• Any bid over 16 is an Allied loss.  3 TRN in the baltic allows Sea Lion to happen even without LRA with a 78% chance of a win.  Even an 8 bid is a bit risky… a 1 in 3 chance of a successful Sea Lion on G1… if Germany uses the bid for a TRN…

(though a TRN bid would amost certainly draw 1 or both Russian FIGs to London)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

Any bid over 16 is an Allied loss.  3 TRN in the baltic allows Sea Lion to happen even without LRA with a 78% chance of a win.  Even an 8 bid is a bit risky… a 1 in 3 chance of a successful Sea Lion on G1… if Germany uses the bid for a TRN…

(though a TRN bid would amost certainly draw 1 or both Russian FIGs to London)

Me thinks our good and faire moderator missed my point….who is gunna bid higher then 31!!!  Witha  31 IPC bid I am almost guarenteed of getting the allies, especially since I am reasonably sure no one is gunna bid higher then 10 IPC…

• Was not missing the point, just using it as an apportunity to illustrate :-)

@ncscswitch:

Was not missing the point, just using it as an apportunity to illustrate :-)

Okyday.  But still, imagine if someone else didn’t want to be axis and bid 32+!  Wow!  What a dynamic shift in game mechanics THAT would result in!

• I’d probably resign in that circumstance… but it would not happen.  I’d NEVER bif the Axis that high.

• @Jennifer:

@ncscswitch:

Was not missing the point, just using it as an apportunity to illustrate :-)

Okyday.  But still, imagine if someone else didn’t want to be axis and bid 32+!  Wow!  What a dynamic shift in game mechanics THAT would result in!

32 would be 3 trannies in baltic + 1inf 1 arm in libya

haha poor UK  :evil:

@ncscswitch:

I’d probably resign in that circumstance… but it would not happen.  I’d NEVER bif the Axis that high.

And that’s the point.  I know the bids comming in around the 7 to 9 IPC mark, but I’d be willing to settle for a 10, 11 IPC mark game too.

• I am sure you would… as the Axis :-P

Actually, even if you bid 10 as the Axis, I’d still kill ya.  We’re still talking about maybe 2 Infantry Libya, 1 Infantry Manchuria and 1 IPC to Japan.  Not a vast difference in game play.

• After combat, i always put both ussr fighters into India on go 1, then move any UK there that can reach as to secure India for the UK factory i put there at the end of G1.

• @Jennifer:

Actually, even if you bid 10 as the Axis, I’d still kill ya.  We’re still talking about maybe 2 Infantry Libya, 1 Infantry Manchuria and 1 IPC to Japan.  Not a vast difference in game play.

I think the point of an African bid is freeing the German Med fleet to move west while still allowing Germany to take Anglo-Egypt on with good chances.  The Med move preserves the Atlantic sub, threatens any Allied navy west of Algeria in conjunction with W. Eur. fighters, and threatens unification with the Baltic fleet on G2 unless the Allies do some expensive countering.  Rather a different game from the usual German btl/trns/fig vs UK destroyer.  If the Germans unify by G2, the Allies can only stop them by paying through the nose; otherwise, the Allies have an easy time of cutting the German fleets in half.

“After combat, i always put both ussr fighters into India on go 1, then move any UK there that can reach as to secure India for the UK factory i put there at the end of G1.”

“UK1”, not “G1”, of course.  I personally don’t like that move, because it really messes with USSR’s ability to trade territory with Germany for those first couple of turns, but that’s purely personal preference.  I thought about doing that in a KJF combined with either a unified UK Indian fleet, or with a UK fighter joining 6 USSR infantry in Burytia, and I think 1-2 Russian fighters to India could be a sound KJF or 8 VC game strat.  If you’re reading this, Shadowhawk, I’m probably going to try some variation of that as the Allies, if I end up playing with them in our 8 VC game.

I agree.  If I plan to hide like a school girl cowering from an overly menacing mcdonald’s double cheeseburger with my fleet, I’ll put my bid into Ukraine to cost the Russian’s a lot if they go for my fighter.  If I plan to unify my fleets I’ll put my bid into Libya so I can still close off Egypt, and I’ll by pass the British Destroyer in SZ 15 so I have more punch against Englands Atlantic Fleet. (By more I mean the sub goes after the Tran in SZ1 instead of the BB in SZ 13.)

• @Jennifer:

I agree.  If I plan to hide like a school girl cowering from an overly menacing mcdonald’s double cheeseburger with my fleet . . .

Traumatic personal experience?

Oh well, if you ended up looking like that in a bikini, I’m not complainin.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m