• If Japan goes all in China and dont DOW on US/UK/AZ J1, how do you think UK/AZ should divide the money islands in the best way?

• '15

If Japan waits until turn 3 to declare I usually go this route with India and Anzac:

R1 India takes Sumatra, Anzac takes Java

R2 Anzac takes Celebes (I like to hang onto that India transport when I can)

• @Nippon-koku:

If Japan waits until turn 3 to declare I usually go this route with India and Anzac:

R1 India takes Sumatra, Anzac takes Java

R2 Anzac takes Celebes (I like to hang onto that India transport when I can)

Yay, someone does what I do!

• '15

It works well!

I like to buy fighters with Anzac.  With this method Anzac can have nine of them on the board by the end of its 4th turn.

• @Nippon-koku:

It works well!

I like to buy fighters with Anzac.  With this method Anzac can have nine of them on the board by the end of its 4th turn.

I only buy enough to replace the ones being sent to india.  Having 3 scrambles where ever the US goes is neat.

• I like buying some fighters with the Anzac too, but if all you’re buying is fighters then how do you contest the islands? India rarely has any surviving transports, and the USA is too easily ship blocked. What do you actually do with all those fighters?

• @ChocolatePancake:

I like buying some fighters with the Anzac too, but if all you’re buying is fighters then how do you contest the islands? India rarely has any surviving transports, and the USA is too easily ship blocked. What do you actually do with all those fighters?

Most of my anzac buys consist of some combination of transports, subs, and destroyers.

• I like an Anzac bomber to prevent easy JP shippings if US cant handle it!

Do you usually build up a small force and then take it to action or advance all units every turn as u build them?

• '15

@ChocolatePancake:

I like buying some fighters with the Anzac too, but if all you’re buying is fighters then how do you contest the islands? India rarely has any surviving transports, and the USA is too easily ship blocked. What do you actually do with all those fighters?

I’ll still throw a transport and a unit or two in there.  In games where Japan doesnt attack R3 Anzac usually makes 14 turn 2 and 24 or 27 turn 3.

But that being said I find the fighters to be more effective.  Rather than try to pick off an island that Japan will likely just take back I use the fighters for any of 3 purposes:

1. Attack any mini fleet Japan may have left out of position

2. Jump on American carriers

3. Defend land somewhere (Sydney, India, Russia) or, a personal favorite, let America take Java then drop 7 planes in it.  Now Java can be used as a great staging point for taking back the other islands.

• I like giving Celebes to ANZAC in a late DoW because if Japan knows what they’re doing, India won’t be able to move outside Calcutta anyway, so I find that ANZAC can use the money to actually pester Japan. Plus, it saves the British transport to go help pick up the Persians and do other stuff in the Med. I like the 3 ANZAC scrambles to defend the Carolines if the opportunity is useful, but since Japan usually has most of its airforce able to hit that SZ, I also like putting 2 ANZAC figs on an US carrier for extra range threat when the USN moves up. If the USN can survive in the SZ of Dutch New Guinea, those figs can support landings on Java, Celebes, and the Philippines, as well as unprotected newly built ships in SZ 20, 36, & 37.

• As far as actually dividing up the southern Pacific Islands between ANZAC and the UK goes, I tend just to try and take them all with ANZAC; Take Java turn 1, then Dutch New Guinea on round 2 (I usually consider a DOW against Japan with ANZAC in round 2 a very good idea financially, since, assuming Malaya hasn’t fallen, it gets you an extra 5 IPCs during you collect income phase that you wouldn’t otherwise have if you let Japan declare war on you in round 3 (which they’ll do anyway), and if New Britain, the Solomon Islands, and New Guinea are still under Allied control (which is probably likely, seeing as Japan has to go real far out of its way to take any of them), that makes Dutch New Guinea worth, in essence, 5 IPCs, as opposed to the 4 IPCs you get from Sumatra), and Sumatra on round 3.

If you play this right, ANZAC should (typically) have collected 14 + 24 + 28 = 66 IPCs by the end of round, which gives you a total of 76 IPCs available to spend by the Purchase Units Phase of round 4, which can get Anzac 1 fighter, 2 aircraft carriers, a Battleship, and a destroyer (Navy consists of 1 cruiser, 2 destroyer, 1 battleship, 2 aircraft carriers, and 4 fighters). That’s a pretty strong fleet for such a small power, and if Japan doesn’t turn its attention toward Sydney immediately, you can take the 30 IPCs you’ve got in round 5 and make that 1 crusier, 2 destroyers, 2 battleships, 2 aircraft carriers, 4 fighters, and a submarine.

I guess the Pacific UK could take them, but honestly, here’s how I see it: UK is supposed to take Japan on land, and ANZAC is supposed to back the US up in the sea. The problem with the UK taking all the money, is that unless the UK player is fighting on land and in the sea simultaneously (which, in essence, wastes ANZAC’s entire income for the Allies, since you’re basically exhausting another power’s income to fill a spot ANZAC was practically made for), if the UK takes the southern Pacific isles, Japan will just turn around and take them all back; at least with ANZAC, if you play your cards right, you’ll have an impressive navy to use as a deterrent by the time Japan shows up.

That, and I also just really, really like ANZAC, haha - it’s probably my favorite power in the game, so I usually do my best to make sure it turns into a powerhouse anyway (which, as you can see, does have its strategic advantages).

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Sniper:

If you play this right, ANZAC should (typically) have collected 14 + 24 + 28 = 66 IPCs by the end of round, which gives you a total of 76 IPCs available to spend by the Purchase Units Phase of round 4, which can get Anzac 1 fighter, 2 aircraft carriers, a Battleship, and a destroyer (Navy consists of 1 cruiser, 2 destroyer, 1 battleship, 2 aircraft carriers, and 4 fighters). That’s a pretty strong fleet for such a small power, and if Japan doesn’t turn its attention toward Sydney immediately, you can take the 30 IPCs you’ve got in round 5 and make that 1 crusier, 2 destroyers, 2 battleships, 2 aircraft carriers, 4 fighters, and a submarine.

ANZAC has only a minor industrial complex (unless a second one is built) and can only build three units per turn. I did not see any allowance in your note for a second minor industrial complex being built.

What am I missing?

Now, these builds could be spread over two rounds with one minor industrial complex. Unless Japan was in position to attack the weaker fleet immediately, it would be safe until the second round of builds had happened.

Marsh

• '15

I’m curious about the ship builds with a minor in Sydney as well…

That being said I think you’re overestimating the money Anzac will have Sniper.  When I do a JDOW3 they are set up to take over all the money islands and sometimes Malaya as well.  If Anzac has Java, Sumatra and Celebes by turn 3 I assure you Japan is taking them back and killing whatever ships you have on the board in that area.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m