• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Kreuzfeld:

the official second edition rulebook is downloadable at
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads

this is where I got my quote from

the rules are written clear as day, and has been excactly like this for every single axis game ever made (at least global variants). I really don’t think they have changed that and this is just a misunderstanding.

Thank you for the link. While I have not looked at the Second Edition book, I can only assume that it is very much like the previous ones in how many loopholes there appear to be. What I would love to see is an expanded rulebook, which details many different scenarios which may occur. Without a rule for every contingency, there is a large amount of confusion, misinterpretation and incorrect playing. This is where the community comes in. One person cannot possibly think up every conceivable situation, so as questions are posted online they can be added to the rulebook, under the relevant categories, as bullet points. It does not need to be very complicated.

Maybe it should just be the rulebook, but one consistently updated with concise answers to common and uncommon questions. Unfortunately, the rulebook as we know it now does not answer everything. I have no idea who would undertake or sanction such a task.

• Sponsor

OK, I believe you guys, I’m not arguing…. I’m adjusting.

• Official Q&A

@Young:

Yes, perhaps…… but deep in the first FAQ thread that is now over 200 pages long, official playtester Krieghund guided me to believe the opposite.

If that’s true, then one of us misunderstood the other.

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

@Young:

Yes, perhaps…… but deep in the first FAQ thread that is now over 200 pages long, official playtester Krieghund guided me to believe the opposite.

If that’s true, then one of us misunderstood the other.

I can appreciate that.

• Official Q&A

@kcdzim:

The only instance where income goes into limbo is if the UK liberates UK territories on the side of the board where a UK capitol has fallen - in which case the UK controls it but cannot collect income as they do not have a collect income phase.  Otherwise SOMEONE will be collecting income on this territory.  This has always been the case, and is not a rule new to 1940.2.

A territory’s income is also in limbo if it is held by its original controller (including if that power recaptures its own territory) while its capital is enemy-held.

• @Krieghund:

@kcdzim:

The only instance where income goes into limbo is if the UK liberates UK territories on the side of the board where a UK capitol has fallen - in which case the UK controls it but cannot collect income as they do not have a collect income phase.�  Otherwise SOMEONE will be collecting income on this territory.�  This has always been the case, and is not a rule new to 1940.2.

A territory’s income is also in limbo if it is held by its original controller (including if that power recaptures its own territory) while its capital is enemy-held.

right right.

• '12

@Young:

Yes, I understand that it has to be taken from enemy hands first.

I can think of countless scenerios where I wouldn’t liberate Paris even if it was handed to the Allies on a silver platter.

That’s fair, and not at all unusual.  I have seen allied players avoid liberating Moscow before, as they did not want to return the factories in Stalingrad and Leningrad to Russia yet.

Thank you all for the clarifications.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

Thank you all for the clarifications.

I second that.

• @Young:

I can think of countless scenerios where I wouldn’t liberate Paris even if it was handed to the Allies on a silver platter.

If the US has Normandy, S.France, and North Africa, it’s a pretty huge advantage keeping that +8 IPCs, (+1 if Italy got French W. Africa and US took it back too).

So you have the US making tanks/planes out of two minor factories in Europe or you liberate Paris, drop US/UK by 8 IPCs, and now you basically “lose” two factories on the mainland and go back to transporting troops across the Atlantic.

Another question here…

If I have British units load onto US transports (in a bridging situation) during the combat move, can they immediately offload? I tried this last round (loading on British combat move) and then I tried to offload during non-combat and the game engine would not allow it, even back into the territory they came from. Can load-offload only be done in combat move, or must offload happen on the turn of the power who controls the transports?

• '12

No.  Load on turn X, unload on X+1 even when bridging.

It may seem strange at first, but it makes sense when you look at this way:  If bridging was allowed on the same turn, 20 American infantry could land in Normandy by bridging from the UK on turn X using their own US transports.  Then on their turn X, the british send over another 20 infantry on the same US transports.  The Anzacs (for some reason) have 8 inf in the UK so they bridge them on their turn.  Then on the French turn they send over their 2 infantry that start the game in the UK. So…10 transports have landed 50 inf in one space in one turn, all before Germany could react.  Impressive, but devastating to the German player. � The need to buy transport by the allies would also drop greatly and that extra money they saved would further imbalance the game by allowing them to buy much more aircraft, etc.

• With the exception of Ftr/Tac, you can basically bet that in a single round each unit cannot be used more than once to move itself or anything else.

In example, the Italians could land their 2 Ftr on a German Carrier on Turn X.  On German Turn X+1, Germany could move that carrier 3 spaces from a NB, and then the Italian’s Turn X+1 could fly those ftr 4 more spaces, effectively moving their ftr 7 spaces in a single round.

You could take it to a further extreme and fly ftr from Japan to the SZ off of DNG and land on a CV there.  The US could sink that CV with just subs, and those ftr could fly 4 more spaces (effectively 9 total spaces) to land on New South Wales or even Burma if you wanted them to.

Its a bit gamey, but it does work.

• @LHoffman:

Another question here…

If I have British units load onto US transports (in a bridging situation) during the combat move, can they immediately offload? I tried this last round (loading on British combat move) and then I tried to offload during non-combat and the game engine would not allow it, even back into the territory they came from. Can load-offload only be done in combat move, or must offload happen on the turn of the power who controls the transports?

In addition to what was already stated by Moralecheck -

While the game engine may sometimes allow it, you are not technically allowed per the game rules to load during the combat phase if those units cannot or will not be used for an amphibious assault during that combat phase.

@kcdzim:

In addition to what was already stated by Moralecheck -

While the game engine may sometimes allow it, you are not technically allowed per the game rules to load during the combat phase if those units cannot or will not be used for an amphibious assault during that combat phase.

Yes, I understand. I was assuming that they could be offloaded at some point that turn, but either way it would have ended up being the same if I loaded them in combat move or non-combat, since they could do nothing either way.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m