of English?  I mean enough for turn posting and game talk.

I would go so far to say that EVERY german player (or other european player in the club) has enough understanding of English. Actually the mails between the players concerning the gameplay are all written in English, e.g. “taken with 1 INF” and so on. We have American players who play a lot of (and even win) tournaments. All announcements of the club are made in german as well as in english, especially those concerning tournaments.

@DarthMaximus:

Or have you ever run into a language issue for tournament game?

No.

@DarthMaximus:

Another question on this tournament, it is my understanding that anyone that signs up will start playing on March 1 in some type of qualifying game, then out of all those games the top 16 (or 16 winners) will then play in the Final tournament.  Is this correct?

Also, I’m assuming you you’ll be using the FIDA (split bid) type placement?

Yes, both is correct. We will have a qualification in the same kind of gameplay as the finals will be. K.O. system. Players of the same club will not play against each other in the first round. But after round 1 every match will be drawn random.
    And yes, we use the FIDA bid.

Bye,
    Lili

• One of my goals as DAAK president is to finish the transformation of DAAK into a bilingual club. All internet sites are available in English and German, however a few may still need a workover in terms of english grammar and wording.
    If you see any page that needs immediate attention or if you encounters problems during sign-up due to understanding problems please let me know. I will fix that immediately.

Thanks guys for the responses and info.

@Lili:

Yes, I see, you are our No. 9 in the rankings, right? Another axisandallies.org top player missing right now in the tourney.  :wink:

I think I might be dropping some spots though.  :cry:
    I’m in a tough LL game with Erwin_Rommel (#10).

I think I might sign-up I just have to make sure I’ll have the time before I commit to it.

• And if you sign-up: remember that you write me for which club you want to play, since you have the choice.  8-)

• Lili I appreciate the offer, but alas I do not have the time that I used to have…
    With being the Admin for our Tournament here, no way I could free up the time to comit.

I am still 19th eh?  I peaked at 5th early last year, then had a run of losses…  :cry:

• 2007 AAR League

I’m willing to throw my name into the mix to play in this tournament, although I think I am still learning the game so to speak.
    I personally think that A&A.org is definetly the best place to play, the main reason is that its easy to navigate around, find games and the fact that there are alot of really good gamers playing. But I would enjoy playing in this tounament on behalf of A&A.org if the powers to be are happy for me to do so. Also being from Australia, with the only player that I know from Australia being Tekky from this site, it would be good to have a representitive from there.
    Cheers,
              Rand.

• Hi Rand,

sounds good.  :-) Could you send me a mail to aaworldcup@daak.de, please? Then I can tell you who to sign-up (it´s only one thing to do).
    I hope we can find a few other players, following Rand to the Rhine and keeping up the aa.org flag!

Bye,
    Lili

• I’ll join Rand and compete. It will be an honor to play under the A&A ORG flag.

I’ll send you an email Lili.

• @JWW:

I’ll join Rand and compete. It will be an honor to play under the A&A ORG flag.

all the best

i am sure you can do very well there  :wink:

• And you?  :wink:

• well, i am not among the best on this forum

and this tournament would ask from me, serious strategy and planning since i would be defending the colors of A&A site.

You see, in my latest games, almost always i played my move immediately after i saw the opponents one,

and i will try to avoid that in tournament, not that is bad, but still…

but if i catch some time-depending on the work and other stuff…i would gladly see JWW/Randamctses game and help with any advice i can give

they represent our site, its the same as i play :wink:

but thanks, anyway :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m