• I really like the minatures, but since no new ones are being released, and the scale has gotten everything wonky, are the land minis ever played? Just wondering… I personally think the minis were are great idea, that was too far from the original, scaring potential customers away… Really liked the idea though.
    Thanks,

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Yea, looks like no more sets will be released but the game is still being played by quite a few folks. Not a lot of people on this forum seem too interested but there are other forums devoted just to the miniature game.

• Customizer

I don’t want to knock on mini players and I respect them for their devotion to it. However A&A minis aren’t a Larry Harris creation. The A&A brand on the game is about the only thing that ties them together. Some play both.

I suppose the reason for less participation here is that the miniatures franchise is no longer supported and many participate on A&A.org due to TripleA which is a separate computer game that uses the base mechanics from Axis & Allies but is not a WOTC/Hasbro licensed game. Therefore you don’t actually need to have a copy of A&A board games to play an A&A style game.

Conversely there are some here who don’t play any online A&A or A&A styled games and play just F2F games. There are also those who play both. Essentially the board game has a bigger audience for better or worse. Suppose ForumMini’s or AAUnderground had a board games forum section. That forum section there would probably not have nearly the traffic or participation.

Personally I wish the Minis had more support and were easier and less costly to play I might have had more interest in them. Because they are part of the A&A world though, you have the community’s support so long as there is an active A&A community.

• The minis will never die , there is enough content that the game is “complete” and more is continually added.

@ the gamestores in my area I have never seen anyone play any of the boardgames but we play the minis every week since they are fun and don’t take a day to play we can do an entire 10 player tournament of was before you can play a game of the boardgames.

They are different experiences but the skyrocketing prices for was singles tells you all you need to know about the popularity of the game people are still jumping in.

But the fact remains that there are no more new sets coming out.
    This saddens me because WaS is an awesome game. Especially when ur opponents are
    not historical unit limit Nazis. My 3d islands and game table are works of art, not
    to mention the added expense for the materials used in making the islands and table, gale force 9 gaming aids, smoke,mines,fire plumes(hit markers), storms and airfield and objectives markers.

Ironically set 1 was my most invested set, bought 3 cases whole and another 2.5 cases worth of boosters plus 2-3 starter boxes.
    Set 2 I toned it down abit got about 3.5 cases total
    and about 2 cases of the other sets each.

The land minis are fun but when they changed scale, I lost interest… Already had enough tanks and men, why start over I thought.  Land minis are really fun if you get the chance to play with 3d hex terrain system

Most Minis players are at
    Forumini web site.

• '18 Customizer

You have to think of minis games as a ruleset and not a self contained game. Yes it was a self contained game which was missing certain sculpts but is no longer supported. It doesn’t matter where you get the minis (WotC, Battlefront, Zvesda, PSCo, Command decision, Peter Pig, Quality Castings, Old Glory, skytrex, micro armor and etc), what matters is that you have fun playing the game. Many have gotten mad @ WotC and moved on to other 15mm games in protest which is just stupid. WotC won’t make anymore minis so I’m going out to join a game where I have to assemble and paint the minis but I won’t assemble and paint minis for WotC cause I’m mad. Ive played all the major minis games (yes I’m old) and the clunkyness of FoW and command desision just boggles my mind as to why someone would switch from AAM to either of them. Take the ruleset and carry on playing!

On another note, I own the AAM Database (http://aamcardbase.com/) and searches over the last couple of years have declined about 20% from 10,000 searches per month to 8000 searches per month. It seems that there are lots of people still playing and enjoying the game dispite all the discontent and forum doom and gloom. Again, take the ruleset and carry on!

[EDIT] - I play the land game and don’t bother much with the other two.

• @Deaths:

But the fact remains that there are no more new sets coming out.
    This saddens me because WaS is an awesome game. Especially when ur opponents are
    not historical unit limit Nazis. My 3d islands and game table are works of art, not
    to mention the added expense for the materials used in making the islands and table, gale force 9 gaming aids, smoke,mines,fire plumes(hit markers), storms and airfield and objectives markers.

Ironically set 1 was my most invested set, bought 3 cases whole and another 2.5 cases worth of boosters plus 2-3 starter boxes.
    Set 2 I toned it down abit got about 3.5 cases total
    and about 2 cases of the other sets each.

The land minis are fun but when they changed scale, I lost interest… Already had enough tanks and men, why start over I thought.  Land minis are really fun if you get the chance to play with 3d hex terrain system

Most Minis players are at
    Forumini web site.

For was they are working on the 3rd 72 card set by the time that is done almost every conceivable unit will be done (they need a 4th set to outright complete it).

The cmg model no longer applies to the game its a wargame in its own right now and the models themselves are used for @ least 2 other games.

The game doesnt “need” new sets it is the most complete miniature ww2 naval game that will ever exist.

I just love the mini’s game, playing, collecting, it’s right up my alley.  So much of this game appeals to me as far as play time, no painting and assembling, simplicity.  I’m not super historic as far as what pieces actually fought against each other so it’s fun to play against whatever you want and no tape measures! This past Thanksgiving, three of us battled using only Axis nations!

There is nothing more fun then opening up a case of boosters and seeing what you get as well.

Azrael, have you still not never opened a booster?

• Customizer

@hkytown1:

I just love the mini’s game, playing, collecting, it’s right up my alley.  So much of this game appeals to me as far as play time, no painting and assembling, simplicity.  I’m not super historic as far as what pieces actually fought against each other so it’s fun to play against whatever you want and no tape measures! This past Thanksgiving, three of us battled using only Axis nations!

There is nothing more fun then opening up a case of boosters and seeing what you get as well.

Yeah they look pretty fun. I just couldn’t afford to buy all the minis.

• @hkytown1:

I opened only 1 ever which was a prize for winning a tournament it contained an OR as the rare lol of which I already owned 3 lol.

I prefer finding 6.00 hellcats, 8.00 sparvs, 6.00 hsb’s, 0.99 edsalls, 14.00 warspites, 8.00 gz’s etc hehe

Yea, that’s the hard part about boosters, you live and die by them…at least I do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m