• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Say I am the Allies and want to attack Italian ships in SZ 95. There are airbases in both Northern and Southern Italy. There are German and Italian planes in those territories. Can the Italian player scramble both German and Italian planes or only Italian ones?

This is a scenario in a game of TripleA Global ver. Alpha 3, fyi.

Thanks.

• Sponsor

Yes…… Who ever owns the airbases may scramble up to 3 eligible air units per air base, including allied planes with the permission of the controlling player.

@Young:

Yes…… Who ever owns the airbases may scramblight to 3 eligible air units per air base, including allied planes with the permission of the controlling player.

Thank you for the answer. Looks like that attack won’t be happening…

• Sponsor

I’ve always thought of it as a good defence strategy for Italy, if they can afford the $15.

Secondary question then… Can the Allies use the factories in Southern France and Normandy if they hold those territories, but Paris is still under German control?

• yes

they also collects income from them

(assuming germany took normandy/S france, and UK/US/anzak have retaken it)

@Kreuzfeld:

yes

I thought so, but I thought I saw a rule recently that such was not the case. I have always played that way though. Just want to make sure the TripleA engine will allow it.

• Sponsor

@Kreuzfeld:

yes

This is incorrect, Yes…… the allies may use IC compexes on french territories if they have liberated it for a full round, however, Allied nations may never collect the IPC value of original French territories. Only France may collect the IPC value of it’s own territories that are not under Axis controll, and only when their capital is liberated.

@Young:

@Kreuzfeld:

yes

This is incorect, Yes…… the allies may use IC compexes on french territories if they have liberated it for a full round, however, they may not collect the IPC value of original French territories that they have liberated. Only France may collect the IPC value of it’s own territories when they have their capital back.

Understood, which is also as I assumed. I am really only concerned with how the game engine will view my actions.

• @Young:

@Kreuzfeld:

yes

This is incorrect, Yes…… the allies may use IC compexes on french territories if they have liberated it for a full round, however, Allied nations may never collect the IPC value of original French territories. Only France may collect the IPC value of it’s own territories that are not under Axis controll, and only when their capital is liberated.

YG - Unless I’m very much mistaken and this is a new development, you’re incorrect.  Any allied power that controls a french territory while Paris is under axis control can and WILL collect the IPC value of that territory.  Please provide the rule language that would indicate otherwise.

• Sponsor

So by that logic, if London is under Axis control… the Americans can liberate Africa and gain over $100 in income? So if any allied power liberates FIC, they gain $2? I don’t think so, that money is in limbo until Paris is liberated. I’ll look it up and get back.

• its been like that in every single axis game so far

and, do you seriously think the axis will be able to take most of africa after london has fallen, and usa will take back africa before they take back london.

The main way someone can get londons income is that india can retake african terrs and start collecting income

• found the rule in the rulebook

Liberating a Territory
    If you capture a territory that was originally controlled
    by another member of your side, you “liberate” the
    territory. You don’t take control of it; instead, the
    original controller regains the territory and the national
    production level is adjusted. Any industrial complex,
    air base, and/or naval base in that territory reverts to the
    original controller of the territory. A major industrial
    complex that was downgraded to a minor upon capture is
    not automatically upgraded upon liberation—it remains
    minor until the original owner upgrades it.
    If the original controller’s (the power whose territory
    you just liberated) capital is in enemy hands at the end
    of the turn in which you would otherwise have liberated
    the territory, you capture the territory instead. You adjust
    your national production level, and you can use any
    industrial complex, air base, and/or naval base there until
    the original controller’s capital is liberated. The capturing
    player can’t use these newly captured facilities until the
    player’s next turn.

speficly

If the original controller’s (the power whose territory
    you just liberated) capital is in enemy hands at the end
    of the turn in which you would otherwise have liberated
    the territory, you capture the territory instead. You adjust
    your national production level, …

• Sponsor

That must be new in 2nd edition, I have printed quotes from Krieghund saying that income is in limbo until the Capital is liberated. Thanks for the clarification, I’m just stuned right now, it changes how we play.

So, when france is liberated and there are all these American and British tags on their territories… what the hell happens then?

• it was in first edition too.

remember, it is ONLY for liberated terrs, so for US to get income from tunis, italy has to have taken it first, you cannot simply take controll over the french terrs, you need to kick the axis out of said terr before you can collect for it.

so usually you will not get allied income for the french part of subsaharn africa, unless things go really bad for a time and egypt falls.

the main difference between this and how you play is that italy might consider not taking french north africa to deny the allied the potential income from retaking it.

All the UNTAKEN terretories are ofcourse in limbo.

if you read the liberate capitol rule, it states that once the capitol is retaken, all held terretories are reverted. so if us is collecting for normandie, north africa and bordaux, then france gets imidiatly control over those, and US cannot produce in the factories anymore. this is perhaps the main reason you want to wait with taking paris, since you will lose 2 american factories in mainland europe.

@Young:

That must be new in 2nd edition, I have printed quotes from Krieghund saying that income is in limbo until the Capital is liberated. Thanks for the clarification, I’m just stuned right now, it changes how we play.

So, when france is liberated and there are all these American and British tags on their territories… what the hell happens then?

Same, I have heard both sides of this (along with a number of other rules) and never know what to believe. I think what we need is some sort of OFFICIAL electronic rulebook for global, which is added to and revised when needed, but kept very public for anyone to download the latest version. I am sorry but I cannot dog through 50 pages of FAQ to find an answer that may be outdated when I do find it.

Not sure how we can have this done. Perhaps Krieghund can work with one of the moderators to create such a document; which they alone have the power to edit, but addresses the FAQ of the community.

• Sponsor

Yes, I understand that it has to be taken from enemy hands first.

I can think of countless scenerios where I wouldn’t liberate Paris even if it was handed to the Allies on a silver platter.

• the official second edition rulebook is downloadable at
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads

this is where I got my quote from

I also don’t see how krieg could have said excactly what you say he has said. I can imagine he has said that you cannot move say a british inf into a french terr and start to collect income, meaning that the uncaptured terrs are forever in limbo.

the rules are written clear as day, and has been excactly like this for every single axis game ever made (at least global variants). I really don’t think they have changed that and this is just a misunderstanding.

• Sponsor

Yes, perhaps…… but deep in the first FAQ thread that is now over 200 pages long, official playtester Krieghund guided me to believe the opposite… and when my group plays tomorrow, they will be as shocked as I am.

• The only instance where income goes into limbo is if the UK liberates UK territories on the side of the board where a UK capitol has fallen - in which case the UK controls it but cannot collect income as they do not have a collect income phase.  Otherwise SOMEONE will be collecting income on this territory.  This has always been the case, and is not a rule new to 1940.2.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m