National Advantages for A&A Europe Version 1.2

• @B.:

What about to replace Jet Fighters with Afrika Corps?

Africa Corps for sure, but I would revise or replace the Wolfpack NA, since it would be very strong in combination with your U-Boat Program! One option is to replace the Wolfpack NA with Jet Fighters! More over the Sonar NA seems a bit puny and not that historical correct, since I supose this is already considered in the destroyer abilities! Otherwise I found your NAs for A&AE are great!

What about Gibraltar Garrison or Gibraltar Fortress that we have discussed about before? I think the naval rule for Strait of Gibraltar has become a standard that everybody use by now. So I think these kind of NAs would be desirable in conjuction with the rule for Gibraltar!

Strait of Gibraltar
    Ships may enter or exit the Mediterranean only if you or your allies control Gibraltar .

Gibraltar Garrison
    You may place 2 destroyers for free in Strait of Gibraltar if you control Gibraltar

Gibraltar Fortress
    Increases the defense of all infantry and artillery to a 3 or less

• Nice Dread,
    I have revised the rules to incorporate some new NAs:

2. Scorched Earth
    Whilst withdrawing from the front, the Soviets came to fight a war were they destroyed anything that might be useful to the Germans.
    When the German player conquer any red territory, that territory has no value until the next round of play. The German player may not add a control marker on the just captured red territory, hence may not increase the National Production Chart correspondingly. If the territory is liberated during Russias turn, then the territory regains it’s value.

6. Gibraltar Garission
    The British defense of Gibraltar was of great strategic importance to the Royal Navy. It was a key point in order to gain control of the Mediterranean.
    Any German sea unit (except for submarines) that enter or exit the Strait of Gibraltar can be subjected to an artillery barrage fire from Gibraltar. Roll one die for each artillery in Gibraltar. This is a one-shot attack, a roll of 2 or less is a hit. Germany may chose any of their ships as a casualty, but only battleships and destroyers may counterattack on a 4 and a 2 respectively. Any artillery unit involved in a naval battle may also participate in a regular land combat, but first during the second cycle of combat. You begin the game with one antiaircraft gun and three artillery units in Gibraltar.

• I think that axis should be allowed to move subs thru the straights of Gibratar, while the allies should not be able to move naval units into the Denmarck straights into the baltic unless Allies own norway and sweden (2nd edition) or perhaps never. Soviets should not be allowed to leave the baltic either.

Also in the eastern medd if the axis land troops in afrika and dont control egypt or the suez they shold get a free shot from Malta garrison. Alot of the shipping was attacked by the Malta garrison. Obviously, its not possible to represent Malta so we assign Egypt as the focal point as an alternate choice.

The shot should be one roll against each transport hitting on a “one”.

Another thing is no ships in or out of turkish straights unless Turkey is conquered first.

That is all for now.

• @Imperious:

I think that axis should be allowed to move subs thru the straights of Gibratar, while the allies should not be able to move naval units into the Denmarck straights into the baltic unless Allies own norway and sweden (2nd edition) or perhaps never. Soviets should not be allowed to leave the baltic either…

Any suggestions to a rule for straits like Gibraltar. It should be something like the rules for cannals, I think. It could be like: Ships may enter or exit sea zone X only if you or your allies control territory Y (adjacent to sea zone X). This will however not work for A&AE since the strait of Gibraltar has it’s own sea zone! :-?

• Ok on the surface of it i dont like the “guns of navarone” idea. If even one ship is sunk which is equal to saying “historically 10-25 warships were destroyed by the attempt to cross the straights of Gibrater due to the massive British gun called the -‘London gun’- with its huge 16” guns." This is totally inaccurate, however something simple like “your not allowed to move across unless you own Gibrater”… now thats more like it in my book. Remember these areas “straights” should not be confused with a canal. A canal requires the ability of shore based fixtures (e.g. men and equipment) to raise or lower the water levels to allow a safe passage so control of the adjacent land is important. Moving thru say the straights of Gibrater or Denmarck is basically 30 mile wide path of water with no mechanical obstructions of any type. The passage could be mined so the ships would have to travel in a zig zag pattern to get thru, all the while those “london guns” would be shooting salvos at you. The British didnt have this capability at Gibrater so i dont feel it should apply.

Malta is different… as i stated that base harrased all the shipping moving to africa and cost the axis dearly. I like to represent this in the game because it did happen with some kind of small rule (optional of course).

• @Imperious:

Ok on the surface of it i dont like the “guns of navarone” idea…

Malta is different… as i stated that base harassed all the shipping moving to Africa and cost the axis dearly. I like to represent this in the game because it did happen with some kind of small rule (optional of course).

Fortress Malta
    Malta was of great strategic importance to the Royal Navy. It lies in the perfect strategic position to interdict Axis supplies destined for north Africa.
    You may use Malta as an unsinkable aircraft carrier and treat Malta as part of the Sicilian Sea. When a German unit enters the Sicilian Sea, combat or non-combat movement, you may chose to use your air units on Malta to defend the entire sea zone. Any air unit involved in a naval battle may not also participate in a regular land combat in Malta. More over it does not cost any movement to take off or land on Malta. Once this advantage has been declared, but only if you control Malta, you may place one anti-aircraft gun and one figther there for free during the mobilize new units phase of your turn.

• I think this advantage is the best one, don’t you think Impy?

Gibraltar Fortress
    The British defense of Gibraltar was of great strategic importance to the Royal Navy. It was a key point in order to gain control of the Mediterranean.
    Once this advantage has been declared, but only if you control Gibraltar and the Strait of Gibraltar, you may place one anti-aircraft gun and three artillery there for free during the mobilize new units phase of your turn. Your artillery in Gibraltar defends on a 3 and your anti-aircraft gun in Gibraltar defends the entire sea zone, Strait of Gibraltar, on a 2 or less. The AA-gun does not defend Gibraltar, but the Strait of Gibraltar, hence may not also participate in a regular land combat.

I also might allow for Malta the ability to participate in Defensive Naval Combat for Allied Fleets in Scicilian SZ… I like it better then Gibraltar… As far As Gibraltar it did serve as a base but making 2 Land based British Advantages in a game where Germany might avoid the Med is mindless suicide for the Brits… Give them another advantage type IMHO… How about:

Naval Firepower
    The British Navy was the Largest and most Advanced Navy of the European Theatre of Operations
    British Battleships now get 2 dice when preforming Land Bombardment. Destroyers may now Land Bombard at 3 but only get 1 Dice.

GG

• @Guerrilla:

I also might allow for Malta the ability to participate in Defensive Naval Combat for Allied Fleets in Sicilian SZ… I like it better then Gibraltar… As far As Gibraltar it did serve as a base but making 2 Land based British Advantages in a game where Germany might avoid the Med is mindless suicide for the Brits… Give them another advantage type IMHO… How about:

Naval Firepower
    The British Navy was the Largest and most Advanced Navy of the European Theatre of Operations
    British Battleships now get 2 dice when preforming Land Bombardment. Destroyers may now Land Bombard at 3 but only get 1 Dice.

GG

The Q was wether it should be Gibraltar Garrison or Fortress Malta, not both? By the way, the NA for Fortress Malta says “you may chose to use your air units on Malta to defend the entire sea zone”, the Sicilian Sea. That includes the ability to participate in Defensive Naval Combat for Allied Fleets in the Sicilian Sea! So, once again, which one do you think would be the most balanced NA?

• The Malta idea is by far the best solution, while Gibrater should not recieve the same merits. However, i hope you have a rule not allowing axis surface vessels crossing thru it unless the british fail to garrison it or the axis take it. The same should go for allies into the baltic w/o control of norway and finland.

• @Imperious:

The Malta idea is by far the best solution, while Gibrater should not recieve the same merits. However, i hope you have a rule not allowing axis surface vessels crossing thru it unless the british fail to garrison it or the axis take it. The same should go for allies into the baltic w/o control of norway and finland.

Would you like to be more precis here? I want you to finish my NA for Malta and write down the new rule (not a NA) for the straits of Gibraltar and Denmark!

good idea… Straits should be a playable rule… And yes I like Malta better… And I would implement my Naval Firepower instead of French Resistance since Resistance units only fought in there home country…

GG

• @Guerrilla:

good idea… Straits should be a playable rule… And yes I like Malta better… And I would implement my Naval Firepower instead of French Resistance since Resistance units only fought in there home country…

GG

Ok, Fortress Malta it is! You French Resistance are only for French territories, you only get those free infantry units if a French territory is liberated! Or was it something else? A bout your increased naval fire power, I think the fact that the destroyers may make a shore bombardment on a 2 (box rules) is good enough!  :wink:

• the malta rule is good as you have stated. if you have another rule about gibrater let me know then we can go from there

@B.:

@Guerrilla:

GG

Ok, Fortress Malta it is! You French Resistance are only for French territories, you only get those free infantry units if a French territory is liberated! Or was it something else? A bout your increased naval fire power, I think the fact that the destroyers may make a shore bombardment on a 2 (box rules) is good enough!  :wink:

sorry, I haven’t played AaAE in a while… I thought that was Box rules for AaAP… Yes you get the units if the Territory is liberated but then you could move them and attack Germany… correct me if I am wrong but French Resistance units didn’t do that… Naval Superiority was the British Advantage and I think that you could capitalize on that since you have no Naval advantages for Britain…

GG

• Hmm… did not get agood response on the Gibraltar rule or Malta Fortress rule, so I ended up in this one for UK:

6.  The Royal Navy
    The Royal Navy was the largest and most advanced navy in the European Theatre of Operations. As the war progressesed the Royal Navy expanded rapidly with large construction programmes, particularly destroyers.
    Your destroyers now cost 10 IPC’s. More over you may once per game place one of your destroyers in a sea zone adjacent to United Kingdom for free during the mobilize new units phase of your turn.

• @djensen:

Did you want me to update what’s online currently?

Yes, I would be greatful if you replaced the ones that are A&A.org House Rules for Europe with these ones. So far there are only three votes, so I gues it is more or less now it has to be done. Thanks in advance of your respons!

/B. Andersson

• This new NA would be so nice, dont you think? Anyone?  :?

Jagdpanzers
    The Germans put their early war experience into the development of tank destroyers. These armor roamed the battlefields to ambush enemy tanks - armed with more powerful guns than similar tanks.
    Your tanks have a first-strike ability (defense only) at an defense factor of 2 when attacked by enemy tanks. The enemy must pick tanks as casualties prior to any other units. Any cassualties destroyed are removed from play, with no chance to attack. This first-strike ability is for the first cycle of combat only.

• Yes thats great! finally a NA about tank destroyers! need something for the Soviets. They both invested heavily in this type of unit.

I would like to have your complete NA list in our project BTW.

• @Imperious:

Yes thats great! finally a NA about tank destroyers! need something for the Soviets. They both invested heavily in this type of unit.

I would like to have your complete NA list in our project BTW.

Well Impy, here you got my NAs for A&A:E. Some of these are not playable and balanced for A&A:R. So it´s not just about have all NAs into one big list. It’s about cherry picking. Many of my ideas have not been good enough by both historical reasons and playabillity. I think that the list for A&A:E is the most comprehensive and balanced so far, for A&A:E. You can read about the first one in house rules for A&A:E on the homepage for A&A.org!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m