• Well, the ‘jutland battle’ will be the turn the UK smashes Germany’s Fleet

• @Flashman:

From which we must assume that the German navy in my example is well and truly screwed.

The real war had one major surface fleet battle - Jutland.

That’s precisely one more than this game is gonna get.

Why would that be? Based on the set up, Germany actually has the advantage in the North Sea. They have 1 Battleship, 2 Cruisers and 2 Subs and could even bring up 2 more subs from the Mid-Atlantic on the first turn and sink the British Fleet in the North Sea. The British only have 1 Battleship and 2 Cruisers. This would prevent Britain from shipping reinforcements over to the Western Front for at least 1 round. Unless the minefields in the game are completely devastating to go into, Germany’s got the advantage out of the gates.

• The update that talks about the political situation says that Minor Powers with colonies don’t mobilize units in their colonies and that they only mobilize if their capital territory is attacked. Does this mean that if you invade Spanish Morocco or the Balearic Islands that there is no military presence? Meaning free IPC for France?

• Customizer

As I mentioned above, I see no reason for Germany not to just walk into Congo (assuming they also attack Belgium r1).

France could get the free IPC for Spanish Morocco, but I assume that this would force Spain into the enemy camp giving the CPs control of Spain and its small army.

@Hitlers:

The update that talks about the political situation says that Minor Powers with colonies don’t mobilize units in their colonies and that they only mobilize if their capital territory is attacked. Does this mean that if you invade Spanish Morocco or the Balearic Islands that there is no military presence? Meaning free IPC for France?

• Customizer

My point is that the risk of being stranded in a contested enemy SZ if the battle goes against you (or you hit a bunch of mines) is so great that no sane Admiral would take it. I pity the fools.

If, however, you can retreat into friendly waters when you call off the battle, the risk is far less, as you can then repair and reinforce the fleet behind the protection of your own mines.

Without the retreat option, fighting a big fleet battle in enemy waters is an all-or-nothing gamble.

@Hitlers:

Why would that be? Based on the set up, Germany actually has the advantage in the North Sea. They have 1 Battleship, 2 Cruisers and 2 Subs and could even bring up 2 more subs from the Mid-Atlantic on the first turn and sink the British Fleet in the North Sea. The British only have 1 Battleship and 2 Cruisers. This would prevent Britain from shipping reinforcements over to the Western Front for at least 1 round. Unless the minefields in the game are completely devastating to go into, Germany’s got the advantage out of the gates.

• '16

@Flashman:

As I mentioned above, I see no reason for Germany not to just walk into Congo (assuming they also attack Belgium r1).

France could get the free IPC for Spanish Morocco, but I assume that this would force Spain into the enemy camp giving the CPs control of Spain and its small army.

@Hitlers:

The update that talks about the political situation says that Minor Powers with colonies don’t mobilize units in their colonies and that they only mobilize if their capital territory is attacked. Does this mean that if you invade Spanish Morocco or the Balearic Islands that there is no military presence? Meaning free IPC for France?

I wonder how that works out. Does Spain immediately go under the control of a Central Power or does it become a minor aligned power that waits to be activated?

If its the latter, I think I’d prefer to invade Spanish Morocco every game.

• Customizer

Although it is not explicit, the rules seem to indicate that it means war, even though it mobilizes no units. Or perhaps not.

Expect a clarification on this rule after the game is officially released.

As usual.

Hey, don’t blame Jensen, he only has a copy of the official rules - don’t expect him to know how the game works.

You think he’s telepathic? You think he knows what’s in Larry’s mind?

• @Flashman:

Although it is not explicit, the rules seem to indicate that it means war, even though it mobilizes no units. Or perhaps not.

Expect a clarification on this rule after the game is officially released.

As usual.

Hey, don’t blame Jensen, he only has a copy of the official rules - don’t expect him to know how the game works.

You think he’s telepathic? You think he knows what’s in Larry’s mind?

No one’s blaming anybody, I was just starting conversation and speculation. If Spain can’t mobilize units and join the CP immediately after an Allied attack on their colonies then there is no

incentive to NOT attack their colonies. If that’s the case, it just seems like a bizarre rule, It’s different with Belgium and Portugal because they are going to enter the war whether they get

attacked or not.

• @Flashman:

My point is that the risk of being stranded in a contested enemy SZ if the battle goes against you (or you hit a bunch of mines) is so great that no sane Admiral would take it. I pity the fools.

If, however, you can retreat into friendly waters when you call off the battle, the risk is far less, as you can then repair and reinforce the fleet behind the protection of your own mines.

Without the retreat option, fighting a big fleet battle in enemy waters is an all-or-nothing gamble.

@Hitlers:

I see what you mean. I think it was stated at some point (probably after your post) that naval battles are fought in the traditional A&A way in that it continues till the attacker retreats or

one side is destroyed so there isn’t contested sea zones. However, if the minefields end up being a major determent to an enemy navy then yes, I could see naval battles being non-

existent.

• Customizer

I think the exact quote is that naval battles continue for as long as the attacker wants them to.

I’m pretty sure this is the only way to allow amphibious assaults, otherwise it would’ve been the same one round of combat only.

Since Larry has mentioned contested sea zones (you can launch new ships into them) I must assume that they come about through an attacker deciding to call off an attack, but staying in the SZ to make it contested. No mention has been made of retreats, which is why I think big naval attacks are so damned risky, and will probably be avoided.

• Well, they did avoid big naval battles in WWI (well, for 2 years until Jutland and then after that) simply because it was risky.  Having a “Fleet in Being” was far too valuable.

• From Larry’s Imperial Russia post:

“New sea units can be placed in any sea zone that shares a naval base symbol with a territory that you originally controlled. New units can enter play even in a contested territory or hostile sea zone. No combat occurs because the Conduct Combat phase will be long past.”

I read this as follows:

contested territory = land territory with a naval base that has enemy units present (and thus is contested) but where new naval units can still be placed in the adjacent sea zone (note Larry doesn’t say contested sea zone).

hostile sea zone = sea zone adjacent to a land territory with a naval base that is occupied by enemy naval units but where new naval units can still be placed (as in previous versions of A&A).

With the usual caveat that I may be wrong, I can’t recall Larry saying anything about a contested sea zone, but I will search the reports.

• Customizer

@BJCard:

Well, they did avoid big naval battles in WWI (well, for 2 years until Jutland and then after that) simply because it was risky.  Having a “Fleet in Being” was far too valuable.

True, but Germany did risk the High Seas Fleet at Jutland. And the only reason they did so was because they knew that if it got too hot they could scuttle back into home port and make repairs.

If the game makes a badly mauled attacking fleet stay in hostile waters then we’re back to the “sitting duck” status of fleets in WWII versions - it’s an even bigger risk than it was historically. We’ve gone from one extreme to the other.

My solution would be:

Allow the attacking fleet to retreat back where it came from, but allow the enemy fleet to pursue. Then that side has to consider risking the mines to finish off the wounded foe. A pursuing fleet cannot retreat, but of course it gets it’s next turn before the rival navy plays again.

Perhaps a fleet in a contested SZ which contains its own home NB can be considered blockaded; it cannot sail out of the SZ until it has destroyed or driven off the contesting ships.

I’m assuming here that, under normal circumstances, a fleet in an already contested SZ can sail away without engaging the enemy.

• Customizer

That is not my interpretation. I believe the map has been so designed that only one NB is adjacent to any given SZ, therefore you cannot build navy into a SZ adjacent to an enemy NB, therefore a hostile SZ must be one containing enemy ships, therefore since there is no combat after such a placement the SZ itself becomes contested.

@wove100:

From Larry’s Imperial Russia post:

“New sea units can be placed in any sea zone that shares a naval base symbol with a territory that you originally controlled. New units can enter play even in a contested territory or hostile sea zone. No combat occurs because the Conduct Combat phase will be long past.”

I read this as follows:

contested territory = land territory with a naval base that has enemy units present (and thus is contested) but where new naval units can still be placed in the adjacent sea zone (note Larry doesn’t say contested sea zone).

hostile sea zone = sea zone adjacent to a land territory with a naval base that is occupied by enemy naval units but where new naval units can still be placed (as in previous versions of A&A).

With the usual caveat that I may be wrong, I can’t recall Larry saying anything about a contested sea zone, but I will search the reports.

• Customizer

It may be that “Hostile Sea Zone” is the official description of a “contested” Sz, i.e. one where rival navies are present but not in combat.

But it still doesn’t entirely clear up if an attacking navy can retreat after calling off the attack.

• Just a little update, I searched the turn reports and could find no mention of the concept of a “contested sea zone.” This leads me to believe that if the attacker calls off a naval battle he or she retreats, just like in other A&A games.

@Flashman:

That is not my interpretation. I believe the map has been so designed that only one NB is adjacent to any given SZ, therefore you cannot build navy into a SZ adjacent to an enemy NB, therefore a hostile SZ must be one containing enemy ships, therefore since there is no combat after such a placement the SZ itself becomes contested.

I may not have worded it well, but I didn’t mean to imply that naval units could be built in a sea zone with an enemy naval base. Say Kiel has a naval base. Germany could build naval units in the adjacent sea zone even if British ships were present. Furthermore, if Kiel was contested, Germany could still build ships in the sea zone adjacent to Kiel. That’s all I was trying to get across. Sorry about the confusion.

• I thought it was clear that naval battles were not changed too much, just no carriers and no destroyers.  A hostile SZ has always been one with enemy ships in It.

• Customizer

So no contested SZs, then.

Does that meant that, when a player with ships in a SZ that an enemy has just built a new ship into takes his turn, he must either fight the new units to the death or withdraw?

• I would hope said enemy naval base would be considered blockaded and as such no new naval units could be placed in it, but that’s just me.

• @Flashman:

So no contested SZs, then.

Does that meant that, when a player with ships in a SZ that an enemy has just built a new ship into takes his turn, he must either fight the new units to the death or withdraw?

If I remember correctly, ships can avoid battle in previous A&A versions, but perhaps he’s changed it to simulate the necessity of breaking through the blockade?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m