Axis & Allies Minis War at Sear Preview 1

• Founder TripleA Admin

The first preview is available and I’ve posted the news article, including a commentary. http://www.axisandallies.org/node/239

• I like the look of the ships and the models, and hopefully the soft plastic won’t warp.  I don’t want to open a booster and find a battleship with a bent hull (some of my A&AM planes have badly bent wings).

That aside, I’m curious to see how they will handle unique ships of the same class.  Will the Enterprise, Yorktown(CV-5), and Wasp(CV-7) all have different stats and SAs?

• '19 Moderator

Those look pretty tough, that Bismark is a mean lookin boat.  I’m not much in to naval stuff but those look tempting.

• They look awesome.  Although I’m still waiting for the airplanes preview before I buy.  I kinda wanted to see a preview of the planes on a carrier but planes by themselves will do.

• Founder TripleA Admin

What did you guys think of my commentary about War at Sea? Anybody else worried about the gameplay and possible lack of strategy? This could seriously end up being fun in the meta-game only.

• I’m not really sure how well the tactics behind real naval battles will be simulated in the game, so for now I’ll just say that the models look killer.

I always thought Bismarck and the german subs were real badass  :-D

• @djensen:

What did you guys think of my commentary about War at Sea? Anybody else worried about the gameplay and possible lack of strategy? This could seriously end up being fun in the meta-game only.

Not knowing how the game works, I’d say that it’s a valid assessment. I was extremely disappointed with SSB and it’s… extreme simplicity.

I assure you though, WAS has more depth and strategy than that.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think a sideboard of units on each side could potentially accomplish this. You might be able use all of none of them depending on circumstances in the game. Maybe other circumstances allow your opponent to pick which units xor where the unit gets placed.

It could introduce that element of the unknown. And to gain an advantage you would need to use different tactics to gather information instead of attacking.

• @djensen:

I think a sideboard of units on each side could potentially accomplish this. You might be able use all of none of them depending on circumstances in the game. Maybe other circumstances allow your opponent to pick which units xor where the unit gets placed.

Again another good and interesting point. I’m not personally a fan of sideboarding, but it could be useful in AAM Tournaments.

WAS has made much more of an effort to have players make balanced forces; only certain unit type are able to perform certain functions, etc.

• That sideboarding idea actually sounds interesting.  How exactly would it work?

• Founder TripleA Admin

I don’t know yet. I’ll flesh out the idea more after March 5.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m