• They can make it back providing they get rid of the Russian ships that are there and pray the Russians don’t build anymore.

The Sealion of the scale only works against Allied players who cannot think of alternatives to make life hell for Germany.

Just my 2 cents…

Doc

• Customizer

Well, all strategies need to be flexible. �

Likely I would go for a turn 6 Russia Rush to Moscow if I saw Russia buy ships R1 instead of doing Sealion. Â

I’d take the path of least resistance.  I’m not stuck on Sealion, but it does tend to win the most games for the Axis around here.

• Totally agreed on Russia.  However, if Germany rolls into UK turn 3, I’m moving my current ships to block a return.  Buying more ships on turn 3 (not a lot).  Just enough to make life a more frustrating.  LOL

With Russia, everything needs to be reactionary.

Doc

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Vance:

Yeah if I saw the allies do this I would forget about any kind of sea lion and go straight for Russia on G2.  Even if UK fails to build a single unit to defend London, the USSR would be an even juicier target because they basically miss out on a whole turns worth of ground units.  So in a sense it does “save” London by offering the Germans an easier meal.

This goes along the lines of:

“I can cure cancer.  See, if you drink this gallon of Liquid Draino then you will not die of cancer!  Of course, you’ll die of poisoning, but I saved you from dying of cancer!!!”

In other words, it does not help if the cure is worse than the symptoms.

@Vance:

I do think it is possible to sink the German fleet, even without Russia’s help (the key is to have landing spots in Scotland and Eireland that Germany can’t take because getting them both would dilute too much from the attack on London).  This airstrike would be a pyrrhic victory though, because without building much of anything on the Pacific side, Japan will soon have Hawaii and then Sydney with a VC win coming rather quickly.  Its like a strategy where each of the allies are competing to make themselves the weakest in order to save the others.  Passive aggressive I guess.

Again, I think there’s a flaw here.  Germany can spend 60 IPC on fleet to stop this attack.  A couple ACs to land fighters on and there is no attack by America - yet if America sets it up, they’ve pulled valuable resources from the Pacific.

2 Carriers gives you 3 total, + BB + CA and let’s toss in a destroyer as well - for grins and giggles, and you can easily have 6 aircraft, 3 carriers, battleship, cruiser, destroyer (and submarines that dont count against air attacks) for a total of 16 hits you can absorb.  I just don’t see America having the firepower to do this - not without completely abandoning the Pacific and if they are doing that (and it should be pretty self evident by round 2) why isn’t Japan staging an invasion of Alaska/Hawaii with future landings in W. USA?

• OR once America has set it up, if Germany spends all that cash USA could just call it off and send the carriers out to Panama and the bombers to Western US (unless Japan has gone for India instead of Hawaii/Sydney).  Germany spending money like that would be even more stupid than the Russian navy and the American bombers.  Yet another case of curing the cancer with the Drano.  With all these strategies (Mega sea lion, Soviet navy, USA airstrike, Germany mega carrier fleet), you may win the battle but lose the war.

• I don’t see much value in the 70 IPC of Trn once you take London and get your offensive units back on mainland Europe.

Spending resources to address their protection seems less efficient than boots on the ground pushing back the Russian advance.

• Customizer

Those TTs from sz112 go to sz127 and can drop off in Arc that is 2 spaces away from Moscow.  That’s 26 units.  I would not call that useless.  Units built in Wge get funnelled to the front 1- 2 turns faster than if they walked.  That makes up for having bought the TTs in the first place.

• Or a few of them could drop a small force in Morocco that eventually makes its way toward Cairo.

• Customizer

I had that done to me once.  Completey screwed up my India defense.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Spendo02:

I don’t see much value in the 70 IPC of Trn once you take London and get your offensive units back on mainland Europe.Â

Spending resources to address their protection seems less efficient than boots on the ground pushing back the Russian advance.

5 Transports and the fleet stay in the Baltic Sea - now you can ferry your infantry/artillery builds directly into Novgorod each round (+13 units a round in Novgorod - there’s not a snowball’s chance in hell Russia is getting it back - ever.)
    5 Transports go down to Gibraltar - land in Morocco and join with large Italian fleet - which will probably exist unless England went no defense for England - and take Brazil, Africa, W. Indies and then slide the rest down around the Cape for Madagascar.

There’s a lot of things you can use the transports for.  You could use them to set up a train service to Arkhangelsk through the Arctic Ocean and the other half to shuttle troops from Berlin.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m