• So this year’s melting season has gone 1165 and 754 km3 below the 2010 and 2011 minimums. That’s, how shall I put it? A lot! More than at the time of the last update. Almost double the difference between the 2010 and 2011 minimums. Half the 2007 minimum.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/10/04/950761/an-illustrated-guide-to-2012-record-arctic-sea-ice-melt/

• @Gargantua:

The earth heated up on it’s own and MELTED itself out of a petrified ice age WITHOUT any help from us on several occassions.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-change-little-ice-age-medieval-warm-period.htm

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather/weather_news/recent-cold-spell-is-a-record-breaker

recent-cold-spell-is-a-100-year-record-breaker - Posted in the last 4 hours.

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Vancouver+stormy+summer+pace+record+cold/6778531/story.html

They called it Junuary… coldest summer on record in vancouver…

I suppose we could both do this all day? :P

But it wouldn’t resolve our difference of opinion?

Have you guys seen Van Kilmer in “The Thaw”? An eco-crusader who plans to use a thawed out insect like organism from the past to kill off huge swaths of the population to “save the planet” - what an idiot. I laughed with my whole heart when he died. Definetly not a movie capable of making the 333 list.

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/a-simple-proof-that-the-1930s-were-hotter/

And the 1930’s were warmer than today…

IF someone put together a story and told us that - Now that would make a good movie! :D

Of course, another -soon to be movie- the green peaceniks of the world are secretly pushing governments to start a limited global thermo nuclear war (Between India and Pakistan). Because the resulting nuclear winter will -cool- the earth.

Just make sure you know what road you’re going down Frimmel ;)

This is the article by NASA that appears in National Geographic
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110223-nuclear-war-winter-global-warming-environment-science-climate-change/

YG,

Have you seen Pandorum?  That movie should make this list…

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

YG,

Have you seen Pandorum?  That movie should make this list…

I would never include a movie I have not seen, that said, I’m 100% sure that there are movies out there that belong on my list if I would just give them a look. Maybe this Pandorum is one of them.

It isn’t a perfect film, but with NO hype, NO advertising, and NO expectations, you’ll be quite pleased.  Especially if you like Sci-Fi/horror films.  Or have played Dead Space.

• @Gargantua:

Who are we to be so arrogant to think that we totally control a rock that is mindlessly spinning through the universe at 55,000 mph.

Personally, I think it is equally arrogant (or should I say ignorant) to think we have no impact on our environment when we represent the largest anomaly in the planets natural history.  At no point in our planets history have we seen as significant an amount of change to the planets behavior based on one species presence & actions.  Your reference to the periodic occurrence of Ice Ages represents a fairly weak argument for ignoring climate change as a purely natural re-occurring phenomenon.  I subscribe to the idea that… “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”…and while we may not be 100% sure of just how much our actions are contributing to global climate change, we can be certain that we are having an impact.  Furthermore, preceding Ice Ages were the product of natural events such as super volcanic eruptions spewing volcanic ash into the atmosphere, and meteor impacts… these were catastrophic environmental changes that happened instantly… the fact that our influence is a long process(relative to extinction level events) does not mean its not happening.

Now, whether you believe the content of the movie or more importantly question the motives behind its creators, that is really a completely different discussion.  I however tend to listen to what the scientific community has to say on these matters.  And the vast majority of them tend to say the same thing.  We are contributing to changes in our planets behavior.

Well I won’t deny that if you go outside and fart, that it contributes to climate change and what are scientifically considered as greenhouse gases, that’s a fact.

I will disagree however with humans being -anomlous- to earth.  We’re here arent we? And we’re part of this place.  Regardless of whether you believe in god or not.  How are we as a product of this place/god anomolous?  Do you have any -science- or should I say -scientology- to prove that theory? ;)  After all Prometheus is on this 333 list isn’t it?

And that said if you’re going to start talking about Aliens however, I would consider them anomolous.

And I’m not refering to Ice-ages as much as I’m refering to climate change, and more specifically, Ice age meltings. Not every melt is attributed to some kind of -catastrophic- enviromental event.  Consider the one called the little ice age, they have some -suggested- causes, though they aren’t sure… and they have some -suggested- reasons why it melted though they aren’t sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

For all we know, we’re still melting out from that one.  Because no one can produce any information as to otherwise…

If science is content explaining the last 100 years of climate change as entirely humanities fault (Per your article last posted frimmel).

What explains the trillions of years before that time?  Or is a trillion years of history a weak arguement?

• Sponsor

You have all proven why “An Inconvienent Truth” belongs on my list, with your spirited debate of the topic.

Yes, I love documentaries if they are good…. I just realized that Inside Job is not there.

• @Gargantua:

If science is content explaining the last 100 years of climate change as entirely humanities fault (Per your article last posted frimmel).

What explains the trillions of years before that time?� Or is a trillion years of history a weak arguement?

Okay, so going back on my word. What the climate was like trillions of years ago is largely irrelevant. Human civilization has developed in a very narrow band of climate variation. The amount of carbon humans are putting into the atmosphere is pushing the climate out of that very narrow band.

Think of it this way. What if Texas or Louisiana started having the same climate as Alaska (leaving any climate change variation aside, just what you think of as the climate in Texas versus the climate in Alaska?) Would that not pose a problem? Houses and buildings there aren’t built for the extreme cold. As far as I know there aren’t any snakes in Alaska. Would anything slither in Texas (no politician jokes please) after a couple of Alaska style winters? How about cattle? How would that work out?

What happens if you can’t grow corn in the Midwest? We could still be in cool for the planet on a all of history comparison but to hot to grow corn or wheat couldn’t we?

So the issue is not whether the climate is being pushed to strange places for the planet but for human civilization.

Frimmel lets move this discussion to my other thread.  I’ll quote you and post it over there.

• Sponsor

Sorry all, had to bump this thread for research reasons.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m