• Do you need to actually control the island in the sea zone where the kamikaze symbol is in order to use it?
    Or is it enough with a naval combat if the allies attack Japanesse ships in a kamikaze zone?

Example:

1. Allies own Philippines.
    2. Japan send a destroyer to sea zone 35 outside the island.
    3. USA desides to attack the destroyer with some ships.
    4. Can Japan use kamikaze?

• From Alpha 2 rules

Kamikaze Strike: The capture of certain islands (Iwo Jima, etc.) is no longer required to activate kamikaze - they can be used at any time. If an Allied power attacks Japanese units in or conducts an amphibious assault from a sea zone containing the Kamikaze symbol, the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of the Conduct Combat phase, of that round, that he or she intends to launch a kamikaze strike. (Note: Kamikaze strikes are now triggered by combat, not combat movement.)

• From what I understand, as long as Japan has to roll a die for a unit, it can use any amount of Kamikaze it has remaining.  I’m presuming this would include a Trn with no other ships present as the rule is meant to save time rolling an inevitable, and not avoid combat entirely?

• @Spendo02:

From what I understand, as long as Japan has to roll a die for a unit, it can use any amount of Kamikaze it has remaining.

Through Alpha2, Japan does not have to have any units defending to use kamikazes.

I’m presuming this would include a Trn with no other ships present as the rule is meant to save time rolling an inevitable, and not avoid combat entirely?

No.  If there is an enemy conducting combat in a kamikaze zone (amphibious or naval), Japan can use any number of kamikazes.  Kamikazes target specific ships, but only surface warships (anything but transports or subs).  This is not predicated on the presence of any Japanese units, transports or otherwise.  Pretty sure I have this right - I don’t have the rulebook with me now to confirm.

• Again, I don’t have the rulebook but in Alpha+3.9, I believe the rules are:

1. Japan must have kamikaze tokens
    2. The SZ must have a kamikaze symbol
    3. The SZ must be under attack from surface warships

• Looks like a good summary of the rules to me, techroll - thanks a lot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m