• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I can think of one scenario where a Greenland airbase might be a good idea:

1. No declaration of war against USA until J4.
    2. Germany taking a very slow walk into Russia starting G3 into East Poland and not Baltic states.
    3. UK fighters deployed to some task other than defending Moscow

Under those circumstances, putting fighters and an airbase in Greenland while USA is still neutral could get the planes to Scotland then Nenetsia a turn sooner than they could by going to London/Scotland/Nenetsia/Moscow.  That’s a lot of “ifs”.  I can’t really imagine actually doing it.

• @Eggman:

@Larrie:

Not true. While not at war, US is neutral, and therefore cannot move into any tt’s other than there own.

Yes.  The US owns Greenland.

Quoting from the 2e Europe '40 rulebook, page 37:

“While not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the
    Europe map only in sea zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories”.

Since Greenland is a US territory, you are not prohibited from moving any of your units there.  I offer no opinions on the utility of such a move, but it is allowed.  There are no restrictions there on Continental or not.  If there were, this would also prohibit placing units in the West Indies.

As a possibility, in addition to the Naval Base I discussed earlier, you could also dump an Air Base on Greenland and load it with Air units which could then reach the UK in one turn.

I was referring to the statement concerning Baszil

• Sorry, that should have read Brazil

• Sponsor

@Jeff28:

A lot of players will attack the US by Japan 3 so you’re already fighting then. But if not, in the meantime…

Really basic ideas:

1. You can build an entire US Fleet and park it off the coast of Queensland, Austraila. Move you Phillipines units there to join up. Park a destroyer at Midway to block Japan from taking Pearl Harbor and you’re in business.

This allows you to attack the big money Dutch Islands and the Philippines J4 and keep Japan from killing Anzac.

2. You could also build a fleet ready to take Gibralter/Morocco r4 and attack Norway or Italy rd 5.

3. If the Germans are threatening sea lion by buying transports G2 building a stack of bombers in the Eastern US could allow you to sink their fleet after the invasion of London.

Plan for a 10 round game at least. The US gets into action well before halftime.

This is a really good post.

Preparing for war by buying stuff with a lot of cash, is harder than most think, and takes practice. If it’s round 3 and you’re finally able to move towards Gibraltar, there will be no excuse for not having enough land units in your transports.

• I’ll have to go look at the map while nobody is in the war room yet, and see how I sit for a Gibraltar run. Just did round 2 (we are supper busy over here) so might have to use US3 to set up my purchases for it. Hrm…

• Use those turns to position yourself for your goal.

I usually move subs into positions for the next round interdiction’s and destroyers into positions to SLOW the JPN fleet.

• Yes, moved and positioned like a few have mentioned. Now at turn 5 two main fleets, J in Philippines and US in Pearl are poised. So I suppose the next move is upon Japan. Europe side as some have mentioned, I have a few transports and cover at Gibraltar, not enough to take and hold but enough to redirect Germany off of USSR a bit. So I think by happenstance its panning out sort-of textbook in nature.
    Concerned that J will bring his fleet down on my Pearl fleet but I think loss or marginal win I, the US, will win due to IPC superiority. Japan sitting at roughly 44 and US at 75. These next couple turns later today will determine. India is not threatened to heavily as his fleet does not have enough ground troops to do anything.

• '12

@Glendel:

Concerned that J will bring his fleet down on my Pearl fleet but I think loss or marginal win I, the US, will win due to IPC superiority. Japan sitting at roughly 44 and US at 75. These next couple turns later today will determine. India is not threatened to heavily as his fleet does not have enough ground troops to do anything.

Be sure to pay attention to the Japanese Air Force.  You might think you can handle the navy, forgetting that they can scoop up a score of planes to throw in, landing them on all the various islands.  It’s very common to have Carrier Air attack and land on an island while land-based planes join the battle and then take their place on the Carriers.

• @Glendel:

Yes, moved and positioned like a few have mentioned. Now at turn 5 two main fleets, J in Philippines and US in Pearl are poised. So I suppose the next move is upon Japan. Europe side as some have mentioned, I have a few transports and cover at Gibraltar, not enough to take and hold but enough to redirect Germany off of USSR a bit. So I think by happenstance its panning out sort-of textbook in nature.

If you are playing face to face, you might offer up some table talk that you don’t think your fleet in Hawaii would survive a Japanese attack.

The reason I say that is as follows:  You are much better off as a defender in a naval battle than the aggressor.  Japan sacrifices much in attacking a large US fleet with that considered.  So acting like you don’t expect to win may encourage the Japanese player to attack you in Pearl - which is exactly what you want.

Why?  The US can replace her fleet much easier than Japan can.  And generally, if Japan loses her fleets, the war in the Pacific results at worst in a stalemate, and at best Japan convoyed out of the game and isolated on her little island chain.

So, act like there’s no way you can win and mention offhand that you’re going to have to figure out what to do when you lose Pearl.

Just my thoughts, let us know how it goes.

• Didnt think of the prospect of hot swapping aircraft from islands to ships. I intended to sortof do that by loading all my AC’s and have another 8 planes in HI ready to replace them, but didnt think of J doing the same for some reason. Will keep out an eye. Fortunately he lost most his air force trying to take China, i had a good 2 rolls with 1’s and 2’s and he lost most of it.

I have the fleet at pearl, his is at Phil. So, next round this afternoon will determine. If he avoids then by proxies i’ll just keep my fleet in range of his at all times while i put together another fleet at W US. Don’t think he can afford to worry bout both my fleets, and India, and Eastern China. This afternoon will be interesting.

• @Spendo02:

@Glendel:

Yes, moved and positioned like a few have mentioned. Now at turn 5 two main fleets, J in Philippines and US in Pearl are poised. So I suppose the next move is upon Japan. Europe side as some have mentioned, I have a few transports and cover at Gibraltar, not enough to take and hold but enough to redirect Germany off of USSR a bit. So I think by happenstance its panning out sort-of textbook in nature.

If you are playing face to face, you might offer up some table talk that you don’t think your fleet in Hawaii would survive a Japanese attack.

The reason I say that is as follows:  You are much better off as a defender in a naval battle than the aggressor.  Japan sacrifices much in attacking a large US fleet with that considered.  So acting like you don’t expect to win may encourage the Japanese player to attack you in Pearl - which is exactly what you want.

Why?  The US can replace her fleet much easier than Japan can.  And generally, if Japan loses her fleets, the war in the Pacific results at worst in a stalemate, and at best Japan convoyed out of the game and isolated on her little island chain.

So, act like there’s no way you can win and mention offhand that you’re going to have to figure out what to do when you lose Pearl.

Just my thoughts, let us know how it goes.

On the contrary, once japan is in control of the dutch islands (income ranging from 65-70), they can much easier afford the losses than the americans.(It takes 2-3 turns before newly made american ships to really threaten Japan)  America has to knock japan out before they work on Europe or both at the same time.  A good Japan player can have a strong force in position to counter the americans if they move too close (like a premature caroline attack).  The US has to be careful and not move up too fast.  If japan wipes out a stack on caroline with reasonable odds, they will likely to still have a good handful of surface ships + carriers left, not including their buy.  If they slow down the americans by wiping out their fleet, then they can have some quality time with india/china.  By the time that the US/Anzac are able to bring in another strong navy, India would have likely fallen and now Japan would be able to spend over 90% of their income to pressure Hawaii/Sydney and keep the americans from reinforcing Europe in strength.

(I like to have an airbase in kwangsi and the majority of surface ships in Phil with a carrier, and the other 2 carriers off malaya.  Combine these with recent buys off seazone 6, means that there will likely be 12 or so japanese planes plus a large variety of subs and surface ships on a US2 or US3 caroline attack.)

This is usually why I like to sit in queensland with the american navy untill I know Caroline is safe.

• I did as you said and prematurely took Caroline Islands. Our fleets were about equal so he did not take his J fleet and retake them. But at the same time mine was sort of useless as he would have the advantage on defense. I pulled my entire fleet back to Pearl to join reinforcements that were on the way. For some reason he left his very large fleet at Philippines and did not pursue.

Next round I took my entire fleet and moved off Japan coast and used 6 carriers and land based bombers on the sea zone. Of course he scrambled and put in the 7 or 8 ships. One combat round, he lost 12 i lost 8. IPC loss in US favor. Landed all new airplanes on carriers.

At this point he can leave Philippines with his fleet to come rescue Japan, or continue to try and amphibious assault India with it. Think it was an upper hand move as I am much closer to US reinforcements now and his fleet is 2 turns out of position.

US and Brits landed in 3 spots in southern and western Germany though so Pacific might just become distraction while Germany takes a nose dive if that player does not gain them back. Think the writing is on the wall….

• Glendel glad you’re now seeing the US is the difference maker, one way or the other.

• @Glendel:

I did as you said and prematurely took Caroline Islands. Our fleets were about equal so he did not take his J fleet and retake them. But at the same time mine was sort of useless as he would have the advantage on defense. I pulled my entire fleet back to Pearl to join reinforcements that were on the way. For some reason he left his very large fleet at Philippines and did not pursue.

Next round I took my entire fleet and moved off Japan coast and used 6 carriers and land based bombers on the sea zone. Of course he scrambled and put in the 7 or 8 ships. One combat round, he lost 12 i lost 8. IPC loss in US favor. Landed all new airplanes on carriers.

At this point he can leave Philippines with his fleet to come rescue Japan, or continue to try and amphibious assault India with it. Think it was an upper hand move as I am much closer to US reinforcements now and his fleet is 2 turns out of position.

US and Brits landed in 3 spots in southern and western Germany though so Pacific might just become distraction while Germany takes a nose dive if that player does not gain them back. Think the writing is on the wall….

Around what turn was this?  I am suprised that the Axis player let the allies do so much.  Usually they can only do one or the other (strong attack on west Europe / build a large fleet to threaten japan).

• I believe about turn 7. Do keep in mind that of the 5 playing, I think only 2 of us have played A&A before and was years ago. So you cant follow too many textbook “should haves” as far as this goes.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m