• Customizer

I’m looking into making G4 hurt or defeat as well.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

G4 can hurt, but I am not really certain it can be stopped.

Why?

Because on Round 3 you can land 26 ground units in Scotland (or 25 and an AA Gun to dissuade ambitious British field commanders) and on Round 4 utilize 11 aircraft, 2 shore bombardments and 52 ground units.  I just don’t see England having the manpower to stop that, even with full investments. (3 rounds of full investments ~ 85-90 IPC worth of units)

• I’m not sold on the Scotland move.  I like it, but that’s because I don’t play vs myself.:)  In this instance, moving to take Scotland means the UK can build something like 2 carriers, place them in the English Channel along with the fleet of Gib, and now your trns in 113 cannot reach UK.  Otherwise can’t UK attack your trns even if they are defended by 6 aircraft, thereby canceling the invasion.

**Edit: what’s on the German carrier?  What are UK’s odds on a strike on those ships?

• I hate when work gets in the way of my gaming

• I like the Scotland drop strategy, but I do question the specifics of it in parts -

Are we saying landing on G2 in conjunction with the large TT purchase?
    If so -
    we place the TTs in 113
    then do we purchase maybe a DD to protect them along with the scramble?
    or do we split the German navy a little to accomplish this as well?

Like putting the CA in 113.
    1 BB, 1 CV, 2 Fig is enough to protect the 3 original TT from 3-4 Fig, which is all that can hit them.
    As the 92 stack can’t hit the German navy in 111.

Also, 1 CA, 3 scrambled Fig wins against 4 UK fig at 62%.

So this adds up.

Another topic -
    Do we purchase the complete 10 TT on G2 to achieve a total of 13 TT?
    Or less, along with a supporting land buy?

Then-
    Do we actually hit Scotland on G2 to reinforce on G3,
    or do we simply hit Scotland on G3?
    This would lower the force in Scoland by 5-6 troops (depending on AA gun drop)

Possibility:
    We could hit Scotland on G2, and not purchase the full 10 TT.
    But then we reinforce Scotland on G3 to make up for whatever fewer TT we did not buy.
    I think, then, we could get away with not buying 10 TT, and make up the difference with that initial G2 Scotland invasion.
    Thoughts?

• The dd build should be sufficient, along with 3 scrambling ftrs to dissuade UK from hitting sz113.  However a UK naval build will block the movement of those trns to London.  If they are built in 112 they cannot be blocked.  I think hitting Scotland is a mistake here, but I will wait for input from others first.

***EDIT:
    provided there is no move to Scotland, Germany then would not need to build the dd, getting 10 trns instead.  This means they can hit london G3 with 13 trn loads, or 13 inf, 5 art 8 arm plus remaining aircraft.  Thats against, as best as I see it- 24 inf, 1 arm 6 ftrs 1 tac aa.  I reached 24inf by adding 2 frenchies from Africa and 1 inf Egypt 1 inf Malta.  the numbers in that dskelly site reveal:

18.5% clears
    68.6% attacker
    12.9% defender (these numbers reflect Germ attacking with 5 ftr 5 tac 1 lvl)

Of course we don’t know the OOL for that site, so those numbers don’t really mean that much, however most ties will go to the attacker because they will leave 1 arm to capture.  Thats a decent chance at a G3 sealion, what am I missing?

• @jim010:

I’m looking into making G4 hurt or defeat as well.

My playing partner and I have been thinking about this also.  I tentatively agree with Jen that I don’t really think a G4 Sealion can be stopped.  So, one of the proposals we had was to sink the German fleet after Sealion.  The jest of the plan is that Russia buys enough naval units (for sz 127) to take a territory that US bombers could land on.  On R4, they could take Norway, Scotland, even Eire could be a valid landing zone.  US buys bombers to a varying degree on US1, 2, or 3 and then on US4, bam sink the German fleet.  Would it cripple Germany?  Probably not, but it sure the hell would reduce its flexability!

Could Germany stop Russia from taking these territories?  I don’t know.  If they had to defend all those territories or contend with a Russian fleet and US bombers, would that change the Sealion calculus?  Heck, if there was a possibility of losing its fleet, would Germany abandon Sealion?  I don’t know.  I am posing more questions than I have answers to.

Edit:  Of course this only applies to a G4 Sealion.  If Germany does a G3, then all bets are off since Russia and the US can’t do anything to the German fleet.

• This is just a statement of my opinion, but I personally dislike a G3 Sealion attack when the UK tries to do a max defend.  I hate playing for a few hours and then having an iffy battle (yes, I consider a battle that the Germans only have a ~70% chance of winning to be iffy) where they lose three out of ten times and then quit the game because the Axis “lost” already.  I just think it is poor gamesmanship to play that far for a battle with those odds and walk away when you lose. :x

• Customizer

I’ll be back

• @jim010:

I’ll be back

Great.  As long as you are getting up, please bring a brewski back for me.  :-D

• make sure you get the borders full of destroyers to block german sumberines

• @450thMSAF:

make sure you get the borders full of destroyers to block german sumberines

Er what?  :lol:

• Customizer

I’d like to start a new thread.

• the sea around the island must be full of destoyers to block off german sumberines

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m