1 SS from SZ103

Is 2 subs enough?

SZ109

1 SS from SZ108
    1 SS from SZ118
    1 SS from SZ124
    1 FTR from Holland
    1 S. Bmbr from Germany

I know 3 FTR’s from Eng can scramble but this should be enough to kill the fleet in SZ109 even if the FTR’s scramble. If they don’t even better. And I realize that the FTR & S. Bmbr can’t retreat but it should kill the Trans & DD and at least a FTR or two from Eng. Too risky? Is that risking too many planes from Germany? And once the DD dies, then the subs should be safe from further destruction. Or, you can absorb the first round FTR hits on your SS’s since there is a DD present.

SZ112

1 CC, 1BB from SZ113 to SZ112
    1 FTR from Norway
    1 T. Bmbr from Germany

SZ111

2 FTR’s from W. Germany
    2 T. Bmbrs from W. Germany

Close battle as the FTR from Scotland can scramble but I think a necessary one.

Normandy

1 Mech Inf from W. Germany
    3 Inf from Holland
    2 Art from Holland
    1 Tank from Holland

Close battle but I believe you win most of the time.

France

1 Inf from Holland
    2 Tanks from Holland
    3 Inf from W. Germany
    1 Art from W. Germany
    3 Mech Inf from W. Germany
    1 T. Bmbr from W. Germany
    2 Tanks from S. Germany
    1 FTR from Hungary
    1 T. Bmbr from Poland

Another close, risky battle but I believe you win w/at least one tank most of the time.

All in all a lot of risky close battles but I think all are wins most of the time. Thoughts? Too risky?

Maybe not attack SZ111 and commit those FTR’s & T. Bmbr’s to Normandy & France?

What about just attacking SZ109 w/subs. I thought about this but then you better hit on Turn 1 b/cuz if UK scrambles the FTR’s will kill your sub fleet.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s POSITIVE input!  :-D

• @Commando:

SZ109

1 SS from SZ108
    1 SS from SZ118
    1 SS from SZ124
    1 FTR from Holland
    1 S. Bmbr from Germany

I know 3 FTR’s from Eng can scramble but this should be enough to kill the fleet in SZ109 even if the FTR’s scramble. If they don’t even better. And I realize that the FTR & S. Bmbr can’t retreat but it should kill the Trans & DD and at least a FTR or two from Eng. Too risky? Is that risking too many planes from Germany? And once the DD dies, then the subs should be safe from further destruction. Or, you can absorb the first round FTR hits on your SS’s since there is a DD present.

Just send the subs, the Ftr and Bomber can better be used elswhere, if you get 1 hit you kill the DD and the planes cant hit you, and so the Transport dies unless the british get 3 hits.

Send the Ftr to normandy and the Bomber to Paris. or maybe send the Ftr to Paris and the Bomber to 111
    Also you could send 1 sub to 111 to absorb a hit and the 104 and 108 subs to attack the cruiser in 91

• Thanks for the feedback EdFactor! I don’t like attacking the CC in SZ91, as it seems suicide to me to attack at a 2, when the CC defends at a 3. I’d rather use 3 subs in the SZ109 attack to ensure the Trans death.

• But I do like the thought of using the FTR & S. Bmbr from SZ109 elsewhere.

• well, 2 subs vs a CA means you should get a hit on average by the second round of combat.  If the German subs hit, then the CA dies and doesn’t fire back, so Germany has a pretty decent chance of clearing the sz with a sub remaining.

I personally don’t like how you’ve positioned your airforce.  I agree that a sub should be sent to sz 111 to be taken as a casualty, and also that you are sending perhaps 1 too many aircraft to the battle in the denmark straits.  The main issue I see with your aircraft is you are not dedicating enough to head south and defend Italy from the British.  1 ftr 1 tac in SItaly to defend the fleet and preferably at least 2 ftrs if not 2 ftrs 1 tac in Tobruk to save that army.  But this is more of personal preference of mine.

• Interesting JimmyHat. Is the sending aircraft to Italy to save the Italian flee a typical Axis move? I agree w/the Denmark straits. But think 3 subs in SZ109 is necessary.

• well i don’t know about torbruk, but 2 german fighters in Sita would make Uk think twice before going after the italian Navy.  The thing is, if he does, it makes UK alot more vulnerable to sealion.

• @JimmyHat:

well, 2 subs vs a CA means you should get a hit on average by the second round of combat.  If the German subs hit, then the CA dies and doesn’t fire back, so Germany has a pretty decent chance of clearing the sz with a sub remaining.

I personally don’t like how you’ve positioned your airforce.  I agree that a sub should be sent to sz 111 to be taken as a casualty, and also that you are sending perhaps 1 too many aircraft to the battle in the denmark straits.  The main issue I see with your aircraft is you are not dedicating enough to head south and defend Italy from the British.  1 ftr 1 tac in SItaly to defend the fleet and preferably at least 2 ftrs if not 2 ftrs 1 tac in Tobruk to save that army.  But this is more of personal preference of mine.

The thing is, you should think to yourself: “is extra protection for italy worth less firepower in fra/norm and against the royal navy?”

• right, if things went bad in the north sea you could be down plenty of planes and even most of your subs.  This is why my G1 purchase is 1 cv 1 dd 1 sub.  That way I have the fleet protection and the skirmish units for my G2 10 trn build.  Uk can decide to forgo a Mediterranean battle and mass their fleet in a position to join new production and possibly threaten your German fleet.  If this happens though, Germany should probably go with an airforce build G2 and sack the UK fleet.

Again, its a personal preference, I believe Germany can still get maximum pressure on UK G3 even by landing a large part of the airforce in Africa G1.

• I don’t generally attack sz109 it requires too many resources IMHO.  They can scramble upto 4 fighters.  And the amount you have to take (or risk loosing) just to kill a DD and TT isn’t worth it.  I take on the cruiser in 91 instead and take a sub into 111 for hits to save aircraft.

• Generally I send 2 ss to SZ 111, 2 to SZ 106, and 1 to SZ 91. Killing the cruiser is nice because it gives Italy a bit more freedom, yet killing the trans & sub in SZ 106 is more important IMHO because it slows a canadian reinforcement army and gives your subs more freedom as UK will only have 1 dd. SZ 111 is necessary because you don’t really want to trade airforce for a bb and dd, especially since UK will likely scramble because you have no way of soaking up hits, while they have 1 free hit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m