• Global +3 is pretty well balanced from my experiences playing it tableside.

Whats the confusion over scramble?

I disagree with Jennifer’s conclusions.  There’s a lot of room for strategic maneuver and thinking… I find it difficult to believe that your rapid fire forums games versus single opponents explores every tactical possibility.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@valtteri771:

Does it work well if I play only the pacific with alpha 3+ rules and setups but with pacific NOs

No.  Still crush India round 3 - probably can do it better now that you don’t have Germany throwing a monkey wrench in the game by opening the door to America a half turn early.

• I’m finaly getting my head around this. I take back what I said about scrambling. It makes perfect sense now. A  couple of points.

1. The game is very long. I belive the game  would go faster if  the start date was moved back a few weeks to after the fall of france in mid June. Combine italy and germany into one power. Combine UK and ANZAC. Combine US/China

2. Too much stuff on the board. Lose the NO’s Maybe bring back production limits.

I think Larry did a good job on the rules. Just a little hard to sort out for a first time global player.  I guess he felt he needed to keep all the stuff that got added in over the years. Honestly I think it would be a better game if it was streamlined a bit. You can have too much of a good thing.  5 players is plenty for this game so there’s really no need for all the minor powers to be seperate.  The map provides plenty of objectives. There is no need to add written objectives that must be checked every turn.  Just my 2 cents.

• Customizer

@cyscott1:

I’m finaly getting my head around this. I take back what I said about scrambling. It makes perfect sense now. A  couple of points.

1. The game is very long. I belive the game  would go faster if  the start date was moved back a few weeks to after the fall of france in mid June. Combine italy and germany into one power. Combine UK and ANZAC. Combine US/China

2. Too much stuff on the board. Lose the NO’s Maybe bring back production limits.

I think Larry did a good job on the rules. Just a little hard to sort out for a first time global player.  I guess he felt he needed to keep all the stuff that got added in over the years. Honestly I think it would be a better game if it was streamlined a bit. You can have too much of a good thing.  5 players is plenty for this game so there’s really no need for all the minor powers to be seperate.  The map provides plenty of objectives. There is no need to add written objectives that must be checked every turn.  Just my 2 cents.

Other than the scrambling, you’ve described A&A 1942.  Have you tried that edition?

• @Viracocha:

@cyscott1:

I’m finaly getting my head around this. I take back what I said about scrambling. It makes perfect sense now. A  couple of points.

Other than the scrambling, you’ve described A&A 1942.  Have you tried that edition?

No I haven’t tried it. I love the giant map in 1940 I’ll keep playing this for a while. It may get faster as time goes by.

• Customizer

Well, the 1942 map is quite a bit smaller so in that respect you’ll be frustrated, but I believe HBG sells those unit markers/placards as a work-around.

• I love Alpha 3, thanks so much for the hard work.

Just some feedback,

I love the new AA rules.  As well as the strengthening of Germany and calming of Japan.

Bear in mind between my friend and I, he is the stronger player, he played axis against me as allies both times and always attacks J1 on all Allies except Russia.  We played with a house rule that Japan or Russia gives 12 IPC bonus to the enemy when they attack each other.  We never play a game where japan attacks on a later turn, so just accept this as a critique in the event that Japan begins fighting and Germany waits till GR2 to attack the Soviets.

After game 1 we had UK invaded by GR turn 2, London fell, game over.
    The second game I played much better as the allies in both Africa, the middle east and the pacific holding india till turn 4.
    At this point though, I really feel that assuming the axis strike fast, the  allies don’t get enough bonuses/and or income for our style of play.  The US having only minor factories really slows you down and England can do little other than build inf to defend London.  at turn 4 Germany is at the gates of Moscow with 18 tanks and japan has gobbled up most of its land it needs and is ready to defend and receiving 55-10 ipc per turn making it a really tough win for the allies.

Again, I will continue using this setup because I love it, and will incorporate strategy, but I would perhaps like to balance it out with an additional bonus for the UK, for India especially, and for the Soviets and Americans.  I think that the Americans could get a bonus for having a land unit in the Solomon, or maybe new guinea, and maybe a +5 for Hawaii.  Thoughts?

• @Cmdr:

@Larry:

The target is considered inoperable if it receives any hits. It can be repaired by paying 1 IPC for the removal of each chip. This is done during the players next Purchase & Repair phase 1.
    The maximum damage a major IC can receive is 20 damage markers. Minor ICs and bases can’t receive more than 6 damage markers each.

Unless something changes, this is the current discussion on SBR damage.  In effect, 1 IPC damage to an industrial complex or base renders the entire facility unusable until it has been repaired.  If you cannot afford or choose not to repair an industrial complex or base, then it remains unusable.

@Larry:

Also being considered:
    Major industrial complexes can mobilize up to 10 units per turn minus the number of damage markers they have. For example a major IC with 6 damage markers can produce only 4 units. A major IC can only receive up to 20 damage markers, after that they are no longer assigned. A major IC with 20 damage markers would have to remove 11 of them before it could build 1 new unit.

This was added later after pressure was brought to bear by the community.

Has this been changed at all or are current Alpha 3 rules that you can’t build anything while any damage is present on an IC?

I believe the change to all off or all on (any damage = no use) was never implemented.

• @Cmdr:

I believe the change to all off or all on (any damage = no use) was never implemented.

So the rule is still the same as AA50 and AA42 with damage decreases production?  So a major IC with 2 damage can still produce 8 units without repairs, correct?

Correct

• What about for Air and Naval bases? I’d like to see an all on or all off rule for those.

• So in summation:

Alpha +3: Axis Round 3 crush London + Crush Calcutta (not difficult to accomplish) = Axis win

However: IF either of these attempts fails, or for some reason not attempted, then its gloom and doom for the Axis.

Seems pretty absurd.

One thing i have found is that Italy will be completely crushed in both Africa and the med (And sometimes by their 3rd turn). So what does Italy do? Push on USSR? Defend Europe? (How boring lol) Italy’s NO’s are pointless to even think about as they will NEVER GET THEM.

UK needs to be one power, and Italy’s turn needs to be BEFORE UK’s.

And death to moronic USSR NOs.

• Um…regarding Sealion+India Crush.

When that’s done USSR will be able to go after Germany, and if they advance on Germany the NO’s really help.

US will also be ready to crush whoever is closer to victory.

Also, if you play the game out further the allies have a better chance when Sealion is attempted.

• Germany will be so filthy rich they will have no problem with USSR and as big as USA is it would be nothing short of a miracle for them to take on Japan and Germany virtualy alone and win….

However…

See alpha +3.9 (released yesterday :D) USSR NO is fixed, and the allies received a buff in regards to stopping sealion and crush calcutta.

Now the problem is… HOW DO THE AXIS WIN ?

• OK sorry to sound stupider than I am, but where is 3.9 posted? Is it here?

IIRC I saw a thread with it but could you direct me to that?

• Sorry it will not let me post links :P

Go to Harris Game Design .com

In the forum under A&A Global 1940, its posted in the thread “Sea lion in alpha +3” page 86…. scroll down

Krieghund lead the charge for this i believe

enjoy

• Can anyone tell me where I can find a PDF of the latest Alpha version incorporated into the existing rulebook? If it’s not yet there does anyone know when it will be?

• It’ll go there in the reprint.

• @techroll42:

It’ll go there in the reprint.

OK, so I’ll have to buy an extra copy just to get the latest rules!!! That doesn’t really sound very reasonable…

They won’t be posted anywhere online???

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m