• '19 Moderator

All right guys and gals, there has been a lot of arguing lately, I don’t really care so much about arguing. That’s one of the reasons for message boards. However, the name calling and insulting will stop. We haven’t had much of a defined policy, because it hasn’t been necessary. Well now I think it is.

I can only speak for myself, but I am sure the other Mods will agree. From now on any post I see with an insult directed at another member of the board will be deleted. I will also send a warning via pm to the poster. If you feel you have been insulted you have a choice.

1. You can ignore it
      -or-
    2. you can bring it to the attention of one of the Moderators, who will make a judgment and act accordingly.

If you respond in kind you will be treated in kind.

For those of you that don’t know it we moderators have a “secret forum” that you “commoners” don’t have access to. I for one will be starting a thread in the name of anyone whose post I have to delete. If you thread get too big your name will be banned. Since post count seems to be a point of pride around here. You can start a new name, but if the behavior doesn’t change your IP will be banned etc.

Again this is what I will be doing what the other Mods do is up to them.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

What about account suspension before deletion? Kinda a “last warning” deal? 30 days on an alias is almost as bad as starting from scratch, IMHO.

• Off with their heads! :x

(Whack!) :o
    (Thud!) :cry:
    Gurgle, gurgle!

OH, please, oh, please, oh, please, oh, please!
    Don’t take away my alternative to fighting through the chat/arguing/blather/cursing/nonsense of the chat rooms. I find it so much easier if you have to fight through my chat/arguing/blather/cursing/nonsense! :wink:

• Jeez, I go on vacation and come back and the world changes :) It’s really pretty sad that a step like this is necessary. It may be hard at times to judge intent though, so I hope this is something done with a large degree of ‘safe side’ meaning erring on the side of the person who is doing the insulting, etc. Some stuff is pretty clear, but bad humor taken out of context could fall into this category.

Do you have an appeals process in mind for those who didn’t think they were being insulting/abusive, etc?

• yes, what constitutes an insult? because what if i say something insulting to someone, as a joke, and they got it, but you didnt?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Janus1:

yes, what constitutes an insult? because what if i say something insulting to someone, as a joke, and they got it, but you didnt?

Or worse, you were just misunderstood in your meaning…a typical communications breakdown that seems to occur on these boards more often that one can count. ;)

• @Janus1:

yes, what constitutes an insult? because what if i say something insulting to someone, as a joke, and they got it, but you didnt?

Janus - you of all people know that it is not this arbitrary. I have given several people (yourself included) multiple warnings when they approach “the line”. Obviously if there is an “inside joke” that i am missing, then subsequent to a warning one or both participants merely have to clue me in that this is the case.

To answer your first question - i think the fact that this is under the thread “civility” should point all of us (myself included) into the proper direction. “You are a dumba$$” is clearly inappropriate. “Your issue appears to be baseless” tends to be the beginning of a reasonable argument.

• fair enough cc, i just dont want someone being overzealous to read something tongue-in-cheek, or something thats understood by both involved parties to be a joke, to be taken as an insult and deleted. esp. since i know both you and i, as well as others do this from time to time.

• @Janus1:

That was my point Janus. That’s why I said I would hope they’ll error on the side of caution and let ‘borderline’ stuff go. Generally it’s too subjective to be judged accurately, especially individual comments.

• Or… maybe people could just stay away from the borderline stuff? Wouldn’t that make life so much easier, and count down so much on hard feelings, etc.? Maybe it’s just me, but seems to make sense… :P

• @Wargaming_nut:

Or… maybe people could just stay away from the borderline stuff? Wouldn’t that make life so much easier, and count down so much on hard feelings, etc.? Maybe it’s just me, but seems to make sense… :P

. . . but less fun.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m