• 2007 AAR League

I noticed IL is no longer a mod …

• Founder TripleA Admin

Off topic is fine as long as it goes back on topic. It’s called an aside.

@nuno:

@ncscswitch:

:-P, but that was a slow mo game on one and I had to spend a LOT of tiem re-setting my board between moves :-P

Off topic…

I guess some can do it without consequences.

• @NoMercy:

This is a gaming site true,

I think PD and GD should be removed as well. (will save a lot of poeple of time and arguing.)

People check those on their own volition.  The have to purposely click on multiple links before even seeing a discussion.

If it weren’t for Toshiba, I’d be doing some gaming right now, so all I’ve really got are the PD & GD right now…

For example it will save Switch a ton of time (I think as he stated he is the only Mod which checks these)
    and a ton of other poeple just go in there and argue.

We must also keep in mind the younger audience who may come in for a peek or may want to play some games, so we should keep PD, GD and language etc… out of it, that is just my opinion though.

I missed seeing what happened over last week, but honestly, the PD & GD are pretty mild compared to MANY forums I’ve seen.  It’s not like we are ruining the internet here.

• I’ve always thought that the GD forum was pretty civilised and friendly.  I am hesitant to ask but I’m curious as to “the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

• About 5 hit at once.

• '19 Moderator

@NoMercy:

This is a gaming site true,

I think PD and GD should be removed as well. (will save a lot of poeple of time and arguing.)

The People that post on PD usualy enjoy argueing or they wouldn’t read that forum…

@NoMercy:

For example it will save Switch a ton of time (I think as he stated he is the only Mod which checks these)
    and a ton of other poeple just go in there and argue.

I browse through PD and try to watch for naughtiness, the difference is I generally just look for language and name-calling.  I don’t care if dumb people type dumb stuff…  I would also like to mention the function “report post”  If you find somthing offensive report it and I will look.  I am not going to sit 24 hrs a day and watch what people type, I actualy have a day job…

• LOL, I have to clarify something in light of what DF posted…

When the “Report to Moderator” button is pushed, ALL Mods get the notice by e-mail. The first one of us online once such a report is sent is the one who will usually make the initial judgment and take any immediate action needed (lock a thread, delete or edit a post).  Or, if they are unsure, they will post their thoughts for other Mods to review and we get some consensus on such things.

“Report to moderator” brings ALL of us in.

Other mods read some of the threads that interested them, or that they were active in.  Others, as DF posted, would scan looking for obvious issues.

I did however try to read each and every post (which is why it ate up so much of my time).  And the fact that i DID make that investment of time into all of that reading is why I also posted a LOT of replies… that was the “return on my investment” of time.

If and/or when GD and/or PD are reopened, I will NOT resume reading every single thread.  This week has actually been very nice.  I have been able to focus on my game, and I PLAY BETTER when I am thinking about my game instead of the other stuff on the site.

And for me, the timing could not have been better coming into the Fall 2-on-2 Tournament, and with me cracking 10 League wins with only 4 months to go in this year’s League :-D

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

If and/or when GD and/or PD are reopened, I will NOT resume reading every single thread.  This week has actually been very nice.  I have been able to focus on my game, and I PLAY BETTER when I am thinking about my game instead of the other stuff on the site.

And for me, the timing could not have been better coming into the Fall 2-on-2 Tournament, and with me cracking 10 League wins with only 4 months to go in this year’s League :-D

I don’t think that’s a good thing when I’m the person you’re playing :lol:

• If it needs to be easier on the Mods what about some way of limiting the number of ongoing threads? Just an idea I had. I imagine it would be very difficult to code? Perhaps a vote to call a discussion closed and allow a new discussion to begin? You could only cast a vote if you’d posted in the discussion.

• Great idea, but SMF does not allow for it.

I always was a fan of a per-day post limit for PD of 5 posts, but no way to code that either.

• 2007 AAR League

that seems like kind of a ridiculous rule IMO

• 2007 AAR League

Damn … I think that GD should at least be brought back … that never really got to heated up and it is a nice place to post cool things like this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20070815/us_time/agiantgolfballformissiledefense

• As a former mod, i can certainly relate to what NC has been describing.  I often found myself allowing personal attacks against myself go by when i would have deleted/reprimanded for similar attacks made on other people, and yet i still was repeatedly berated for using the fora for pushing my own agenda and personal attacks (like the one that BL recently made against me in reference to my medical abilities).  And yet i was voluntarily giving up time to go over every post in the discussion and A&A fora in order to keep the fora civil and G-rated.  Eventually my work got the better of me, and i was unable to keep my modding duties - having said that, it was not a sad thing giving it up for the most part given the flames etc. (not meaning to bitch, but rather relating some of the difficulties that the mods have to deal with).
    So yeah - i can appreciate the mod’s/owner not rushing to re-instate the PD/GD boards.  Having said all of this, i think it also reasonable to have a GD page with 2 mods with the simple directive to “keep it civil” with both written AND implied rules, with a free hand to delete posts that are clearly flame-y. 
    As for PD - it is reasonable to allow for a “clean-up” period where it is re-instated at some point in the intermediate future such that people here simply to post on the PD fora leave, and the gamers stick around for some fun and interesting discussion (one would hope).
    Frimmel’s suggestion is an interesting one, and reasonable if the mods are feeling “overworked”.

• With enough mods and admins, you could have several routed PD forums,
    Democrats / liberals,
    Republicans / conservatives,
    Progressives / Libertarians / Greens

That way the posters would know what response to expect based on what they posted where.

• Throw in an unmoderated Flame forum for folks to vent anger.

You can also balance it with an Affirmations forum so newbies to the site can be exposed to the uplifting side of our growing community.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

What if locking a thread was limited to djensen or Yanny?  Moderators could recommend it be locked, give djensen and Yanny the reason why, and then they could make the final decision?  This would stop the very irritating habit of moderators posting a personal, heated opinion and then locking out any counter arguments.  Just reading this thread I know I’m not the only person irritated by that too common occurrence that frequents these boards.

• This would stop the very irritating habit of moderators posting a personal, heated opinion and then locking out any counter arguments.  Just reading this thread I know I’m not the only person irritated by that too common occurrence that frequents these boards.

Funny, isn’t that what congress does on a daily basis?

RB

• '19 Moderator

@Jennifer:

What if locking a thread was limited to djensen or Yanny?  Moderators could recommend it be locked, give djensen and Yanny the reason why, and then they could make the final decision?  This would stop the very irritating habit of moderators posting a personal, heated opinion and then locking out any counter arguments.  Just reading this thread I know I’m not the only person irritated by that too common occurrence that frequents these boards.

That would defeat the purpose of having moderators.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I don’t have time for that. I doubt Yanny does either.

@Jennifer:

• 2007 AAR League

Yanny hasn’t been active for a while … is he coming back?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m