"Roll of the Caissons" 1942 Montage Video

• Here’s a fun little 1942-vintage video to which a friend of mine sent me the link.  It features a nicely sung performance of “The Roll of the Caissons”, along with a montage of U.S. Army training maneuvers which, for the most part, enthusiastically showcase the mobility of its armoured and motorized forces.  The tanks and armoured cars look obsolescent by 1942 standards, but that only adds to the charm of the movie.  Ironically, given that the song is about the field artillery, the biggest guns shown are coastal artillery pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auu7pQWODaI

• '17 '16

Cool!  Go Army!    Those were the days.    “Let’s all sing along”  A person doesn’t see that kind of stuff anymore. The Office of Emergency Management of yesteryear sure operated a bit different differently than the Homeland Security of today in regards to information to the public. Get’s me kinda in the mood to beat the Russians into the Ukraine.

• @General:

Cool!  Go Army!     Those were the days.    "Let’s all sing along"  A person doesn’t see that kind of stuff anymore. The Office of Emergency Management of yesteryear sure operated a bit different differently than the Homeland Security of today in regards to information to the public. Get’s me kinda in the mood to beat the Russians into the Ukraine.

Yes, I love the almost boyish enthusiasm in this video.  It’s made in a similar spirit to those G.I. Joe action figure commercials from the early 1960s, which actually used new lyrics set to the same tune (“G.I. Joe, G.I. Joe, fighting man from head to toe…”).

Some of the armoured / motorized maneuvers in the Caissons video remind me of the tank and bouncing-jeep sequence (set to the tune of “You’re in the Army Now”) found near the end of the classic WWII cartoon “War Dogs” :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMt8DJJg7bc

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m