• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

I will have the Olive color Marine sets on Friday.
    Got them in, shade is incorrect! I have contacted the factory to get corrections.
    What do you think?
    US marines-olive.JPG

• Customizer

Then it looks like I will be making ANOTHER order this Friday.

• '10

@coachofmany:

I will have the Olive color Marine sets on Friday.

Can someone fill me in on why Coach is making olive colored Marines? I thought that is the color of the OOB Army units.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

For those that want a Marine or elite unit without having 2 colors for USA pieces.

• '10

@Variable:

For those that want a Marine or elite unit without having 2 colors for USA pieces.

Why would anyone not want his Marine units to be a seperate shade of green. That would be terrible to not be able tell a Marine from a dogface.

• Customizer

Another reason is that when FMG comes out with their USA set, the color will be the same as their Combat Dice, which is about the same color as the dark green Marine pieces.  So, coach is coming out with olive drab Marines that you can use with FMG’s USA Combat Units so then your Marines will still be different color from your regular USA units.  This is for those that plan to ONLY use the FMG and HBG units and not use the OOB units anymore.

• '14

Hey coach. I think the color will be fine. Especially if you continue in with other US sets! What does everyone else think?

I know Coach. He won’t be happy unless he nails the color at least as close as the Marines. Computer pics can be deceiving either way so I leave it up to his judgement. Looks okay from here though.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

I am going to put the Olive Marines for $4.95.
    You can use them as they are or some can paint them .
    I am not happy with color but it is useable.
    I just want to be able to recover the money spent, and lessons learned on my part.
    I will redo the color in a few months if the demand is still there.

• Customizer

I dunno, they look okay to me.  I guess the shade is just a little lighter than the OOB olive and the gun barrels on the Sherman are a little weird (almost white).  Some of the OOB pieces kind  of looked like that, I think they were from old copies of Pacific.  Overall, I think your olive pieces look pretty good.  I don’t mind so much if they are a little off on shading and I could get used to the light barrels.

• Gents, here is what Corsairs where used for and by whom:

The U.S. Navy did not get into combat with the type until September 1943 and the Royal Navy’s FAA would qualify the type for carrier operations first. The U.S. Navy finally accepted the F4U for shipboard operations in April 1944, after the longer oleo strut was fitted, which finally eliminated the tendency to bounce.[39] The first Corsair unit to be based effectively on a carrier was the pioneer USMC squadron, VMF-124, which joined Essex. They were accompanied by VMF-213. The increasing need for fighter protection against kamikaze attacks resulted in more Corsair units being moved to carriers.[40]  Despite the decision to issue the F4U to Marine Corps units, two Navy units, VF-12 (October 1942) and later VF-17 (April 1943) were equipped with the F4U. By April 1943, VF-12 had successfully completed deck landing qualification.[36] However, VF-12 soon abandoned its aircraft to the Marines. VF-17 kept its Corsairs, but was removed from its carrier, USS Bunker Hill, due to perceived difficulties in supplying parts at sea.[37] In November 1943, while operating as a shore-based unit in the Solomon Islands, VF-17 reinstalled the tail hooks so its F4Us could land and refuel while providing top cover over the task force participating in the carrier raid on Rabaul. The squadron’s pilots landed, refueled, and took off from their former home, Bunker Hill and the USS Essex on 11 November 1943.[38]

So you can use the them for Marines, USN and Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm.  If you want to paint them USMC were a dark sea blue with MARINES on the fuselage, US Navy Corsairs same color just said NAVY on the side.  RN light Blue with RN roundel.  So Coach’s bad color Marines wont go to waste.  Buy them and paint them up.

I planned to get some anyway to paint up and replace my OOB Guadalcanal pieces that I painted. It would be better to have Marines look like Marines…

• is that not the color of the AAE40 italians  :? :?

• Customizer

Italians are brown, not olive.

• Indeed to me it looks like the Italians too.

Does anyone else see that?

• Customizer

Oh, I see what you are looking at.  I think it’s just bad lighting in the photo.  I got some of the olive drab Marines and they are definitely olive, a little darker/duller than OOB US pieces.

• Customizer

Any chance we could get some better pictures that show the real color difference?

• @coachofmany:

I just want to be able to recover the money spent, and lessons learned on my part.

Do you only advertise here on A&A.org ?

Maybe if you go heavy in the other places too, like Boardgamegeek, Larrys game design, tripple AAA, the official AH boards, Flames of Europe, AA World Club, The Struggle etc etc you will reach more customers. If you sell more pieces worldwide it will benefit all of us, even if you sell to people that is not A&A.org members.

I am gonna buy everything you make for sure, will place a new order next week. My first order got messed up because my VISA was short of cash, in case you wonder. I’ll be back.

• Customizer

@Bob_A_Mickelson:

Any chance we could get some better pictures that show the real color difference?

Here are a couple that I think have good lighting.  First a few HBG Olive Drab Marines next to OOB US pieces.  Second with some of the dark green Marines from HBG.

DSC03624.JPG
    DSC03625.JPG

• Customizer

Thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m