• When VC & IC ID (e.g., shore guns) are returning offshore bombardment do they hit normally or are they like Gibraltar.

1 hit = 1 kill (even BB’s)

they hit normally. The 1939 version allows fortresses so you may have to look up how they effect combat as well.

• great to hear your friends are enjoy AARHE, Bierwagen
    you would have done a great job presenting it

@Imperious:

IL: we need to add a line regarding oil rules…. in the 1939 game

as you know 1939 scenario (or 1942 Italy scenario) is low priority for me, hows your schedule now? can you maintain 1939?

@Imperious:

Also, the 1939 rules should be an appendix in the standard rulebook

I haven’t revisited this issue yet but my past view is that attaching scenarios may add confusion…its nice how we trimmed down to the um 30 pages mark

@Imperous:

IN the air rules… where does it specifically say what the defender can do?

that was under discussion…currently defending planes can defend against ALL combats against the territory (eg. normal combat + SBR)
    so it fights multiple times, but still only in one space

@Bierwagen:

• Might be a bit too powerful of a reinforcement move though - Japan and UK seem to be relying heavily on it.

at this stage I still think its too powerful, previously Japan can get cheap but delayed infantry from Japan home or more expensive troops closer to frontline

@Bierwagen:

tekkyy: the Xenopho rule’s wording do NOT stop you from attacking a non-Xeno territory together, territories included are listed in the rule wording.
    tekkyy: again Xenoph rule’s wording do not say that, I am thinking the Xeno-ness should be about Russia homeland and eastern europe, I mean historically they attacked Germany together and occupied their own areas

@Bierwagen:

Japan always seems to be the King Kong.

without knowing the storyline I am guessing the reinforcement rules did something

@Imperous:

Yes we need this checklist for EVERY concept and use plain language  ( no FTR…but fighter)

in terms of plain language it must not be so plain that it becomes inexact
    a certain level of A&A jargon would remain
    we got rid of unit abbreivations haven’t we? did I left some behind?

@Bierwagen:

(n.b., our rule lawyers originally contested that if there were no enemy DD/CA’s present then 1 SS technically exceeded it by 1 and was therefore deemed a Wolf Pack)

but it says you must exceed “by more than one” not “by 1”

@Bierwagen:

Must have minimum of 2 SS

this rings a bell
    the short answer I gave last time should be that it says you need to exceed by “more than one”
    maybe something is wrong with the rule’s sentence structure

@Imperious:

I kept harping on that rule with him for like a month

@Bierwagen:

Only Germany gets this benefit

it wasn’t the intention at the beginning to be a nation specific thing
    hence it wasn’t put into “National Advantage” but “Naval Combat”
    I am thinking US wolf pack isn’t so bad, a nature strategy if US historically decides to focus on Pacific and forgo Europe

but if its killing the game fine we’ll change it to Germany only
    now lets think of how to put it in nicely
    we could put it under Germany’s standard NA, since the NA is about mass produced submarines
    or we could just change the Wolf Pack woridng, but end up with a rule that is German-specific in the middle of “Naval Combat”

@Bierwagen:

Any chance I could convince you to number the paragraphs for ease of referencing?

we could consider it. like a (1) (2) (3) etc as the first word of the paragraph? any elegant way to do it?

@Bierwagen:

Since Cruisers (CA) take two hits are they considered Capital Ships when mobilizing (e.g., take 2 turns for the "Build Schedule)?

the rule specifies only battleship and airacraft carrier and is intentional for cruiser to be one turn only

@Bierwagen:

How in the world can you ever invade Japan?

as with any mountainous terrain, if you attack from the sea you need massive air support to have a chance to suceed

@Imperious:

But remember attacking Gibraltar or small islands can only be done with 2 land units, plus i presume 2 air units

yeah can only be attacked by 2 land units, no limit on air units though
    excess air units will fight at a low value of 1, as per normal land combat rules

@Imperious:

He can make Gibraltar impossible by leaving 2 artillery or 2 tanks with 2 fighters. You will have to invade Spain to do the job

actually currently small territories can only be occupied by 2 units

Small territories such as Gibraltar cannot be occupied by more than 2 units and cannot be attacked by more than 2 land units.

• Ok I have a couple questions…

What is the difference between Lite and Regular?  I guess Lite is just simpler?  Is it worth trying out the Lite version?  Does Lite use Italy?  Does Lite only start in 1942?  Thanks…  :-)

• Lite is for people who cant read more than 4 pages of stuff. Its still subject to playtesting quarks, while the other versions are well played.

three maps and tons of player aides are offered:

Normal with very minor changes, Italy added, and 1939 map which is the ultimate experience. After reading the full text of rules you will see many ideas were Anniversary got some of its mojo. The map too may even remind you of it.

Its really intuitive read and we provide a new file which is about 6 pages with a outline mode of how to play step by step.

• still waiting for response regarding Wolf Pack

@tekkyy:

@Imperious:

I kept harping on that rule with him for like a month

@Bierwagen:

Only Germany gets this benefit

it wasn’t the intention at the beginning to be a nation specific thing
    hence it wasn’t put into “National Advantage” but “Naval Combat”
    I am thinking US wolf pack isn’t so bad, a nature strategy if US historically decides to focus on Pacific and forgo Europe

but if its killing the game fine we’ll change it to Germany only
    now lets think of how to put it in nicely
    we could put it under Germany’s standard NA, since the NA is about mass produced submarines
    or we could just change the Wolf Pack wordng, but end up with a rule that is German-specific in the middle of “Naval Combat”

• still waiting for response regarding Wolf Pack

Please what was the issue on it?

also i made a list of remaining clarifications for the 4.0. ill repost them as well.

• like how the change is to be implemented
    I am more towards removing wolf pack from phase 4 conduct combat and putting it under national advantage Germany no.1

• ok fine. lets do it.

• Tekkyy:

when are you gonna post the grammar changes to the text for 4.0? I sent a list of what the others have found and we need to get this clear and finished up.

• IL:

Once the text changes are finished, I will complete the NA cards and NA outlines I began a few weeks ago.

I’ve also been following your forums and summaries and the AA50 rules and proposed house rules.  Are you looking to add any of these rules in AARHE?  Or were you taking the best of AARHE and improving AA50?

• ok I added the wolf pack change

sorry IL can you link the post of grammer changes
    (use quote but remove the contents to do a “link”)

• ok fine. i hope you fixed the other grammar issues.  remember the NA for japan or Italy 7 and 8 run together.

• oh I found it, its Italy

anything else?

• Question:  National Advantages

The first item is standard. Then at beginning of first 5 game rounds, each player randomly selects an item.
    The randomly selected items are secret to enemy team and come into effect immediately when the player
    reveals it any time in the game.

…huh?

• Yes you randomly pick the card and play it at any point of your turn, while some cards offer defensive bonus, which you reveal during combat to present the surprise factor as the defender. It works quite well.

• I don’t understand the “5 rounds” thing…?

Nor do I understand the whole “Technology transfer box” thing.  You can just give a free box of tech to an ally, while keeping your own?

If I’m not going to use all the optional units, should I just use none of them?  The only ones I wanted to use were the self propelled artillery and heavy tanks (i’d designate by putting a control marker under the tank/artillery) since those are related to technology.

• I don’t understand the “5 rounds” thing…?

you select one card at random for the next 5 turns. To have 5 cards to play at once is too overwhelming.

By turn 6 you have 5 randomly selected NA’s. You can play them right away, on the opponents turn, latter, or even never play them. Its your choice.

Nor do I understand the whole “Technology transfer box” thing.  You can just give a free box of tech to an ally, while keeping your own?

If you as the allies manage to develop one technology level or more, you can assign ONE level to another partner, except UK and USA don’t share with Russia and vice versa. Its extremely simple.

ON say turn 2 Germany develops 1 level heavy tanks, 1 level jets… they elect to transfer ONE Jet tech to Japan. They can transfer one level to one nation per side per round ( round = all your partner nations playing one turn)

If I’m not going to use all the optional units, should I just use none of them?  The only ones I wanted to use were the self propelled artillery and heavy tanks (i’d designate by putting a control marker under the tank/artillery) since those are related to technology.

If you use the ones you listed you should also play with fighter bombers, because they are integral to heavy tanks.

I would use mech infantry as well. To designate you use the Revised tanks for normal tanks and the AA bulge tanks for heavy.

SPA can be the old AA gun or the milton bradley tank which is different looking.

To PLay AARHE you probably need the Original AA from milton Bradley and the Revised set. thats about it.

MB bomber is the transport plane
    MB Battleship is the cruiser
    MB fighter is fighter bomber
    MB sub is super subs
    jet fighter is buy some 1/700 tumbling dice planes
    MB tank is mech infantry

etc…

• So, in the first round, you have the first NA, then up till round 5, you draw a random NA each time?  It says that the first one is standard I believe.

About historical history conditions…

Establish Lebenstraum ~ End the game in control of Western Europe, Germany, Southern Europe, Norway,
    Eastern Europe, Balkans, Switzerland (if not neutral) and Spain (if not neutral).

Isn’t that the first round?  Or is this saying, when the game is over, if you have control of those territories, you win?  What is the point of that, if the game is already over…?

• So, in the first round, you have the first NA, then up till round 5, you draw a random NA each time?  It says that the first one is standard I believe.

yea you got it. Its really easy and we dont load you up with too many cards because that would take too long to make decisions.

About historical history conditions…

Establish Lebenstraum ~ End the game in control of Western Europe, Germany, Southern Europe, Norway,
    Eastern Europe, Balkans, Switzerland (if not neutral) and Spain (if not neutral).

Isn’t that the first round?  Or is this saying, when the game is over, if you have control of those territories, you win?  What is the point of that, if the game is already over…?

LOL ….no that’s not it. You have to satisfy the ACTUAL war conditions as well PLUS these. I suppose it says this somewhere. The idea is to allow the possibility of say one axis player to win its own war, while its partner may actually lose the game, so basically you no longer win as a team and can win individually.

Historically the war was 4 sides: Germany ,Soviet Union, UK/ USA and Japan and the only thing in common was destroying the common enemy. each group had its own design in the post war. It was entirely possible for the axis to have Germany win its war with Russia and USA to wipe the floor with Japan. This rule allows 1st, 2nd , 3rd etc. place results.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m