• We played last night with Larry Harris’s latest setup that removes planes from both sides and makes some other changes in the setup. My conclusion is that Japan still has too many planes (I played Japan). It was just too easy to run over everything.

First turn Japan moved its 2 transports south towards India and built a naval base in Kwangsi that was however not needed as access to India was blocked by allied ships. Most of the aircraft was based in Kwangsi as well.

Second turn Japan attacked various targets (mostly ships) all around Pacific. An airbase was built in Kwangsi to extend the range of Japanese planes based there. US took Carolines for the price of a transport.

Third turn India was almost completely blockaded. Major factory was built in Malay. Forgot to defend the factory however, so British took it, and again on the next turn.

The US however lost its fleet on turn 4 (to Japanese air force and some ships) when it moved it opportunistically to the Carolines on turn 3. That sealed the victory for the Japanese as US was basically out of the game (as were ANZAC and the British from the start) so Japan kept taking everything but the victory cities and went to 72 IPC. US was still at 55 and really had no chance against huge amount of ships and planes that Japan still had.

But even without the move to Carolines, I don’t see how US could have stopped Japan. Well, next game I’ll have to play the allies, hopefully I’ll figure something out then ;)

• Official Q&A

Welcome, ikaros!

Thanks for helping with this effort!  If you would, please post your results and observations in the playtesting thread on Larry’s site so that he can review them and take them into account.  You may also wish to review other people’s ideas and suggestions there and comment on them.

• Has anybody played it where Japan just attacks on J3 and not changed anything?  What happens in these games?

• Official Q&A

By all accounts, J2 and J3 attacks are balanced with the FAQ setup.

• @Krieghund:

Thats good to hear Krieghund. Would that still apply for Global as well or would the new test setup by Larry be needed for Global if Japan waited until J2 or J3?

• @skinny1:

@Krieghund:

Thats good to hear Krieghund. Would that still apply for Global as well or would the new test setup by Larry be needed for Global if Japan waited until J2 or J3?

They’re trying to make setup changes that leave a J2 and J3 balanced while also leaving the global game balanced. Obviously, this is not a simple task

• Official Q&A

Global seems balanced with the FAQ setup at this time.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Krieg,

Is there anywhere that revised setups are listed concisely? I have looked through these threads but not found what I am searching for.

I was under the impression that there was an Official revision which included some altering of Naval Bases and ICs in NZ/Australia… Is this accurate? If so can you please list them here when you have the time.

I am not talking about the proposed “revised setups” which seem to be incorporating widespread changes… just the Australia NZ one, and if there was anything that went with that.

Thanks.

• @Krieghund:

Global seems balanced with the FAQ setup at this time.

The FAQ set up you are referring to is the one for AAP40, correct?

• Official Q&A

@LHoffman:

I was under the impression that there was an Official revision which included some altering of Naval Bases and ICs in NZ/Australia… Is this accurate? If so can you please list them here when you have the time.

Add an airbase and a naval base to the Philippines, remove the minor industrial complex from New Zealand, and replace the major industrial complex in New South Wales with a minor one.

@skinny1:

Yes.

• @Krieghund:

@LHoffman:

Add an airbase and a naval base to the Philippines, remove the minor industrial complex from New Zealand, and replace the major industrial complex in New South Wales with a minor one.

@skinny1:

Yes.

Ok, thanks Krieghund.

• '22 '19 '18

I know this is late in the conversation, but instead of making all of these changes to balance J1 and if J2 and J3 are balanced why not just make the rule that Japan cannot attack J1???

• @cond1024:

I know this is late in the conversation, but instead of making all of these changes to balance J1 and if J2 and J3 are balanced why not just make the rule that Japan cannot attack J1???

Because that would remove an option from the game, something that goes against the spirit of the game

• If changes were made official,how long would it take to trickle into a reprint? I have not bought the game yet and am trying to time things well

• oh they’ll go out of print and be onto the next incarnation of the game by then…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m