• I just thought I would drop a little idea I had for a German Africa strategy.

Take your Battleship and lander from SZ 14 load the transport with an infantry and an armor/artillery and move both boats to SZ 15
    Drop the units on Anglo egypt where they meet

A plane from the balkans or Ukraine (or both?)
    Armor and Infantry from Libya

you kill the destroyer in the Med. and the brits on land, take 2 IPCs and have africa open for conquest this also gives flexibility (you can still drop the inf/arm combo back in caucasus with a bombard)

Any thoughts or ideas?

-Ryan

• Yes that´s more or less the strategy 98% of the German players use in G1, but you should also take the bomber from Berlin, not only one fig…

• 2007 AAR League

Thank you captain obvious.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’m assuming, since you only have a few posts, that you normally play the game on a physical board using the rules from the box.  So yes, the normal invasion of Egypt is as was listed, which results in:

1 Bomber from Germany to Egypt
    1 Infantry, 1 Armor from Libya to Egypt
    1 Infantry, 1 Artillery or 1 Armor from S. Europe to Egypt
    1 Fighter from Balkans to Egypt
    1 Fighter from Ukraine or E. Europe (if Ukrainian fighter was destroyed by Russia) to SZ 15
    1 Transport, 1 Battleship from SZ 14 to SZ 15

Personally, i prefer the Inf/Art for Egypt because it leaves an armor for the Russian front and it adds as much punch as Inf/Arm. (Inf, Art = 4 (2 and 2), Inf, Arm = 4 (1 and 3).)  Meanwhile, you have some high punch units, Fighter, Bomber, Armor already invading, so the extra really are not that important.

If you expect to loose Egypt to England on Round 1, you might want to go with 2 infantry instead.  Although, I’ve never play tested that alternative.

PS: Move your infantry, Artillery from Algeria to Libya.  You cannot defend against 4 ground units and a battleship from England or 4 ground units from America anyway and you can use them to defend the fighter and bomber landing from Egypt battle.

• '19 Moderator

Captain Obvious, that’s awesome.  I think I’ll use that as a screen name in my next fps game.

• Be nice to the new guy.  :-)

We didn’t know all the ropes once either.  :wink:

I think EGY is one of the key early battles of the game. Jen pretty much covered everything except that by taking EGY you also close the Suez canal. That will keep the UK ships in the Indian Ocean for a little while.

When you get into games with a bid Germany often places the extra units from that into Libya to assist the attack.

Welcome to the forums.  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

@ezto:

Thank you captain obvious.

So kind you are to new guys, not.

• 2007 AAR League

that was good ezto.  i play by enhanced realism, so we do the africa clearing a little differently.  b/c you can double bridge on unmoved transports, and carry one inf on a battleship.

• '19 Moderator

Man that would be nice for the japs.

• what about 1inf 1arm, 2fig,1bmb Vs 1inf, 1arm 1fig?
    you mostly have to lose a fig but th euk is losing a fig too. that way you can send your fleet west.

• OK guys, cool it.

Not everything is obvious to everyone (as evidence by the disagreement of “facts” we have in the PD forums.

Some people see things differently, others have never been exposed to certain facets of the game at all.

So chill out, and remember not everyone is a grand master Axis and Allies player and knows everythign there is to know about the game (and I certainly don;t know all there is to know about it).

• 2007 AAR League

I think that WAW is the enhanced realism for this game.

• Assuming you came up with that Anglo-Egypt idea on your own, you have pretty good intuition.

That’s a pretty standard move for a lot of German players, as mentioned.  But that’s only because it’s a good move.

Sometimes, if you have an African bid, you can stop the UK from reclaiming Anglo-Egypt on UK1 (bomber, Indian fighter, and various infantry; the bomber and fighter land in Africa, forcing the Germans to risk their own air if they want to kill the UK air).  Or, if you have an African bid, you can forgo attacking Anglo-Egypt with your transport, and use that transport to take Gibraltar instead (while STILL taking Anglo-Egypt with the African bid units plus the Libyan units plus German air).

I very rarely pass by an opportunity to at least destroy the UK units in Anglo-Egypt (even if I don’t take the territory).

• 2007 AAR League

If you dont clear egypt on turn 1 you are in for it. at least on a KGF.

• @ezto:

If you dont clear egypt on turn 1 you are in for it. at least on a KGF.

Untrue.

You are PROBABLY in for it.  But this is by no means a certainty.

Don’t trap yourselves into ways of thinking!

Improvise!

Adapt!

Overcome!

• 2007 AAR League

In low luck it sure does. If you are playing someone who is at least okay.

• @newpaintbrush:

Don’t trap yourselves into ways of thinking!

Improvise!

Adapt!

Overcome!

Actually, that is the whole problem with LL.  It DOES trap you into certain things.  And it significantly reduces the chance to inprovise, adapt and overcome.

Let’s just look at Urkaine on R1, assume a bid of 1 INF to Ukraine.
    In ADS, you have an 87.4% chance to WIN that fight, and a 26.9% chance of FAILING TO TAKE Ukraine.
    One time in 4, Ukraine remains German, or Russia has to lose FIGs to take it with 1 ARM.

In LL, you have a 100% chance to win that fight, and only a 0.8% chance of needed to lose a FIG in order to occypy with 1 ARM.

Or another option… UK attacking FIC on UK1.
    In ADS, you have a 48.5% chance to win that fight, and a 28.8% chance to occupy FIC as UK.  And you have a 57% chance as UK to kill all Jap units there
    In the LL version of that battle…
    Your odds of a win increase slightly to 52.9%, only a 14% chance to occupy, but the odds of destroying all Jap forces increases to 71.2%
    Suddenly attacking FIC to kill the Japan FIG goes from “risky” to a pretty solid bet.

• 2007 AAR League

you just cant f’up in LL as much as you can in ADS. ADS is really unrealistic. When 2 inf can beat 3 arm, you know there is something wrong there.

• 2007 AAR League

But isn’t the luck of the dice supposed to be things like weather and other things that you can’t control?
    I would never play LL the dice is what make it a game.

• @ezto:

you just cant f’up in LL as much as you can in ADS. ADS is really unrealistic. When 2 inf can beat 3 arm, you know there is something wrong there.

Why couldn’t 2 INF beat 3 ARM? If we want to be realistic, pretty standard theories of war can be used. Pick terrain unfavorable to the tanks that redues the effect of their numbers. How about wait till half the column crosses a river? Blow the bridge behind them and chop 'em up. Maneuver your units behind the Tank columns and attack their support. Draw 'em into cities and towns where you can pick at 'em like gnats.

Units in A&A represent thousands of men and hundreds of tanks over vast stretches of city and countryside. The dice represent skillful commanders, unskillful commanders, uncommon valor and the will to win.

What happens at Gettysburg if Joshua Lawerence Chamberlain gets killed in the first volley? What happens to Easy Company if Captain Winters gets killed coming out of the aircraft?

If you don’t like dice play Chess or Go or something. Okay, that was uncalled for. Dice as distasteful as they can be are what make things fun/frustrating. If you like LL fine but it isn’t how you deal with the unexpected that counts most?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m