• @Private:

Ahhh! Thanks Witt. Tech has not been played in any of my games.

Due to the complete randomness of tech and the potential expense associated with it, the uncertainty of tech typically makes tech a non-viable strategy.

Of course, plenty of people play with house rules to get tech into the game beyond the novelty that it typically is.

• The techrules in axis and allies are horrible, and always has been. In the old days, if you played with techs and usa rolled a 6 and a 6, on round 1, it was game over. No matter what.

The only viable option for playing with tech is if you want to change the gamebalanace. Maybe one player is much better than the other, or you want to give each nation a certain tech at the beginning of the game, just to make it more interesting.

I don’t understand why they havent fixt it yet.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Kreuzfeld:

The techrules in axis and allies are horrible, and always has been. In the old days, if you played with techs and usa rolled a 6 and a 6, on round 1, it was game over. No matter what.

The only viable option for playing with tech is if you want to change the game balanace. Maybe one player is much better than the other, or you want to give each nation a certain tech at the beginning of the game, just to make it more interesting.

Because there’s nothing to “fix”. It’s not broke.  Your opinion that tech options are “horrible” is not shared by me. In the old days of rolling and 6 and another 6 (you’re referring to Heavy Bombers) most certainly did not mean game over. There are ways to counter that. Only inexperienced players would cry foul and throw in the towel when an opponent gained heavy bombers. Tech rules add a level of excitement and challenge to an already great game.

• I have played in the past with a houserule allowing bombers (1942 revised) to transport 1 infantry as paratroopers. If the bomber is shot down with AA, the para dies too. I guess you could modify this to allow strategic bombers in 1940 global to work the same way?

• '17 '16

Some older game versions in TripleA work like that.

• '14 Customizer

We play with tech at our local games.  We use the tokens so that any investment in tech is not completely wasted.  You buy a token and if you don’t roll a 6 you then keep the token for next round.  You can add an buy as many tokens as you want but if you succeed in getting a breakthrough then you discard all the tokens.  Your are limited to one breakthrough per turn.

• @Maddog77:

@Kreuzfeld:

The techrules in axis and allies are horrible, and always has been. In the old days, if you played with techs and usa rolled a 6 and a 6, on round 1, it was game over. No matter what.

The only viable option for playing with tech is if you want to change the game balanace. Maybe one player is much better than the other, or you want to give each nation a certain tech at the beginning of the game, just to make it more interesting.

Because there’s nothing to “fix”. It’s not broke.  Your opinion that tech options are “horrible” is not shared by me. In the old days of rolling and 6 and another 6 (you’re referring to Heavy Bombers) most certainly did not mean game over. There are ways to counter that. Only inexperienced players would cry foul and throw in the towel when an opponent gained heavy bombers. Tech rules add a level of excitement and challenge to an already great game.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of games where your opponent got HBs and you didn’t ended up as wins for your side?

• '15

I don’t know why HBs would even matter.  Your bombers effectively attack on 5 rather than four now.

yay?

• @Shin:

I don’t know why HBs would even matter.  Your bombers effectively attack on 5 rather than four now.

yay?

He’s talking about old heavy bombers. The ones that rolled 2 dice @4 and kept both results. Those were pretty much game over.

• @ColonelCarter:

@Shin:

I don’t know why HBs would even matter.  Your bombers effectively attack on 5 rather than four now.

yay?

He’s talking about old heavy bombers. The ones that rolled 2 dice @4 and kept both results. Those were pretty much game over.

Actually, the Old HB rolled 3 dice and kept ALL of the results. They only changed it to 2 dice in revised edition, and even that where overpowered.
    They also did kept all of the results when stratbombing, AND there where no upper limit on how much damage you could do.

So, effectivly, if you get HB on round 1 with UK. You will build 2 HB as UK for round 1. UK round 2, you will hit germany with 3 HB and 9 dice doing an average of 31.5 IPC of damage (if all bombers get though). That is more or less the entire german economy (which starts at 32) gone from G3 and until the game is over.

So, HB in round 1 and it doesn’t matter if russia falls, bc germany will have zero production for the rest of the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m