Mongolia and Neutrals - rules summarized here

• Just want to clarify 1 more thing?
    Mongolia is the only nuetral consisting of more than 1 territory.Can you have a situation where 1 area has joined Russia or gone pro-axis while other parts are still neutral?
    My assumption is Mongolia is divided into 6 territories to reflect lack of road and rail at the time .

• No, Mongolia is all or nothing.

• @ampdrive:

Mongolia is the only nuetral consisting of more than 1 territory.Can you have a situation where 1 area has joined Russia or gone pro-axis while other parts are still neutral?

This is answered in the original post, I think.
    When Mongolia automatically joins Russia because Japan breaks the pact, all Mongolian territories become Russian immediately.

Mongolia will ONLY go pro-Axis if Russia directly attacks a Mongolian territory.  (all the remaining Mongolian territories would go pro-Axis)
    If an Ally other than Russia attacks Mongolia, the rest of Mongolia would remain neutral.

So you could have a Mongolia that’s partly true neutral (but all the rest of the true neutrals in the world would be pro-Axis) and partly controlled by a non-Russian Ally.  If Russia attacks Mongolia, all remaining neutral Mongolian territories turn pro-Axis.

So it’s possible that an Ally (like USA) could attack Mongolia first, which would cause all other true neutrals to go pro-Axis, but the remaining Mongolian territories would still be neutral (not pro-Axis).  But then if Russia were to attack one of these neutral Mongolia territories after the USA did, then the remaining Mongolian neutral territories would turn pro-Axis.

• 4) Despite what Triple A says, you do NOT declare war on neutrals

this is new to me but isn t it more or less the same?

• It was causing some confusion for some players.

It was a bigger deal before this last Triple A update, because Triple A made you “declare war” on the neutrals before you did your purchases.  (Rulebook says declarations of war occur at the beginning of the combat move phase)

You don’t have to make a decision to “declare war” on the neutrals before your combat move because there is no such thing as “declaring war” on the neutrals.  You just attack neutrals.  If you attack a strict neutral, all the others turn pro-the other side (except Mongolia when Allies attack a neutral)
    Playing by the rule book, you can do all your combat moves, and then decide whether you were going to attack a neutral, which is more convenient.

• If Axis attack strict neutrals, Mongolia becomes pro-allied?!

• @Amon-Sul:

If Axis attack strict neutrals, Mongolia becomes pro-allied?!

Yes.  The Mongolians have to be activated like other pro-allied territories.

The only time Mongolia becomes instant Russian is when Japan breaks the pact

Mongolians will only become pro-Axis if Russia attacks a Mongolian territory.

• Game: 14L G40 BombsAway (axis) vs. MrRoboto (Allies +9)
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32460.15
    Turn 5: Russia attacks Korea sucessfully. This breaks the pact or not?

Turn 6: Japan move to Amur, TripleA  changed the Status from Mongolians automatically and joins Russia.

Did i missed something here because for me Russia breaks to pact in Turn 5, and Japan should can attack in Turn 6 Amur during Mongolians remains neutral, is this a Bug in TripleA?

• Yeah, that sounds wrong.
    Russia attacking Korea breaks the pact, so you shouldn’t have Mongolia joining the Russians when Japan attacks Amur.

• ok thanxs for your clarification Gamerman, maybe you can add this bug to your list after you checked it please?

• That game was only using the Alpha +3 rules, while Korea was only added to the territories Russia can break the pact with in the 2nd Edition ruleset. So in this case, TripleA did play the rules correctly.

• That’s right, Korea was added between Alpha3 and 2nd edition.  It was one of the few changes (deletion of Yukon territory from the map being the other, I think)

• ok i dont checked the Version, i thought all Liga games are Global 1940 second Edition. Thanxs for the hint ColonelCarter!

• To the top

• Nice one.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Man, you gotta believe there must have been an easier way to encourage the Non Agression pact, without requiring such complex Mongolia rules.  Or a way to provide disincentives for the neutral crush, or dealing with the Dutch, without requiring so many specific rules to be memorized.

The second edition would have been a nice oppertunity to step back and say “Ok let’s simplify all this” down to just couple basic conditions, reducing the Mongolia weirdness, instead of tacking on even more territory specific politics rules.

Like all that Mongolia stuff just to keep the Japanese out of Amur?
    Or with the Dutch, all those exceptions just to give Anzac a gamey landing spot in Sumatra?
    It’s just a lot of rules, for a comparitvely small payoff, in gameplay terms. There must have been an easier way to approach this.

I know it’s a dead horse, but I can’t help but repeat the old lament… I wish they didn’t try do so much at once with Global. A bigger map, with more nations and an expanded unit roster would have been a lot in and of iself. But then they had to go and throw all the political rules and objectives on top of it. It’s like, wouldn’t it make more sense to test the waters first, before diving in headlong? See how sales hold up for a large combined map game, and gauge player response to that idea by itself, before setting in 1940?

Oh well, that ship has already sailed I guess. But threads like this remind me why so many people I know are intimidated by Axis and Allies 1940 haha. Its because the rulebook reads like a confusing study guide, for a poorly written standardized test, in some subject you’re not very familiar with hehe. Basically you just skipped from Pre-Algebra to Calculus, without any primer. And now you’re all stressed out for trick questions on Mondays exam lol!
    :-D

• Well, this version of the NAP is better than “the players can decide what the consequences of breaking the pact would be.”

Although it’s not really a NAP, since Russia can still help China and even attack Japanese-occupied China, as long as it doesn’t border Mongolia.

• Oh my goodness Black Elk spoke eloquently for me and I love it on the rare occasion that someone does that

What was wrong with the +12 to Moscow or Tokyo when the other one breaks it?!

• Hmm, wasn’t it 12 IPC’s that could be spent on troops in Siberia (for Russia)? Or am I misremembering?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Hmm, wasn’t it 12 IPC’s that could be spent on troops in Siberia (for Russia)? Or am I misremembering?

First Edition of G40, yes, not the Second Edition.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m