• Jim - did you like the alpha scenario?

• to throw my two cents in…  IF they reprint these games, and there is no guarantee of that, they’d likely put in the changes, as they’d send us less pieces and charge the same amount.

Personally, for the Pacific map, the alpha setup seems to bring balance closer, though it removes too many of the Jap teeth IMO, and for world, makes the Axis even less likely to win.  Though the G40 was closer to balance anyhow to start with…  alas…

• Customizer

Just looked.

That is NOT the FAQ Wizards released about Pacific after they took over.  Nice to see that I am wrong.  Unless these changes are not included in subsequent runs of the game.

Found this:

Can defending submarines submerge before the attacker attacks?
    No. The only time subs can submerge is right before they roll the dice for their attacks. The attacker always gets to roll his attacks first, so defending subs can’t avoid the first round of combat. Attacking subs, however, can move into a sea zone and immediately submerge (this is called sub-stalling – for an in-depth analysis of this essential tactic, see James Redford’s Explanation of Sub-Stalling essay).

He lives a few blocks from me.  Small world.

• TripleA '12

It is my hope that AAP40 is reprinted with a corrected board, corrected manual & setp up cards with the new and final set up, a decent number of Japanese Tac Bombers, a battle board/strip. I think that about covers it. Did I miss anything? Like I said, I am hoping.  :|

• PAPER IPCS!!!

• I actually like not having paper IPC’s. I found that keeping track of production that way was susceptible to error. For example, you would forget to grab your money, you would lose an IPC here and there or pick an extra one up. With writing everything down it is easy to track how much each country is making, and also it is interesting to see the record of each individual nation.

If you really want paper IPC’s… just grab them from an older game.

• @Admiral:

I actually like not having paper IPC’s. I found that keeping track of production that way was susceptible to error. For example, you would forget to grab your money, you would lose an IPC here and there or pick an extra one up. With writing everything down it is easy to track how much each country is making, and also it is interesting to see the record of each individual nation.

If you really want paper IPC’s… just grab them from an older game.

Or WotC can include them in the box and if you don’t want to use the paper IPCs then you don’t have to use them. We should be given a choice like the other games up to AA50.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@jim010:

Will Larry’s changes be the same deal, or does he actually have a say in how the game develops even after he hands it over to Avalonhill?

Larry has said that he will “lobby” for the changes we are making to be included in further print runs of the game.

I hope Alpha or some variation of it makes it.

• Customizer

He will lobby?  So he does not have a hand in deciding this?

Has anyone bought a copy of the first AA Pacific?  Does the game include the revised set-up and rules about substalling?  Or is the buyer still getting the original rules and set-up - and is required to figure out for himself that he must go to the website to get the right one?  Assuming he knows there is an alternate and correct set-up?

• Customizer

Jim - did you like the alpha scenario?

I lost interest in AAP40.  I played a few times.  I was working on a tactic where Japan takes Haw on turn 1, New Zealand turn 2 and then Sydney turn 3.  I think I saw that others were thinking along the same lines.  I just haven’t revisited the game.  Playing global right now with Alpha, though.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@jim010:

He will lobby?  So he does not have a hand in deciding this?

From what I understand, Larry is the creative mind behind AA but it is WOTC that puts up the money and capital to print and distribute the game. He is essentially contracted by WOTC (or otherwise sells his idea) and they take it and run with it.

Obviously he has significant influence on the final product but because he doesnt own the company that’s making all the profit he doesn’t make the final call.

I’m sure if Larry had his way we would have paper money… and maybe some variation of Alpha.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m