The Russian Expiditionary Force in Iraq

• @Caesar:

I don’t see how diverting critical units when the Red Army is at its very smallest to possibly lose them in Iraq just to get 3 dollars ( I think Iraq is worth 3, not too sure) is going to be worth the diversion when Germany can already beat USSR on its own and even more of a nightmare if Italy and Japan join the invasion.

Iraq itself is worth 2, but to the USSR it is 5 because of the spread of communism objective

• @Elsass-Lorraine:

@Caesar:

I don’t see how diverting critical units when the Red Army is at its very smallest to possibly lose them in Iraq just to get 3 dollars ( I think Iraq is worth 3, not too sure) is going to be worth the diversion when Germany can already beat USSR on its own and even more of a nightmare if Italy and Japan join the invasion.

Iraq itself is worth 2, but to the USSR it is 5 because of the spread of communism objective

Yeah, you’re right however is it worth it if you have to lose 5 dollars because you have allies on your territory.

• Caesar, I’m pretty sure that objective only applies to original Russian territory, but I’m not completely sure.

• @MEANWHILE:

@larrymarx:

2. Britain takes both Iraq and Persia in the first round. They are pulling units from the Pacific, meaning that they have more of an advantage in Europe. They must take advantage of that and get control of Africa and the Middle East. The plan is to eventually divert units so that India doesn’t fall. Moscow is in a lot of trouble so the western Allies must keep pressuring Europe. A strong Britain combined with the American fleet attempt to divert German resources away from Moscow to make up for the extra income they aren’t getting from Africa and the Middle East.

Why are they pulling units from the Pacific? It is possible that Britain Europe takes Iraq T2 with the Inf from Persia, plus the inf dropped by the tranny off of the coast of Egypt T1 and a plane or tank. This is the better course of action. Why would you pull from the Pacific theatre?

The reason why I pull India and have them attack Iraq is because Japan is NOT going to sack India on turn 1 or 2 so you can rush units over to help while if you use your forces in Egypt, which seems logical no doubt, that will come down to what YOU DO against Italy and thus reflect what Italy and Germany does to Egypt hence why I say if you’re going to invade Italian colonies, do it with Egypt from the get go. A lot of players for some reason under attack Iraq with UK and ANZAC or France cleans up Iraq. And I know I’m not the only one who builds mech infantry on India, have them convert Iran into the allies and then take their infantry and just hit Iraq.

• @Elsass-Lorraine:

Caesar, I’m pretty sure that objective only applies to original Russian territory, but I’m not completely sure.

Yes, you lose national prestige which is a 5 dollar lose. The reason for that is because you’re diverting critical forces to take Iraq. I said one should not do this if Axis DOW turn 1 and it doesn’t make sense if Germany rides no aggression until turn 4 as you should of already been massing defense forces and UK should already have the advantage of taking Iraq. The only way I can see USSR even remotely taking Iraq is if Axis outright ignores USSR like Germany just goes for Sea Lion and left its right flank weak. Plus with spread of communism, I tell the allies to let me move one infantry to their transports and take it to capture the Italian colonies that doesn’t have value. I think it’s called Italian Somalia for that 5 dollars.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

That’s correct.  But these two bonuses are not exclusive.   You get 2 + 3 = $5 NO for Iraq, and if you can delay Allied intervention in Russia, you may get 5$ for that (derived from the SZ 125 convoy NO; no Ally can be on Rus land territory and still get this but you may not get it anyway)

You have 2 transports, you can choose 2 targets.   If you don’t hit the Italians in horn of af., they go all over and UK has to deal with that irritation at an even worse time.

Agree w/ Caesar.  its 4$ and $3 for 1 and 0 value Africa.  its hard to get there without it being UK controlled already but leaving it is a fun idea its only $1

• I will say this, I will try attacking Iraq as USSR but outside the AI on Triple A, I have never seen Germany or Italy go for G1 DOW.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

there is so much to do on G1 that it ends up leaving your attackers open to destruction.  the differing result of a G1 vs G2 (grab 2$ Russia loses 2$ you lose a $5 bonus a turn later) is a wash but losing your thin frontline of guys is no good

• @taamvan:

there is so much to do on G1 that it ends up leaving your attackers open to destruction.

I came up with a G1 plan that prevents Russian counterattacks. The problem is you have to divert some aircraft so you can’t kill the British Channel fleet. To make up for that you just hit the two seazones that have British destroyers in them and then hope to get a few turns of convoys against Britain and deny Russia’s NO with a sub off of Norway. The Channel fleet ends up linking up with the Cairo fleet and then Italy is forced to throw their entire fleet at them because attacking gives them better odds than defending at that point. However, Russia is hammered into a fully defensive position and Germany will very likely take Moscow on G5 - that is, unless the Allies land 10 fighters and 5 bombers there, which they are more than capable of doing.

I tested this scenario and I didn’t like the result for the Axis, but if it sounds like something anyone else would like to try I can post the plan. I call it the “convoy gambit”. In general I am not a fan of G1 but if I wanted to try it again I’d use this plan.

• @MEANWHILE:

@larrymarx:

2. Britain takes both Iraq and Persia in the first round. They are pulling units from the Pacific, meaning that they have more of an advantage in Europe. They must take advantage of that and get control of Africa and the Middle East. The plan is to eventually divert units so that India doesn’t fall. Moscow is in a lot of trouble so the western Allies must keep pressuring Europe. A strong Britain combined with the American fleet attempt to divert German resources away from Moscow to make up for the extra income they aren’t getting from Africa and the Middle East.

Why are they pulling units from the Pacific? It is possible that Britain Europe takes Iraq T2 with the Inf from Persia, plus the inf dropped by the tranny off of the coast of Egypt T1 and a plane or tank. This is the better course of action. Why would you pull from the Pacific theatre?

I can explain this but I will start with why Iraq is definitely a good option for Russia. They will immediately make up for the loss of 1-2 infantry in Iraq with 5 IPC’s from the territory. The tank, mech and plane can make it back safely to Moscow and their absence won’t be noticed. You may end up forgoing one possible counterattack but those are really only worth the value of the territory you take plus a 1/3 chance of killing one German infantry when the infantry hits on defense. That’s 2 IPC’s, and it doesn’t matter that much. So you make up for your sacrifices after the first two turns, then you are killing it with an extra 1.66 infantry in Moscow each turn.

There are two viable counterarguments to this strategy. First, if Moscow falls you are losing hard. Second, Britain might be able to use the 2 IPC’s/turn better attacking Germany’s flanks. Both of these point to a KGF strategy if you let Britain have Iraq. You aren’t going to have those extra Russian troops, so you had better make up for it by using Britain’s extra potential to pressure Germany. This is why you should pull offensive units and the transport out of the Pacific theater and just turtle there, sending units from Persia if you need to.

• Personally I always park 2 Inf in Caucasus and 1 Mech + 1 Tank in Rosstov to march on NW Persia.
    It never ended badly and more than once I conquered It. Somaliland and/or Lybia with the Mech or Tank.

But, to be honest, I am as much a noob on this game as my fellow friends which are playing against me.  :roll:

• @Fiera:

Personally I always park 2 Inf in Caucasus and 1 Mech + 1 Tank in Rosstov to march on NW Persia.
    It never ended badly and more than once I conquered It. Somaliland and/or Lybia with the Mech or Tank.

But, to be honest, I am as much a noob on this game as my fellow friends which are playing against me.  :roll:

My strategic choice in this matter is to either take an infantry and ask UK to take him to Italian Somalia so I can get the Spread of Communist bonus or if s/he refuses, I use a mech infantry and drive him down there.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

I usually prepare mechanized units to take Iraq.  If Germany waits, the troops put pressure in China and the UK takes Iraq.

I usually also weaken Iraq with the UK first (sometimes I take it unwillingly and I’m OK with that, not the end of the world)

• @Omega1759:

I usually prepare mechanized units to take Iraq.  If Germany waits, the troops put pressure in China and the UK takes Iraq.

I usually also weaken Iraq with the UK first (sometimes I take it unwillingly and I’m OK with that, not the end of the world)

Isn’t Iraq two infantry?

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Caesar:

@Omega1759:

Isn’t Iraq two infantry?

Definitely 3 infantry. One of my favorite trick is to Attack from both side and move the two infantries from Persia to Transjordan in the retreat. It makes it much harder for Egypt to fall.

• My tactics is for India to produce mech infantry on its turn and then have it convert Iran and use Persian infantry backed by Indian Mech Infantry to convert Iraq.

• Where in the rules can I find the clear ruling that USRR get 3 IPC for all nations on the Europe map. My last game my opponents disagreed and argued it was all in the actual continent Europe (including Turkey) as otherwise the including Turkey would make no sense. Maybe you know where I can show them?

• Europe is ruled by the board itself so all nations in Europe count for it, not Pacific.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

“3 IPCs for each original German, Italian, or pro-Axis neutral territory that the Soviet Union controls.”  Pacific rules, P36.

It has nothing to do with which board, except that there are no German or Italian territories on the Pacific Board.  The only debatable word is ORIGINAL.  Not EUROPE (which isn’t in that sentence).  There are also no Pro-Axis neutrals on that side, though I guess Mongolia could become Pro-Allies, never Pro-Axis.

ORIGINAL means as it is color-coded on the printed map.  Regardless of if your set-up changes the INTIAL owners (say, G42), only the territories of your nation that are color-coded that way are original.  Thus, Persia is never “original” even if UK controls it at the beginning of the game.

• Actually from my understanding, Mongolia could go pro axis. If USSR attacks Japan in their territory, it breaks Mongolia and it becomes strict neutral there for if the allies attack any neutral then, it would then turn pro Axis as all neutrals join that side.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m