• Sponsor

Alpha+3 has had a small modification, The European NO for America now reads, $5 for every round the US has at least 1 unit in France.

• Customizer

Dang it!  I thought he wasn’t going to make any more changes after Nov 2nd.  Well, at least this NO is better than the last one.

• Sponsor

I wonder if 94canuck’s charts reflect this.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@knp7765:

Dang it!  I thought he wasn’t going to make any more changes after Nov 2nd.  Well, at least this NO is better than the last one.

Certainly is.  No more hit and run attacks on W. France. (Land 20 units there, then pull out and dump on Norway the next round.  Done that twice now.)

• Customizer

Personally, I don’t care for the “one time” NOs.  I think they should be every round.  A “one time” $5 NO really isn’t much of an incentive at all, especially when it’s for USA which is already making a lot of money.  Now, the “one time” NO for USSR holding Berlin is different.  For one thing it’s $10 and another is that If USSR gets Berlin, the game is pretty close to being over unless it is one of those silly SNAFU type situations – EG Russia builds a transport and ferries 2 inf to an unprotected Germany.  I saw that happen once.

Still, even a $5 every turn NO may not be enough incentive for the US to get into Europe very quickly.  Personally, I like the NO but I’ve found that the best ALlied strategy is for the US to pound Japan really good and then start sending stuff to Europe.  Otherwise Japan gets too strong and may sneak an Axis victory on the Pacific board.  I’m just saying that if you REALLY want to tempt the US to do more in the Atlantic earlier, the NO has to be much juicier, or have more than one.

I could see a game in which Germany falls but the Axis still win, because Japan could still pick up that last VC (say Hawaii?) for the win.

• Customizer

Oh yeah, I have seen it happen.  A little while back, our US player went almost 100% Atlantic.  Italy was smashed into rubble and Germany was all hemmed in.  However, Japan was left unchecked in the Pacific and got 7 victory cities.  Only one they didn’t get was San Francisco.  ANZAC, China and India were pretty much extinct.  THey even had a decent chunk of Russia too.

By the way, perhaps you can answer a question about the Rocket Tech.  We are playing a game where each country that has $25+ gets one free tech roll.  UK got Rockets.  They have 3 airbases within 4 spaces of Southern Italy – Gibraltar, Malta and Egypt (I kept the Gib & Malta airbases in setup and UK bought one for Egypt).  Now, I know it is ONE rocket attack per base per turn.  My question is can you attack a facility with more than one rocket as long as you have more than one base in range?  Example:  Can UK hit the S Italy IC 2 or 3 times?

It’s never been an issue before this version.  My opinion?  Yes, you can hit the same facility an unlimited number of times if you had unlimited airbases in range.

• Customizer

Thanks Jen.  I thought it was okay, but wasn’t sure.  We are taking a break right now.  For the first attack, since I wasn’t sure about the rule, UK used 1 attack on each facility in S Italy;  one on the IC, one on the air base and one on the naval base.

By the way, you should see this game we are in now.  Japan has been taken out by USA.  Italy is next to useless due to British bombers.  The only reason Italy hasn’t been invaded is due to lots of German troops and tanks backing them up.  USA is very strong and since Japan is out, they can focus even more on Germany.  UK is in pretty good shape too.

On the other hand, Germany is VERY strong, have most of Russia and are trying to work their way into the Middle East.  UK is fighting hard to stop them there.  India has been taken out but since Japan can’t buy any more units, I think they will be liberated by ANZAC soon.  China has a ton of men all along the border.  Germany probably won’t be venturing into China because there is just too many men and it would take too much resources.  USA landed in Norway and are threatening Leningrad.  Also, the only German naval presence is a destroyer they used to kill the last Russian sub.  Germany does seem to be able to keep up a fairly strong Luftwaffe.

Overall, while it will take a while, I think this will end up being an Allied victory.  Germany is making just over $100 per round with NOs and territory.  However, the USA is making about $90 and the UK is making $41 so together they outmatch Germany.  Plus, ANZAC is making close to $30 per round and the Japanese are almost wiped out (a decent sized garrison in India is it).  Once the Japanese are finished off, ANZAC will start sending stuff toward Europe which will be more problems for Germany has 6 VCs plus Italy still has Rome.  Unless Germany can manage to punch through to Cairo while holding Leningrad from the Americans, It’s going to be a slow, hard decline for Germany.  Right now they still have a chance, but that won’t last much longer.

• this is incorrect on the rockets. Sorry Jen, but a factory can only get attacked once a turn by rockets. No matter how many airbases are in range of the factory.

• Is Russia dead? like as in no men left? Even so I would say you are correct allies are going to win for sure in this game. Shouldn’t be too tough for the allies to keep germany out of egypt. No way Germany can handle a war against two huge income players. Their income by the way is only going to increase, while germany’s is going to decrease steadily since the allies have the trasnport advantage.

• Customizer

@theROCmonster:

Is Russia dead? like as in no men left? Even so I would say you are correct allies are going to win for sure in this game. Shouldn’t be too tough for the allies to keep germany out of egypt. No way Germany can handle a war against two huge income players. Their income by the way is only going to increase, while germany’s is going to decrease steadily since the allies have the trasnport advantage.

Well, they were.  Russia’s last men were 9 of the 18 Inf in the far east.  They started heading back to Moscow and Germany sent some tanks and killed them.  However, that large US force that landed in Norway proved too much for Germany and the USA has now liberated Russia.  Also, the Germans were trying to punch through in the Middle East but the UK held out in Iraq with help from ANZAC and French troops.  Now between the UK coming in from the south and the US coming in from the north, Germany has been pushed out of Russia except for E Poland and Bessarabia.

Also, US has Heavy Bombers and is just pounding the crap out of German ICs.  This last round, 3 bombers hit Germany and 3 hit W Germany.  German AA got no hits and the US bombers put 18 hit points on Germany and 20 on W Germany.  All German Minor ICs in France have been bombed or attacked with rockets by the UK.  Italy is no help whatsoever because all facilities are maxed out.  With convoy raids by a US sub, Italy is only getting 3-7 IPCs each round, which goes to repairing their IC and purchasing 1 unit.  Then UK blasts them again.  Also, India has been liberated and is sending bombers and fighters off to Europe to help out.

This is a very long game.  We just finished round 16.  Germany still has a lot of tanks, men and artillery though and wants to fight to the bitter end, which I am guessing will be another 2-4 rounds or so.  I have found this to be the case in most past games.  If everyone plays well, and there are no stupid blunders, generally when the Axis win it’s a fairly short game (7-8 rounds) but when the Allies win, it’s usually a pretty long game (13+ rounds).  Seems to me that the game kind of echos history that way.  The Axis were expecting quick victory by 1942, '43 at the latest.  The war dragged on and their economic inferiority showed itself.

• Sadly I think your game turned out accurately. I don’t see many axis victories if the allies play correctly. US puts all her money into the pacific for 7-10 rounds and then shifts into putting all her money into the atlantic for the rest of the game. Russia should be able to hold out, and even if she didn’t the allies still more than likely have won because the huge battle that would ensue for russia will kill almost all of germanys men and then the US and UK will have just many units to germany to deal with.

ROC,

If I didnt have 3 identical games going to demonstrate why the Axis should not lose, I would show you!

Check my game with Corrigan, Jim010 and Canuck.  I expect to win all 3 of them.

• Commander Jennifer,

How do we check on your games? Where are they?

Redjac

@Redjac:

Commander Jennifer,

How do we check on your games? Where are they?

Redjac

On these forums in the play games section.

Round 4 with Corriganbp, I have England and India and a large show of force down in the DEI for Japan.  He’s got infantry in China, but that does not bother me.  They are not getting reinfroced, they cannot take a VC and I am already close to a VC win for Japan.  Figure another 3 rounds and it’s lights out for the Allies.  (He evacuated the Pacific in hopes of being able to liberate London.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m