Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• And the tanks aren’t damaged like battleships, but are completely intact. So every turn you attack ( not on defense) they can absorb one hit each.

• If a sea zone is contested at the start of the player’s turn, can they retreat from the sea zone?

Currently it’s Britain’s turn, and they have a damaged battleship and three transports in sz10 with 4 German battleships. Germany dumped it’s entire income last turn to force the hand of Britain.

• @TheVenocWarlord:

If a sea zone is contested at the start of the player’s turn, can they retreat from the sea zone?

Currently it’s Britain’s turn, and they have a damaged battleship and three transports in sz10 with 4 German battleships. Germany dumped it’s entire income last turn to force the hand of Britain.

No such thing as a contested sea zone, just friendly or hostile.  That said, UK can move their ships wherever they want and do not need to conduct combat.

• @Texas:

@TheVenocWarlord:

If a sea zone is contested at the start of the player’s turn, can they retreat from the sea zone?

No such thing as a contested sea zone, just friendly or hostile.  That said, UK can move their ships wherever they want and do not need to conduct combat.

Okay. Thanks!

• Just to get a bit of clarification on the top of page 20.  It says I can elect to not attack enemy ships.  So I can move the Austrian fleet into the same sea zone as the Italian fleet and not conduct combat?  If there was also British ships present, could I choose to only attack the Brits or is it all or nothing?

• @Texas:

Just to get a bit of clarification on the top of page 20.  It says I can elect to not attack enemy ships.  So I can move the Austrian fleet into the same sea zone as the Italian fleet and not conduct combat?  If there was also British ships present, could I choose to only attack the Brits or is it all or nothing?

I believe that only applies if you start in the same sea zone as the enemy ships.

~Venoc, noticing we answered each other’s questions about the same thing. lol

• @TheVenocWarlord:

@Texas:

Just to get a bit of clarification on the top of page 20.  It says I can elect to not attack enemy ships.  So I can move the Austrian fleet into the same sea zone as the Italian fleet and not conduct combat?  If there was also British ships present, could I choose to only attack the Brits or is it all or nothing?

I believe that only applies if you start in the same sea zone as the enemy ships.

~Venoc, noticing we answered each other’s questions about the same thing. lol

It actually doesn’t specify that though.  In the movement phase, all it says is you have to stop if you encounter a hostile sea zone.

• Official Q&A

You are never required to conduct sea combat, unless you are doing an amphibious assault or reinforcement and the sea zone contains enemy surface warships.  If you do attack, you must attack all of the enemy units in the sea zone.  The only exception is for the Central Powers if the United States is not yet at war, in which case they may ignore any US units and attack only units belonging to other Allied powers.

• Great, thank you.  I have been playing that wrong the whole time and that certainly changes things.

• @Krieghund:

@anoid226:

The rules state that units being loaded onto a transport “must use their entire move to load onto and/or offload from a transport.” A fighter’s move is 2 spaces. Does this indicates that fighters cannot move 1 space into the coastal tt, then use the remaining 1 space of their movement as their “move” onto the transport?

They cannot.

@anoid226:

Like tanks in the WWII versions?

They can’t, either.

@Quintus:

Also can land a plane on a transport if the transport is not on the coast, but still 2 movement spots away?

No.

In other words, you can’t do this :

Turn 1, build transports with British empire
    Turn 2, move troops into transports to land them in Europe

?

• Customizer

Yes you can.

• @Imperious:

Is the small space between Egypt and Trans-Jordan controlled by UK or Ottomans? Why isn’t it labeled and does it count for separate movement? ( meaning it takes two land moves to get to TJ.)

It is part of Egypt.  See page 11 of the Rulebook.

I was confused as hell when I saw this tiny grey territory. Why is the territory not the same color as Egypt then? Shouldn’t it be the UK-yellow?

• Yes, it probably should be the same color as the rest of Egypt.

• We have playd this game only once, and the Allies got slammed by the Central powers. Mostly we made som mistakes, but i had a hard time as UK to actually land units at the front. An invasion of Kiel was underway, but the mines keept blowing up my fully loaded Transports. Thats a shitty way to bring my units to the front, but the only one i really had, other than marching from Belgium or Paris, and that took a long time compared to the Germans that could reinforce from Berlin.

But do mines attack transports aswell? even though contested? a reading of the rules makes me sure they do, but?

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• @Krieghund:

Apparently there’s been some confusion about one of the clarifications:

If the colony of a minor power aligned to your power is moved into or captured by a friendly power, that power takes control of the territory.

The intent of this clarification was to indicate which power takes control when the colony was moved into for the first time.  It was never intended that a power can steal a colony from another major power on the same side.  For example, if Italy moves into Belgian Congo initially, it gets control of the territory.  However, if all Italian units later leave the territory, Britain cannot move units in and take control.  Britain can only gain control if the Central Powers take Belgian Congo from Italy and then Britain retakes it.

I have updated the entry on page 14 of this thread to the following:

If the colony of a minor power aligned to your power is moved into for the first time or captured by a friendly power, that power takes control of the territory.

So, I was going through the WWI/1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread and came across this post. Have some questions :

1). If Belgium is controlled by the Germans on Turn 1 and Britain moves units in Belgian Congo on Turn 1, does Britain get the IPC’s for Belgian Congo?

2). What if the Germans never took Belgian on Turn 1?

3). What if Belgium is contested?

If France takes Portugal on Turn 1, does it also get the IPC’s for Angola and Portuguese E. Africa? If not, then the first power to move into Angola and Portuguese E. Africa get the IPC’s?

• @Krieghund:

As promised, here is the consolidated list of errata and clarifications, in order of appearance in the Rulebook.  It should cover all of your questions.  Larry and I have done some talking, and you’ll find a couple of pleasant (I hope) surprises.  They are highlighted in red.

Original territories are the territories a major power begins the game with.  They are the territories that have only that power’s emblem on them.

If a minor power aligned to your power is mobilized by a friendly power, you take control of the territory.

If the colony of a minor power aligned to your power is moved into for the first time or captured by a friendly power, that power takes control of the territory.

If a minor power aligned to your power is captured by a friendly power, the capturing power takes control of the territory.  Only originally controlled territories can be liberated.

As the United States is neutral before it’s at war, it has no friends or enemies; therefore it may not move units into territories controlled by other Allied powers.  It also may not load units onto transports before it’s at war.

United States units may not be used to represent the mobilized forces of minor neutral territories before it’s at war.

The Russian Revolution has the following effects:

• Russia will no longer have a turn, and will no longer be considered to be either friend or enemy to any other power.

• Serbia and Romania will be treated as minor neutral powers for the remainder of the game.

• All Russian units outside of original Russian territories will be immediately removed from the board, and Russia will immediately relinquish control of any non-original territories it may hold, including those of formerly aligned minor neutral powers.  If units belonging to other Allied powers are in these territories, control will be established using the rules for moving all units on one side out of a contested territory (see “Land Units”, page 15), otherwise these territories will be uncontrolled until another power moves into them and will not mobilize units when entered.

• Any original Russian territories that are contested at the time of the revolution will be considered to be shared for the remainder of the game.  Shared territories that have no Russian units in them will each have one Russian infantry added to them to represent Russia’s interest in them.

• Attacks may no longer be made by either side in original Russian territories that are either controlled by Russia or shared between Russia and the Central Powers.

• The Central Powers may no longer move units into territories controlled by Russia.  Central Powers forces can move into or out of territories shared between them and Russia at any time, but the Central Powers must maintain at least one infantry unit in each such territory at all times.  Central Powers do not collect income from shared territories.  Rules restricting land unit movement out of contested territories (see “Land Units”, page 15) will not apply to these shared territories.

• Other Allied powers may no longer move units into original Russian territories that are either controlled by Russia or shared between Russia and the Central Powers.  Any such units remaining in those territories at the end of their next respective turn will be removed from the board at that time.

• Original Russian territories that are controlled by the Central Powers at the time of the revolution are considered to have no original controller for the remainder of the game.  If such a territory is captured by an Allied power, that power takes control rather than returning it to Russia.  If such a territory is left without units in it after a battle due to both sides being eliminated, it will not be controlled by any power (place any national control marker on it face down to denote this status) until a power moves units into it.

You can repair a battleship if it is in a sea zone that shares a naval base that is either controlled by you or a friendly power or is contested and was originally controlled by you or a friendly power.

Land units that begin the turn in contested territories can only be moved to territories that at the beginning of the turn were either controlled by your power or contained units belonging to your power.  (They can also remain at sea if moved by transport.)

If the territory that shares a naval base with a mined sea zone is contested, only ships that belong to enemies of the original controlling power have to roll for mines.

If you are offloading units from a transport in a friendly sea zone and the transport has encountered mines during its movement, the mines are rolled for before the transport offloads.

If one of your loaded transports hits a mine in a sea zone it entered before it loaded some of all of the units, those units are returned to the territory or territories from which they were loaded and may not move in the current turn.  Of course, any units that were already on the transport before it entered the mined sea zone are lost.

If you are planning an amphibious assault or reinforcement, but some of your ships hit mines while attempting to deliver the units, you may call off the landing.

If you are moving units into a territory both by land and amphibiously, one infantry unit must move in by land, unless you already have one there.

When a defending multinational force gains air supremacy, all defending artillery are promoted.

If you take control of enemy capital on that enemy’s turn due to his attacking you in that territory and losing, any units he purchased are returned to his storage box, and you collect the refunded IPCs.

You have to mobilize all of the units that you purchase in the same turn.

You can’t mobilize sea units from a territory that was controlled by an enemy power at any point during your turn.

If you purchase a ship but realize during the Mobilize New Units phase that you have no eligible naval base to mobilize it with, it is returned to your storage tray, and the IPCs are refunded to you.

The British Empire cannot mobilize units in India if it is enemy-controlled.

Are these official changes?

• Official Q&A

@Commando:

So, I was going through the WWI/1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread and came across this post. Have some questions :

1). If Belgium is controlled by the Germans on Turn 1 and Britain moves units in Belgian Congo on Turn 1, does Britain get the IPC’s for Belgian Congo?

2). What if the Germans never took Belgian on Turn 1?

3). What if Belgium is contested?

In all of these cases, Britain takes control of Belgian Congo.

@Commando:

If France takes Portugal on Turn 1, does it also get the IPC’s for Angola and Portuguese E. Africa?

No.

@Commando:

If not, then the first power to move into Angola and Portuguese E. Africa get the IPC’s?

Yes.

@Commando:

Are these official changes?

Yes.

• Question about navals mines. Am I correct to assume they are they rolled for during the movement phase? So I couldn’t, for example, take an enemy province with a sea port then fight a mine-free naval battle in the adjacent sea zone?

• @Harry:

Question about navals mines. Am I correct to assume they are they rolled for during the movement phase? So I couldn’t, for example, take an enemy province with a sea port then fight a mine-free naval battle in the adjacent sea zone?

No, Flashman, You roll for it after the movement phase, and just before you conduct the combat phase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m