AARHE: Unit Purchase and Mobilization (Phase 1)

• OK, we are going to attack this “historical purchasing” problem for a completely different angle.

What should each nation purchase in a certain turn to to give the feel of a historical purchase, forgetting about their starting IPC value just for the moment?

I’ll start things off with an example for Russia:

Russia:
    5 inf for Russia *2 each = 10 ipcs
    ~2 inf for outside Russia *3 each = 6
    2 arm for Russia = 8 (T34 NA)
    1 fighter = 8 (10 - 2 free)
    1 rtl = 3 (4 - 1 free)
    = 35, which is 11 too high, even with all the free ipcs. The problem is that fighters aren’t cheap enough for Russia to buy them yet. I think we might need to make the incentive for 1 air unit per turn even better.

• @theduke:

This ‘15 - 3IPC - 2VCP’ was never the cost of an IC that I remember. Where’d you get this?

Oh that was in the thread “review of first draft”…
    @Imperious:

The cost of purchasing new ICs now depends on the territory in which the IC will be placed….For example, an IC in India, FIC or Kwangtung now costs 15 - (3 IPCs)*(2 VCPs) = 9 IPCs.

He didn’t post it in the other phase 1 main thread though.

• Those are 2 different equations. I think I know where you got confused.

costs 15 - (3 IPCs)*(2 VCPs) = 9 IPCs. (The * symbol means multiplication)

This is an example for the correct equation 15 - (IPC value) * (VCP value) = (Cost of IC) applied to India.

India is worth 3 IPCs and 2 VCPs so if you plug it into the equation you get:

15 - (3 IPCs) * (2 VCPs) = 15 - 3*2 = 15 - 6 = 9

The “3 IPCs” doesn’t mean “3 * IPCs” it means that what there are 3 of are IPCs. (like saying I have 3 apples doesn’t mean I have 3 * apples).

Does this make sense?

• The equation regarding the max. amount of damage a IC can sustain as i understand it is :

Take territory value multiply by 3 and subtract all connected territories. The maximum damage in any case is limited to 30.

The equation regarding the cost of IC is as duke explains in his post.

• Oh I see.
    So what do you think of my arguments about VCP vs IC cost? and IPC vs. IC cost?

@Imperious:

The equation regarding the max. amount of damage a IC can sustain as i understand it is :
    Take territory value multiply by 3 and subtract all connected territories. The maximum damage in any case is limited to 30.

Why mutliply by 3? In the case of many ICs we could get negative income?
    What do you think of my argument against “connected IPC’s”?

• Geez tekkyy, you are really all about being technical with these equations!

3*(IPC value) - (connect territories) = max number of IPCs able to be commerce raided

Obviously, having a negative possible number of IPCs able to be raided is nonsensical. Once you get as low as 0 IPCs able to be raided you stop subtracting.

The 3 factor is simply because that is the number that gives the best play balance. Using the factor 3 is just a consequence of how the game is laid out. If we assigned different IPC value distributions to all the territories we’d probably have to use a different number than 3.

• No we won’t force them to negative income hehe.
    Just strange situations with this model.
    We should be discussing Commerce raid in the Income thread of course.
    My arguments are already posted over there.

• @Imperious:

The equation regarding the cost of IC is as duke explains in his post.

So do you think its fine as it is?

I think ICs on higher income territories represent “bigger” ICs and should cost MORE not less.

• So do you want to ignore the greater amount of manpower that goes into building an IC at a heavily populated area vs. in a rural part of the world?

• Then shouldn’t somehwat offset each other?
    Building a small amount of factories in a rural area vs. building a large amount of factories in populated area?

And I think we should separate material resource and labour resource. IPC as material, VCP as population.
    Though VCP is not exactly population.

• I think you’re overly simplifying the issue of cost while over complicating the issue of resources.

If you found any info on IC costs could you post it? I’d be more than happy to look it over.

• I don’t actually have any historic info on IC.
    But I haven’t seen any background info supporting IPC income reducing cost of IC neither :-P
    Like whether building 30 factories in India is in fact costly compared to building 100 factories in Germany.

I think its proportional. 30 factories to India is just as much as 100 factories to Germany.

I am not trying to overly simplify the issues of costs. I accept factors of population so I don’t mind VCP reducing the cost of an IC.

• Realistically, no new ICs were built… at least not on the scale as represented by what can be done by an IC unit vs. no IC unit. So, I guess we’re not going to have any new ICs at all.

• but if we can’t build ICs its like gameover when you lose your IC?

how about we make ICs takes 2 turns to build?
    how about we can only build ICs on territories with an income of 3 or more?
    would that be more realistic?

• how about we can only build ICs on territories with an income of 3 or more?
    would that be more realistic?

how about if ICs cost more to build in territories with fewer IPCs and/or VCPs?

• The current system for assigning the values ( costs)  of IC should stand. Making specific units and installing a “construction schedule” is something i employ in my games. This is definately phase three stuff however. I would keep is simple… Carriers and Battleships take 3 turns to build, all planes and other ships and all armor takes 2 turns, while infantry takes one turn. You pay 1/2 of the costs up front and if you need to cancell your order… you “sell” it back at half cost ( ala monopoly)

example:  You buy a battleship paying 10 IP on turn two your about to get invaded so you need more infantry and you sell that 10 ipc investment on the following turn for 5 bucks back. this represents a simple conversion factor of material.

• @Imperious:

The current system for assigning the values ( costs) of IC should stand.

The question is why. I understand how VCP (population) reduces cost of IC but I don’t see why IPC income should.
    The “the effort for 30 factories to a 3 IPC territory is the same as 100 factories to a 10 IPC territory” argument.

I can understand the current equation IF all ICs are the same size though.

We’ve introduced IC “size” (IPC output limit) but we haven’t factored it into the IC cost equation.

construction schedule

Thats quite advanced and major.
    How long does a turn represent? How long does a round represent?

• Thats quite advanced and major.
    How long does a turn represent? How long does a round represent?

turn is 6 months max… If the build sequence takes too long it will detract from playability 3 turns should be the max ( 2 might be better)

OK the IC model… only one factory per territory and a limit of factories should be installed for those (real cheap places you mentioned).

• @Imperious:

OK the IC model… only one factory per territory and a limit of factories should be installed for those (real cheap places you mentioned).

Yeah probably no factories for territories with IPC below 3.
    Is “one factory per territory” supposed to answer my curiosity?

• I think any territory with 0,1,2 values should not be able to have a IC… 3 and higher would seem correct… so no fac in egypt or s africa. india and austrailia are ok however.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m