• I’ve played global for the first time last week and we enjoyed it so much that we will play it again next week. But all of us are new to A&A (played just a couple of 1942 games before) and we are thinking about some general strategys/tactical moves. I would like to hear some opinions about them.

Germany:

• I guess normal G1 moves are attacking France, Normandy and Yugoslavia and activating Romania and Finland. Would it be a good idea to attack the Royal Navy aswell?
    • Should Germany aim to take Southern France too? It can be used to assist the Italians with the conquest of Egypt, Gibraltar and an attack on the Middle east (and further)
    • Sealion, Moscow or combine both? If attacking Moscow, when should Germany declare war? As soon as possible or at round 4?
    • When attacking Russia: race to Moscow or taking National Objectives during the assault?
    • Build up a (small) fleet to annoy the allies and make them build more ships?

Italy:

• Let Germany take out Greece and Southern France so all units can be focussed on Egypt (since the national objectives mention Axis control and not Italian control)
    • Take Malta or ignore it

Japan:

• Should Japan support Germany with the attack on Russia or focus on their own objectives/victory city’s?
    • When should Japan attack the rest of the allies since this will bring the USA in the game?
    • Ignore China or conquer it?
    • Build a factory on the continent?

UK:

• Is their primary objective hold Egypt or put pressure on the German Atlantic defence?
    • Should a factory be build in Egypt?
    • In the Pacific: build a navy or try to defend India with all your IC untill you can go on the offensive?
    • Declare war on Japan asap or wait till the USA can join or Japan attacks you?

America, Anzac, China and France are pretty straight forward I guess

• Sponsor

@Curly:

I’ve played global for the first time last week and we enjoyed it so much that we will play it again next week. But all of us are new to A&A (played just a couple of 1942 games before) and we are thinking about some general strategys/tactical moves. I would like to hear some opinions about them.

Germany:

• I guess normal G1 moves are attacking France, Normandy and Yugoslavia and activating Romania and Finland. Would it be a good idea to attack the Royal Navy aswell? Yes! Sea zones 110, 111, & 106 with all subs and planes that can reach.
    • Should Germany aim to take Southern France too? It can be used to assist the Italians with the conquest of Egypt, Gibraltar and an attack on the Middle east (and further) Yes, during G2
    • Sealion, Moscow or combine both? If attacking Moscow, when should Germany declare war? As soon as possible or at round 4? Fake sealion but go for Russia forcing UK to defend London, if they don’t defend London… go for Sealion.
    • When attacking Russia: race to Moscow or taking National Objectives during the assault? Take both Russian ICs first and than re-evaluate
    • Build up a (small) fleet to annoy the allies and make them build more ships? Buy 1 aircraft carrier, 2 transports first round, but air and land every round afterwards.

Italy:

• Let Germany take out Greece and Southern France so all units can be focussed on Egypt (since the national objectives mention Axis control and not Italian control) Germany takes Gibraltar, Southern France, and Greece, Italy builds sea units to take middle east for more NOs.
    • Take Malta or ignore it Ignore it

Japan:

• Should Japan support Germany with the attack on Russia or focus on their own objectives/victory city’s? Their own No’s, take the islands for $5 NO as soon as you can, keep them as long as you can without destroying your fleet, bomb & convoy India.
    • When should Japan attack the rest of the allies since this will bring the USA in the game? R1 or R2, R3 is to late
    • Ignore China or conquer it? Leave them with 3 territories, defend the rest
    • Build a factory on the continent? Yes… Build 1 IC every round and fill them with Mech infantry every round.

UK:

• Is their primary objective hold Egypt or put pressure on the German Atlantic defence? Cripple Italian fleet, defend London.
    • Should a factory be build in Egypt? Yes…Either Egypt of Persia, but not until it’s safe to do so.
    • In the Pacific: build a navy or try to defend India with all your IC untill you can go on the offensive? Defend Calcutta, help China hold the road if possible.
    • Declare war on Japan asap or wait till the USA can join or Japan attacks you? Wait until Japan attacks

America, Anzac, China and France are pretty straight forward I guess

America must support ANZAC and take the $5 Island NO away from Japan, and should establish a beachhead in Spain, feed it 10 Infantry and 10 artillery using 10 transports every other round, be sure UK is in a position to challenge Turkey and your transports are protected from German air units.

China, take what Japan gives you, be aggressive when possible, but be defensive mostly. ask Russia to send China their AA guns.

ANZAC should build infantry, artillery and transports, take the islands even if your transports face certain death, Japan will be frustrated.

• Hi Curly,

Germany:
    -I usually don’t take Southern France with Germany
    , but let Italy have it instead. Italy has not many other options for expansion but Germany has.
    -Never both Sea Lion & Moscow at the same time. What I consider the best German chance to win, is going for Moscow to the fullest extend but keeping an eye out for London. Does the UK over-extend, surprise attack it instead. As long as you are still learning the game however, I would recommend going full into Moscow. After you’ve done that a couple of games, try a few Sea Lions just to get an idea of what is needed and what the effects are.
    Attacking Russia can best be done round2 or round3. Round3 is the more natural way of things IMHO, as you have a lot more land units to attack with (both returned from the attack on Paris and produced) while Russia basically deals with the same amount (their reinforcements mostly have to come from Moscow which is further away from the front).
    -I’d race towards Moscow. This should get you the 2NO’s anyway because if Russia tries to defend either one of those, Moscow itself is left with too few defenders and will fall. Attack Leningrad and Ukraine if you can with your aircraft, fast units and/or the Finns but do it the turn when your slow INF and ART could have done it instead. However, the INF and ART should be marched 1 step closer to Moscow each and every turn so using them to attack either IC is a delay that the Axis usually cannot afford.
    -My rule of thumb: more German ships means less teeth against Russia. In my experience, Germany needs ALL their IPCs to buy land units first 3 rounds to have a chance to take Moscow. Buying ships will not make Germany powerless against Russia, but taking Moscow will get further away with each and every ship bought. If Germany removes 165IPCs worth of units from European territories (by buying ships and/or transporting land units elsewhere), Russia will be able to start contesting Eastern Europe with Germany so I consider that a breakpoint.

Italy:
    -I usually take SF and Greece with Italy
    , as her chances are most likely doomed in Africa/ME anyway. As soon as the USA arrives in Gibraltar (depends on when Japan attacks), all that is left for Italy is turtle in its boot. Against decent UK play, Italy cannot win. With German help it is possible but this severely hurts the German chance to win in Russia, so this is a major strategic decision to make for the Axis: (try to) take Africa OR Moscow.

Japan:
    -Japan can do both.
    First priority is to assemble a force that takes all of the DEI and Philippines, etc. without loosing your ships in the process. This should leave you with enough forces to attack China&India second priority. Only if Germany goes full-bore into Russia: if Russia wants to hold Moscow, its siberian hunters should be retreated into Europe and Japan can nibble away Russian territories. In any other case (i.e. the Siberians stay): just destroy them when they over-extend by moving into Manchuria or Korea.
    -Japan can attack when it wants. I consider J1 too soon, too risky (positioning is not good enough PLUS the US enters the European war too soon). J2 is the optimum for Japanese purposes, but still severely hampers Germany and Italy (early US entry). This is often overlooked by Japan. J4 is best for the European axis but I only recommend this if you have lots of experience playing Japan as this makes it very hard (but not impossible) for Japan to develop a superior position. This leaves J3. I consider this turn as the optimum balance between what is best for Japan itself and what is best for the European Axis. As J3 is not optimal for Japan, it is by no means too late for it to create a superior position in the Pacific and it helps the Euro-axis tremendously. Just remember you can still attack Russia and China without any penalty!
    -Build no more IC’s than can be supported by your income. For example, if you build 5 IC’s, you can place 15 MECH per turn (INF/ART are too slow) in Asia. This will cost you 60IPC’s per turn. If you also need to buy enough ships to defend against the USA this can easily be too much but if the USA is nowhere to be seen… Go ahead, you might even be able to support 6 IC’s ;-). Don’t forget though, you will conquer Calcutta and should also place IC’s in the middle east for forward production if you get this far. I think building 4IC’s a good start and evaluate the need for more from that point on. Alternatively, you can build none and rely solely on TRS to ferry troops around.

The USA can do what YG suggested but if Japan is threatening to take its 6th VC in the pacific this may be a bridge too far for the allies. Too often I’ve see Japan forcing the USA to spend 100% of its income in the pacific from turn 7 because otherwise Japan will just take Hawai or Sydney and win the game for the Axis. A lot of people hate this (how can the axis win by taking Hawai, of all places), but I consider it necessary in this game otherwise the USA will just always overrun Europe and the Axis can never win.
    Therefore, if your Japanese player can seriuously threaten to win the game in the Pacific,
    the USA might expect to get into Europe (roughly, but not much more):
    -A decent fleet protection (mainly carriers + aircraft on it + the odd destroyers);
    -10 TRS [10INF+4MECH+1ARM+5ART];
    -6 STRategic bombers;
    -4 more other aircraft;
    If this is the case, you better base your forces at Gibraltar or London and with it, threaten to invade as much areas as possible.
    First and foremost priority for the USA is to prevent Japan permanently taking its 6th VC in the Pacific (usually Hawai and/or Sydney). This may require forging some plans, thinking and rethinking of strategies (over the course of several ‘learning games’) and most importantly: timing!
    This is an absolute must and still I see a number of USA players pay Japan too little attention untill it is too late. For a lot of players (that I know of), balancing the spending of the USA between Europe and the Pacific is hard in one way or the other…

Good luck and have fun!

• '14 Customizer

I agree with about everything except Italy.  I like to take Southern France and Normandy with Italy because it’s easier for them to take those territories than it is for them to take Yugo and Greece. 
    Round 1
    • Take the remainder of your Navy from Italy and destroy the French fleet with Bomber and fighters.
    • Take Southern France with 2 inf/2art and 2 inf on transport (send the tank to east front with the other tank)
    • Take Tunisia with 2inf, 1 mech and 1 tank
    • The tank and inf in Albania needs to go to the east front. Theses tanks and inf are very important IMO.  It allows you to can-open Russia but taking a territory in front of the German stack allowing Germany to then land planes with their stack.  Also which is very important is to try to take Ukraine with Italy when possible. This allows you to build more can-openers on the front.  If you’re playing an experienced player that may be a problem because they will do whatever they can to prevent Italy from producing on the front.  Taking Ukraine with Italy still gives Germany the National Objective too.
    • The units in Ethiopia and Somalia should try to hold out in Ethiopia.  GB will not attack them because they are saving it for Russia.
    Round 2
    • If Germany took Gib then Attack and Morocco with transports and Algeria with land units from Tunisia.  This will insure that no planes will can attack your navy from London except the bomber which is usually dead by now.
    • Take Normandy with planes and units left over in Southern France

• '17 '16

You should edit and renamed your opening post like: “Opinion on Axis first moves” or something like that.
    It will better describe this thread and provide an easier quick too see help for new player at Global.

You asked a good question and which brought really interesting and simple hints from all contributors.
    Nice works people! :wink:

• @Baron:

You should edit and renamed your opening post like: “Opinion on Axis first moves” or something like that.
    It will better describe this thread and provide an easier quick too see help for new player at Global.

You asked a good question and which brought really interesting and simple hints from all contributors.
    Nice works people! :wink:

No it’s not meant to be an Axis only tread for me. That’s why I asked for UK aswel. But as far as I can judge the options for Anzac/France/China are limited and USA mostly reacts based on what happens on eighter front. But tips for these countries are welcome too :) Keep it up guys, your input is really what I hoped it would be :)

• @Young:

America must support ANZAC and take the $5 Island NO away from Japan, and should establish a beachhead in Spain, feed it 10 Infantry and 10 artillery using 10 transports every other round, be sure UK is in a position to challenge Turkey and your transports are protected from German air units.

Are you suggesting to break neutrality with the Allies?

• Sponsor

Yes, Over the past 4 years that our group has been playing 1940 Global, we have identified what we believe to be the best case strategies for all nations. From our game experience where lessons were learned, and from forum discussions where brains were picked, we are currently of the opinion that American must attack and supply a beachhead in Spain. If we consider the damage the Axis can cause the Allies using their own best case strategies for success, the best way to involve the US and get their money where it can be useful is with pressure on France. Logistically for America, the best way to put, and keep pressure on France is to consistently drop 20 land units in Spain every other turn. This strategy will also allow the US to build a minor IC and Airbase on a strategically positioned territory with sea zones that already benefit from an Allied Naval Base. Over time, the US can force a war of Attrition with Italy and Germany over Normandy and Southern France, all resulting in the relief of pressure off Moscow. Being positioned there with strength, Rome has no choice but to give up any plans of expansion in Africa or the middle east, due to the overwhelming forces that are just 1 landing away from Italy losing their income. The UK can eventually offer secondary landings in Normandy from #109, or combine forces with the US off Gibraltar piling on the multi national threat. The key to all of this is that the Brits must be strong in the middle east in order to confront Turkey wether they are a neutral standing army that has become pro Axis, or if they turn Italian with one landing. The UK must be able to challenge and/or secure Turkey when the Americans land in Spain. After that, the Axis will grab Sweden and Switzerland which they can have. This strategy puts the USA in a position to participate in the war more than I have ever seen before, it’s not just fleet build up for them anymore, they’re hitting the beach early and often throwing huge monkey wrenches. Of course as always… counter strategies always make us eat our words eventually, but for now… we run with the bulls. However, the evolution of some players and games may not yet be at this stage… If Japan is consistently leaving the Pacific allies out of the war until J3 or later, than the Spain landing may not be necessary, If Germany always goes balls to the wall sealion, than the Spain landing may not be necessary, and if Germany refuses to take out all Allied units available to them in the first 2 rounds, than the Spain landing may not be necessary.

• Very interesting, thanks YG.  I was just about to post a new thread asking if anyone has attacked neutrals with Allies or seen others do it.  I was considering it in my next game.

What turn does USA typically land in Spain?

Similarly, what do you think are the best case strategies for Axis?

• Sponsor

@IKE:

Very interesting, thanks YG.  I was just about to post a new thread asking if anyone has attacked neutrals with Allies or seen others do it.  I was considering it in my next game.

What turn does USA typically land in Spain?

Similarly, what do you think are the best case strategies for Axis?

That’s a whole new thread altogether, I’ll start one after the weekend… Ideally it depends on when Japan brings them into the war, but it’s never to early to begin the build up for it. The short answer is early and often if the Brits can surround Turkey.

• '14 Customizer

Here is a pic of our last game where I took Spain and Sweden with Germany on Turn2 last weekend. I know its the opposite of what your saying but it can help the axis if done early. Besides anything is possible with dice, lol.  Italy took out Turkey and Germany took Caucasus on G3. Also got Jet power and built and AB in Spain.  I switched all of my fighters to 262’s. Wish I had a pic of that but my opponent quit before I had a chance to get a one. Â

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m