• Rather than simply increase the Axis starting units by bids, how about this idea for making the game even:

Add one or more of the following countries as Axis powers: Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Switzerland.  Have these worth 6 ipcs and move some of the initial units on the board to defend these against a R1 attack.  I would also make Turkey connect to E. Europe.

I think I’d like to try Spain as German for 3 ipcs, initial units of 2 inf and fighter and Turkey as Japanese for 3 ipcs, initial units of 3 inf.  I think I would at some point build a factory in Turkey to help reinforce Germany from the 1-2-3 Allied attack.

Thoughts?

• It’s an interesting approach, and I don’t think the possibilities of doing this are realized.
    Turkey is just asking to be taken (based on the initial numbers you gave), and I feel that Spain would be an additional burden on Germany.  I’m sure you could modify the troops & type, but it doesn’t seem to even the playing field with the addition of a few more troops and more territory to protect (it feels like a negation to me).  If the territory value is added to their initial IPC total (Germany is now at 35, Japan 28), then that would be different and a viable option (I think).
    As far as bidding goes, you could always offer the total IPCs as an addition to their 1st round purchases, rather than having them drop the units at the beginning (allowing them to immdediately attack).  Maybe even have the bid to be used as upgrading existing units only, not adding any additional pieces (such as spend 1 IPC to upgrade an inf to a tank, but you couldn’t spend 3 IPCs to place another tank).
    There’s even a possibility of exchanging territories.  Such as, having Germany start out with holding the Caucases.  It would be tricky to work in, but could change the game drastically.
    Maybe try a game with your suggestion and see what happens?  It could be a very different game…

• adding spain might actually hurt germany more than help it. the advantages of an axis spain are the ipc value of the territory (whatever that is) and the ability of germany to take gibraltar without the need of an amphibous assault. the big disadvantage is that it makes it a lot harder for germany to defend europe. in the original game it was too easy for the allies to spend 3 ipcs to invade spain and use that as a staging point to move throughout europe. one reason why the revised edition is more balanced is that the allies can’t invade spain anymore. this restricts what the allies can do and thus makes it easier for germany to prepare and defend against any invasion.

one rule that i like to use is neutral aid to germany: if germany controls all the territories surrounding a neutral terriotry than germany gets the ipc of that neutral territory (you can decide what that ipc value is before the game starts).

• Spain as German for 3 ipcs, initial units of 2 inf and fighter and Turkey as Japanese for 3 ipcs, initial units of 3 inf.

A few comments… Spain should get 3 infantry, 1 artillery,1 armor, 1 destroyer, while Turkey gets the same minus the destroyer. Value of Spain and Turkey=3 IPC. The German player rolls one die for Spain for each turn they occupy Egypt and a total of 5 IPC in Africa. Spain is an ally on a roll of 6, each turn additionally the number required goes down to -1, so if you are on the 4th roll then you need a 3 or higher to have Spain fight for Germany. In Turkeys case, for each turn Germany occupies Caucasus or Egypt and has all its original “Grey” territories in eastern europe ( not including finland) then it gets the same roll and conditions. The roll is performed at the very start of the turn, so if it works , Germany gets the money of these allies right away. Any units bought can be placed either in a German controlled Factory or the units can actually go in Spain or Turkey ( its up to the German player).

• I’m guessing you are basing that historically?  Is that right?
    It sounds like something for advanced play as it adds so many new things to remember, but I guess if someone is agreeing to add Spain or Turkey, then they may not mind.

• I’m guessing you are basing that historically?  Is that right

yes right… neutrals are not getting any play in this game and it sucks… IMO

• No, that’s not what I meant.

You based the suggestions for the house rules on historical events?  Such as the proposed troop type…was that the current relative size of Spain’s forces?  I don’t know…just curious.

• The composition of forces is historically based… its loosely based on my own research and ruleset for some of my own games. Im sure you seen my site right?

Heres a letter to Hitler (you can see how close things almost got)
    http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/wwii/spain/sp13.htm

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m