I will be playing AAP40 for the second time this weekend, i have a couple ?'s

• I’m new to this forum so if i do something noobish feel free to flame, just let me know what to do differently  8-)

(Assume all player skills are more than competent in strategy and history, but not well versed in A&A per se)

Background: 1st game was before i knew about this wonderful place and found the rule corrections.

1. I was Japan and had a horrible time eliminating China/closing the Burma Road, and India took longer than Australia did.  I built IC’s in china and was making progress but I was bleeding terribly.  What’s the best way to push through China quickly?

2. I ended up loosing because I didn’t realize Japan was in 1 turn striking distance from Hawaii and lost because my cousin took Japan in a US all out massive attack as i went for broke on the 6th city. How can a prevent this from happening again short of tall stacking inf on mainland Japan?

3. Is it best to play with 3 or 4 people? 3 seemed the most fun. 1 U.S., 1 Japan, 1 everything else

4. Is it a bad strategy for Japan to try a Pearl Harbor and leave the PI alone for a couple turns since US cant make new units there? The Hawaii Islands stepping stone was killing me last time.

• Trust me……mine arent the best but I may be able to help you until the people who have played 10000x more than me can help.

1. 1 minor IC is all you need. Put some inf there and send waves. dont focus all on China as the other allies will take you out if you do. Have you also heard of the j3 india crush?. Theres counters but look here for it.

2. Dont let the us get to out of control. Take out small convoys and dont let your navy widdle away.

3. I like 5. 1 for each country. People like china alot for some reason. it says 2-4 on box but its really 2-5.

4. Go for the DEI for income. just send 1 sub to sink tranny. Take out and hopefully take phillipines. Kwangtung is easy target for VC. FIC is good for income. Dont take hawaii till you take out india and/or china. then focus on taking mainland/hawaii.

Experts may think differently. I may be wrong. But hopefully these will help a little.

• Ok thanks, I appreciate the quick response! I’m probably going to get the board out tonight and start thinking up strategies

• If you want ill play a forum game with you for practice.

• That would be cool, but how does that even work. i was just starting to read about those.

• Heres a sample turn.

Purchase (Buy units here) remainingt (how much you have left)
    Combat Move: (Place CB moves here. Sample below)
    (territory moving to) : (units) moving to (repeat territory)
    Roll: Roll here format below

;aaa n@v;

replace ;=:
    n=number of dice
    v= value of dice

example:
    DiceRolls: 3@3; Total Hits: 23@3: (6, 1, 3)

Non Combat Move: (place NCB moves here)
    (territory moving to) : (units) moving to (repeat territory)
    Place units: Placing (units) at (territory)
    Collect: Collect (# of IPCs collecting)

Thats the format….or at least how i do it.

• that would take forever, im not sure i have the patience for that unless you can convince me otherwise haha

• it really isent. especially since youll be japan. I have to do it 4 times IN A ROW.

• If you want a real exp try watching a game. it helps. go to “play boardgames” section and watch. you may learn strat too.

• Play by forum is a massive pain and requires a ton of typing. I guess I am just spoiled as I am used to using the nice interface of mapview PBEM with aacalc dicey. Apparently most people are perfectly fine using that atrocity called abattlemap and typing out all of their moves.

• MapView also helps to “see” the game progress. Combat moves, combat resolved, noncombat, unit placement if you wish.

With ABattleMap, all you see is the end result of each turn.

Saldly, no one has made any new maps for MapView.

• TripleA has a P40 map aswell. Not finished yet, and it requires some editing, but good enough to play th game.

• Most people are attacking w/Jap on the first turn. There is a lot of info about the J1 (Jap first turn) attack, and crushing India on turn 3. The creator of the game is looking into changes because the J1 attack is so favorable. Jap can take out a bunch of stuff, and keep the allies from getting most of their NO’s for awhile (kill transports).

Typical J1 attack:
    Kill the UK battleship and transports w/bombers (maybe one fighter)
    Take Kwangtung, French Indo, and start invading China
    Move Caroline fleet to Dutch islands (maybe Java), and start working towards your NO
    Take the Philippines (use home fleet), but don’t empty out sz 6 if you built only transports (Hawaiian bomber).
    Use your sub and kill the US transport in Hawaii
    You could build a IC in Asia round 1 (or 2), or build some transports (you’ll probably need both). You have to get more boots to Asia.

The allies on the other hand have to work together as best they can. Try to set up a 1-2 punch (because the 4 allies go back to back against 1) UK & China just try to hold out as long as they can, and counter attack. The Anzac just works on taking what it can, may try to send some ftrs to UK, or just back up the US.

In this game I tend to use destroyers to block my opponents movement (like the path from Hawaii to Japan).

Welcome and good luck!

• As far as protecting Japan goes, there is one route the U.S. can reach Japan from Hawaii, so you can place a destroyer in one of the sea zones in that route.  That can buy you a turn before you need to build up more defenses.

• There are tons of people for the J1 attack.  However we have played our last 6 games with Japan attacking on the 4th round.  Even though the UK gets extra money from the islands it doesn’t compare to the USA’s bonus money.  last 6 games Japan has taken India in round 5 every time.
      Now we have played multiple games with the J1 attack and are about 50/50 on who wins.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m