How to recover from a succesfull KFJ?

• Here is the situation:

I successfully operated a KJF strategy, Japan is in a very week spot, UK east making 28 a turn, ANZAC 24. Victory seems imminent in the Pac.

However, in the meanwhile, the Germans just built and built and built. They have managed to take South Africa, and have unlocked the standstill in which I had forced the Italians.

The Soviet have adopted a defensive strategy, yet Japan is pushing into their territories, from China. More importantly, the German invasion force appears close to unstoppable… (Probably 35inf, and 30 tank, if not more). Although they have yet to seriously start advancing into the soviet territory.

Is that normal with KJF? Because everyone seems to be saying that it is a great strategy, but I feel that I am about to take a severe pounding…

• Your chance with a KJF is that it might buy Germany enough time to win the game.
    I think in your case, your KJF might have been going on too long, meaning you didn’t just try to contain Japan before the USA shifted focus to Europe. Remember, you do not need to beat Japan into a pulp for a KJF to “work”.

• well  i just focused on japan for the firt 3-4 turns. so I really don’t see how I could have done less than that…. we are just starting turn 4 now. The German are not even within the borders of the USSR yet.

But they do indeed look like that they are going to tear the communists forces to bits…

• @captainhook:

well  i just focused on japan for the firt 3-4 turns. so I really don’t see how I could have done less than that…. we are just starting turn 4 now. The German are not even within the borders of the USSR yet.

But they do indeed look like that they are going to tear the communists forces to bits…

Well, the Germans can only advance one territory per turn if the Russians put at least one infantry in each territory.  Even if the Italians help to speed things up that can still buy some time for the US to land in Europe (Normandy/Gibraltar, probably).

• Sponsor

Take Japan and their money, use the minor in Tokyo to reenforce Moscow from the east. Build a Minor on Alaska to support both missions. If Russia goes down, use the Americans from the east to fight the Germans on scorched earth. Use UK and ANZAC to liberate Africa.

• @Grasshopper

Unfortunately in this version of the rules the Allies can’t take such a methodical approach to beating back Germany. If they get 8 cities on the European board, the whole Axis win, and this is quite likely with the fall of Russia.

I would propose piling a whole bunch of Americans at Gibraltar, forcing the Axis to defend at multiple points and eventually striking wherever is weakest. Reclaiming Cairo just before Moscow falls is an option, but Germany would be making quite a bit at that point so it’s tough to just sit back like that.

If you divert the Americans in this way to the European theater, I imagine the Pacific allies won’t then be able to help much because they’ll have their hands tied making sure Japan stays contained.

• I would either use a combined allied effort to retake Cairo, or reinforce Moscow. If you play Russia right, you should have ample time since Japan is out of the picture in the Pacific. Who owns DEI?

• Customizer

So you are starting round 4 and Germany hasn’t yet invaded Russia?  Also, it sounds like you have trashed the Jap navy and pretty much rule the Pacific, but Japan still has a sizable force approaching Russia from the east.  With as much as UK/India and ANZAC are making, it shouldn’t be too hard for them to keep Japan in check so that the US can focus all it’s resources on Europe.  Have ANZAC make mostly navy and aircraft buys and keep Japan from putting any more ships in the water.  UK/India should help with some aircraft but also use some tanks to liberate Chinese territories behind the Japanese force heading into Russia.  Then you will have Chinese infantry popping up everywhere and the Japanese ground force should be cut off.  They will have to choose to keep going against Russia or go backwards to try and retake Chinese territories.
    Also, Russia should be building lots of defense for Moscow.  I can’t imagine the Japanese have enough ground forces to really threaten to take Moscow.  However, there may be one problem.  If the Japanese force gets next to Moscow and sits until the German invasion force works it’s way there, the Japanese force could “banzai” itself on Moscow and weaken the defenses enough for the Germans to take it on their next turn.
    One other thing, if Germany did not take London, the Axis will need all three Russian cities plus Cairo to claim victory.  It could take a while to get Moscow if it is well defended and with the US heading toward Europe with 80+ IPCs per turn, it won’t be long before Axis victory cities start falling to the Allies – Rome, Cairo and perhaps even Paris.  Then even if Germany wins in Russia, the Axis are still screwed.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You may have spent too much time with Japan.  Keep in mind, Japan’s job in a KJF is to make the allies spend a lot of time dealing with them!

That said, Transports, Transports, TRANSPORTS!  You should be able to land 20-22 ground units a round into N. Africa and set up a direct threat on Italy and Egypt. (you need only liberated or hold enough VCs to stop Germany from winning while you amass overwhelming firepower.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m