• How much strategic value does Brazil have? Sure, it produces three a turn which is nice. But its all the way out there. If it were to be captured, would it be worth taking back? Is it even worth capturing as the Axis?

• 2007 AAR League

It has a good strategic value since it’s within range of Eastern US.

It is definitely worth taking back for the same reason. And it’s worth 3 IPC’s.

It’s only worth capturing by the Axis if you can get to it cheaply. Trying to bullrush your way through the UK and US navies just to get the income will lose you the game.

• I get 1 more inf, you get 1 less inf.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

You can threaten a lotta territories from Brazil, but you usually shouldn’t have a lotta forces there.  It’s too far away from the European front.  It’s like, do you REALLY wanna pull away 2 inf 2 tank from Europe for Brazil?  The moment you run away, US can come in and swipe it right back.

• @newpaintbrush:

I get 1 more inf, you get 1 less inf.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

You can threaten a lotta territories from Brazil, but you usually shouldn’t have a lotta forces there.  It’s too far away from the European front. It’s like, do you REALLY wanna pull away 2 inf 2 tank from Europe for Brazil? The moment you run away, US can come in and swipe it right back.

Ah, but why do you assume Germany takes Brazil?  There’s a C-sub policy paper about SZ42; Japan can hit Brazil (or WUS or other targets for that matter) by T5!  That’s was an eye-opener for me.

• CrazyStraw, I play in the State of Confusion most of the time.  My compliments on your contributions to C-sub.  I particularly enjoy the KJF paper, as I have always been a fan of KJF.  Many of those C-sub papers seem to be uncredited, but I assume you had in hand in writing some or all?

• Huh, doesn’t the KJF paper say “CrazyStraw” right at the top of the first page?  Oh well, I am finding the policy papers very helpful.  Back on topic, I doubt I would ever hit Brazil with Germany unless my opponent were playing very poorly, but I don’t see why I shouldn’t use the SZ42 strategy with one of my Japanese task forces, at least threatening all those various targets.  If I did take Brazil, I would not intend to hold it for long; I would probably send my task force to Africa and cause problems there, just for fun!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Brazil is nice to take because you divert significant assets from America to liberate it and you, more then likely, get it for two rounds.

1 Infantry can usually take the land.  It takes at least 2 infantry to reclaim it, maybe even a battleship or some fighters for added punch then you have the transport lost to move the units there and ships needed to protect the transport.

At the very least, there is the annoyance factor.

• Brazil is the “Last Resort” territory that you take if you ahve a German Fleet in SZ12 that includes a TRN and you have forces to load on it.

Grab EUS first (game winner)
    Grab London (probable game winner)
    Otherwise play havoc with UK and USA and grab WCan if you can.
    If none of those are viable, take Brazil… then run for Africa and the Indian Ocean f you are still alive afterwards.

• I’ve dabbled with building an early IC in Brazil as America.

Since the South Atlantic is generally safe from Axis air/sea power, you can slowly build up a second supply chain into Africa. This frees up your main fleet to deal with Japan or send troops to Europe.

You can build a transport in Brazil, and a tank and an inf to load it, for only $16 IPC. Do that two or three times and Africa shouldn’t be an issue for you. This helps keep Britain in top shape for it’s efforts in Europe, taking pressure off of Russia.

It’s helped more often than it’s hurt.  :-)

• @Aretaku:

I’ve dabbled with building an early IC in Brazil as America.

Since the South Atlantic is generally safe from Axis air/sea power, you can slowly build up a second supply chain into Africa. This frees up your main fleet to deal with Japan or send troops to Europe.

You can build a transport in Brazil, and a tank and an inf to load it, for only $16 IPC. Do that two or three times and Africa shouldn’t be an issue for you. This helps keep Britain in top shape for it’s efforts in Europe, taking pressure off of Russia.

It’s helped more often than it’s hurt.  :-)

Turn 1:  Buy an industrial complex, or buy a transport, tank, and infantry at E. US. (spend 15 vs spend 16)
    Turn 2:  Produce transport/tank/inf at complex at Brazil, or move transport, tank, and infantry from turn 1 to Brazil. (spend 31 vs spend 16)

Note that on turn 2, you could send the transport from E. US to Algeria instead, so you have added momentum.

• 2007 AAR League

To his defence;  it´s usually safer to put troops into central Africa then into Algeria, not to say SZ12 is not a good place to be in with a lightly defended Fleet.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I disagree.  I don’t think it’s a move of desperation at all.  I think it is a strategic maneuver to force the allies to either live without Brazil or divert valuable resources for 2 rounds to go reclaim it.

Obviously, Germany will need to have all of Africa and maybe Madagascar before hitting Brazil from the SW sea zones of Africa, but once it is hit, it’s nothing but gain for Germany.

• @Jennifer:

I think it is a . . . maneuver to force the allies to either live without Brazil or divert valuable resources for 2 rounds to go reclaim it.

Yeah.

• i agree with jennifer.  I never really grab brazil until i have africa under control.  and at that point I use it as a place for bombers to destroy the american fleet or at least harass.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m