Re: Scale of naval pieces and other companies that make pieces

• When can i do the German pre-order?

• Customizer

Jeremy said that he won’t do a pre-order for Germany until they have the Italians and are shipping them to the customers.

• Just took another look at the German infantry in the greatcoat. God I wish that was in next set. Can’t wait for the Italians.

• @KOOLHOVEN:

Sorry for the delay.Most of my 1/3000 is Navwar.Davco(Skytrex) is roughly the same.There is a smaller firm that has lots of minor ships that even Navwar don’t carry,but they are sold by Stronghold which isn’t trading at the moment.The old Trafalgar range is being produced by MY Miniatures.These are some old molds but Mick is getting these right.He has a lot of newer things that are great and will nor be made by anyone else.The Soviet WW2 hybrid BB/CV,also WW2 hybrids thet were proposed by several other nations.The jewel of 1/3000 scale is Denian Models.Ian only does moderns,but they are great.Sadly,Denian is a one man show and can be as hard to deal with as Navwar.But Navwar gets my support,if you need a WW2 Swedish fleet pack(I have 3),you can only get it from Navwar.
    I have a few 1/4800/1/6000,but they are a little too small.But MY does a solid range of these.They are nothing like C+C,but Micks  latest/newest  are nice.His mini of the Rex
    liner as a CV is a beauty.These are 1/4800 by the way.In 1/6000,Afrodri on Shapeways
    makes 6-7 moderns.Due to no one making the latest air warfare DDGs in 1/3000,I bought a bunch of his Arsenal ships to fill in as proixes.These fit in well in 1/3000,as they are roughly the size of a Burke class DDG,but are super stealthy and have about 60-70 well define silos.

Well, that was helpful as a source for more ship-tips, thanks, Kool!  One of these days maybe I’ll finish up my NAVWAR/ Skytrex collection, if I can just find a good dealer that will take paypal…I don’t know that they’re the “answer”, though, as metals are just harder to work with…

• @knp7765:

For anyone that is interested, I did a little research and computations and came up with fairly accurate scales for the WOTC ships.  They are pretty much all over the place with only two being the same– The US and Japanese carriers.  Interesting note on the carriers, all of the game piece carriers are the exact same length:  64mm.  The other warships vary, but the carriers are the same.  I wonder if that was on purpose.
    I only did measurments for battleships, carriers, cruisers and destroyers for USA, UK, Germany and Japan.  Except for the Russian BB, CA and DD, all the other pieces are shared anyway.
    BATTLESHIPS
    USA = Iowa  1/4433
    UK = Royal Oak  1/3259
    Germany = Bismarck  1/4048
    Japan = Yamato  1/4458
    AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
    USA = Wasp  1/4156
    UK = Illustrious  1/3542
    Germany = Graf Zepplin  1/4102
    Japan = Shinano  1/4156
    CRUISERS
    USA = Portland  1/3720
    UK = Kent  1/3840
    Germany = Hipper  1/4009
    Japan = Takao  1/3773
    DESTROYERS
    USA = Johnston  1/2440
    UK = Same as USA
    Germany = Zerstorer 1934  1/2380
    Japan = Fubuki  1/2519

Notice that the destroyer scales are almost half that of the battleships and carriers.  Imagine how tiny the destroyers would have to be if they were the same scale as the battleships.

Yeah, these are all roughly the same guesstimates that I came up with.  Interestingly, it makes those Panzerschiffe small ships (like DD’s) all almost perfect.  When you put BB’s & CC’s in the same scale, though, they get way too big, unless you have a much larger map to work  with.  Someday maybe I’ll go ahead and do just that and build my own perfect Panzerschiffe fleet to go with it…  someday when the economy improves…

• Customizer

The Panzerschiffe ships are 1/2400, right?  Are you thinking of designing a map to handle those ships?  Man, it would have to be HUGE!  Probably twice the size of the current A&A Global 1940 map.  If you could get a map that big though, and space to actually play on it, you could put as many units on there as you like, even in Europe.  You would never have to use chips.

• @knp7765:

The Panzerschiffe ships are 1/2400, right?  Are you thinking of designing a map to handle those ships?  Man, it would have to be HUGE!  Probably twice the size of the current A&A Global 1940 map.  If you could get a map that big though, and space to actually play on it, you could put as many units on there as you like, even in Europe.  You would never have to use chips.

They’re big, but they’re not THAT big… twice the length of the OOB big ships, give or take.  I think the TWG board could handle it, though I’m not quite sold on that board’s layout.  I think some of IL’s boards could handle it too… I have yet to find a board I see as quite “perfect” for the project, though.  To have a board worthy of building the “ultimate navy” to play on it, I’d want to get all the key Pacific Island chains in the right places (i.e., Marshalls, Mariana’s, Carolines, Solomons, etc.)  Bottom line, though, is that the whole project is on hold right now for, shall we say, economic reasons…

• '10

Not that this thread is not already a monster and hard to follow…  But I think this discussion of NON FMG product should be elsewhere?  Just a tad off topic for the last four pages?

• Customizer

@FieldMarshalGames:

Not that this thread is not already a monster and hard to follow…  But I think this discussion of NON FMG product should be elsewhere?  Just a tad off topic for the last four pages?

I second the motion.

• fixed

• I choose 1/4800 for most of my naval pieces because is cheper and its save space on the gameboard
    but I for the look……I have to admit that 1/2400 is better.

• I took a careful look at the Global War 1939 board that Coach is selling over on his new site… and I bought it!  I think it might be my favorite board that I’ve yet seen, and it might be big enough to combine with a complete Panzerschiffe navy.  When it arrives, I’ll break out my Panzerschiffes and check for compatibility.  If it works and if no one out there seems to have a more full naval line-up by this summer, I’ll probably start gradually working on adding to and painting my Panzerschiffes to create my ultimate navy.  Meanwhile, I’m going to wait and see what sort of piece sets are available by then between Coach, FMG, & TT before pulling the trigger…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m