Expanded 1940 rules (Movement, surprise attacks, bases, and more)

• These rules are intended to be used with my technology rules. http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19242.0

Thanks to Imperious Leader for inspiration for some of my solutions to issues that had been bothering me as well.

As with my technology rules, my guiding principle was to enhance historical plausibility and add strategic options, while retaining playability and minimizing added complexity as much as possible.

While different people obviously have different ideas about what the desired balance of these things is, any constructive feedback on these rules is sought and appreciated.

The thing I’m most unsure about is the possible ramifications and playability of my Lend/Lease rule, but I think it provides a quick and dirty way to reflect the USA’s early war contributions.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Modified and Optional Rules

Coastal Fortifications.

• A coastal fortification may be built in any coastal territory or island for 8 IC.
    • Only one fortification may be constructed in a territory. Once constructed it cannot be moved.
    • When a territory containing a coastal fortification is subject to an amphibious attack, the defender may roll a die during the off-shore bombardment phase for each ship that is conducting off-shore bombardment and each land unit that is amphibiously attacking.
    • On a roll of 1, that unit immediately suffers a hit and is removed following the first round of combat.
    • If the territory is captured by an enemy, the fortifications are destroyed.

Naval Movement. Aircraft Carriers, Cruisers, and Destroyers have a move value of 3.

Air Bases. Replaces standard air base rules.

• An air base costs 10 IC to build.
    • Aircraft may only move during the combat move phase if taking off from an operational airbase.
    • Aircraft making a non-combat move from a territory with a friendly air base may add +1 to their move.
    • Fighters in a territory with an operational airbase may scramble to intercept strategic bombardment attacks in any adjacent territory, as per the standard interception rules.
    • Fighters in a territory with an operational airbase may scramble to intercept air attacks against an air or naval base in their present territory.
    • Fighters or tactical bombers in an island territory with an operational airbase may scramble to defend against naval vessels as per standard rules.
    • Each aircraft may only scramble once per turn, and may not participate in any other combat if it does so.

Attacking Aircraft on the Ground.

• Fighters and tactical bombers may attack enemy airbases as a combat move prior to any ground combat.
    • Roll for the air-base’s integral anti aircraft guns as normal prior to combat.
    • Combat lasts 1 round. Land units do not participate.
    • Scrambled fighters use their full defensive values. Other aircraft have their defense lowered by 1 to a minimum of 1.
    • Aircraft which attack air bases may not participate in any other combat.

Naval Bases. Replaces standard naval base rules.

• Naval units making a non-combat movement from a sea-zone adjacent to a friendly naval base may add 1 to their move.
    • Friendly naval units in a sea zone adjacent to an operational naval base you control may elect to be “in port” at the end of your non-combat move phase.
    • When friendly naval units are in port they will be repaired during their owner’s repair and purchase units phase.
    • When enemy ships make a combat move into a sea zone adjacent to your port, you may elect whether or not to move your ships to sea and engage in combat.
    • Ships in port may not be attacked by enemy surface vessels.

Attacking Ships in Port.

• Fighters, tactical bombers, and submarines may attack enemy naval bases as a combat move.
    • Roll for the naval base’s integral anti aircraft guns as normal prior to combat.
    • Ships in port have their defense value lowered by 1 to a minimum of 1.
    • Scrambled fighters use their full defense value.
    • Defending submarines are excluded from combat.

Surprise Attacks.

• When launching an strategic bombing attack or an air attack against enemy air or naval bases, roll a die. On a 1 or 2, your airplanes attack preemptively, but after the defender’s anti-aircraft guns.
    • A nation that possesses the Radar or Code-Breakers technologies is immune to surprise attacks.

Strategic Movement. When one of your land units makes a non-combat movement from or through a territory containing an industrial complex you control, it may add +1 to its move. The maximum number of units that may receive this benefit is equal to the current unit production capacity of that complex.

Lend/Lease. During your purchase phase, you may donate units other than infantry to another nation.

• Units to be donated must be at an industrial complex you control or in a sea zone adjacent.
    • Subtract 1/3 the IC cost of the unit (rounded up) from the balance of the nation receiving, and add it to the balance of the nation donating.
    • Remove the unit from the board and replace it with one of the receiving nation.
    • Lend/Lease units may not perform a combat move until beginning the turn in a province with an industrial complex controlled by their new owner, (or a portion of the Burma Road for China).
    • The United States may Lend/Lease units even before entering the war, and Lend/Lease units en-route from the US to their new owner may move through US territory or be carried aboard US transports and aircraft carriers.

Neutral Nations. Replaces standard neutral nation rules.

• Strict Neutrals - If a strict Neutral is attacked, they and all other strict neutrals on the same continent (South America, Europe, including Turkey, Africa, and Asia, including the Middle East) will become friendly to the opposing side.
    • Friendly Neutrals – During their non-combat move phase, you may move land units into a neutral territory that is friendly to your side. You must also pay a bribe equal to three times the IC value of that territory +1 for each neutral infantry unit depicted. You now control that territory and may place the number of infantry units depicted in that territory during the following deploy units phase.
    • Unfriendly Neutrals – As per the standard rules.
    • Spain is friendly to the Axis, Venezuela is friendly to the Allies.

British Government in Exile. In the event that London is captured by the Axis, the British Empire in Europe will be administered from Ottawa beginning on their next turn, allowing them to continue to collect IC’s and purchase units. If London is liberated, the British government will return there, reestablishing it as their capitol.

Optional National Advantages. Each nation begins the game with the following technologies:

• Germany – Combined Arms Training, Improved Torpedoes
    • Japan – Super Heavy Battleships, Long Range Aircraft
    • Italy –  Naval Radar, Patriotic Fervor
    • USA – Heavy Bombers, Increased Factory Production
    • England – Radar, War Bonds
    • Russia – Heavy Tanks, Increased Factory Production
    • ANZAC – War Bonds, Commandos
    • France – Advanced Artillery, Commandos (May only be used in France, Southern France, and Normandy)
    • China – Commandos (May only be used in their own national provinces that are occupied by an enemy)

• I’m surprised by the total lack of response to this topic. Are these so awsome that everyone is struck speechless, or is there really just no-one who cares enough to make a comment?

• what do the National advantages do?

• @i:

what do te National advantages do?

There not national advantages there starting techs the are on the link.

• I like the coastal fortification rule. Did you see ILs rules for blockhouses here?  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=17701.0

• New blockhouse rules:

fixed cost of 4 IPC ( includes one border)

each additional border that is adjacent to the Blockhouse adds +2 IPC to the cost.

So if you want a block house in a TT that is adjacent to 5 areas, you will pay 4+2+2+2+2= 12 IPC ( remember one is included)

So small islands only cost 4 IPC

Benefit: all infantry and art are +1 all rounds of combat on defense

If this is a sea invasion first round preemptive fire

If captured they are destroyed

Optional: Also they can be bombed ( SBR)  equal to their cost. They can be repaired in the same manner as a factory. If damage is equal or greater than cost, the unit is destroyed.

• @Imperious:

New blockhouse rules:

each additional border that is adjacent to the Blockhouse adds +2 IPC to the cost.

So if you want a block house in a TT that is adjacent to 5 areas, you will pay 4+2+2+2+2= 12 IPC ( remember one is included)

Optional: Also they can be bombed ( SBR)  equal to their cost. They can be repaired in the same manner as a factory. If damage is equal or greater than cost, the unit is destroyed.

I like this.

• @Imperious:

New blockhouse rules:

Does it’s cost affected buy the amount of borders in STBR.

• Does it’s cost affected buy the amount of borders in STBR.

What is STBR>?

The cost is always the number of borders including sea zones. The first border is always implied in the cost of the unit. ( 4 IPC)

• @Imperious:

Does it’s cost affected buy the amount of borders in STBR.

What is STBR>?

The cost is always the number of borders including sea zones. The first border is always implied in the cost of the unit. ( 4 IPC)

STrategic Bombing Raid. I am also wondering about what happens if your attacked buy multiple borders. Some with the borders some without. So with my first question I was wondering if the amount or borders affects the damage cap.

• Strategic Bombing Raid. I am also wondering about what happens if your attacked buy multiple borders. Some with the borders some without. So with my first question I was wondering if the amount or borders affects the damage cap.

Well most of us use SBR, but anyway…

ON the borders, You see the fortification costs +2 for each border so it does not matter because the fortification is no longer placed on the border, its just in the territory like any other unit.

This is why i changed the rule because it because too difficult to sort out.

If you must use the old rule, what we did was roll out all the non protected borders first, then defender rolls, then protected borders roll. The defenders hits are allocated to the protected border first, then assign all hits in typical manner.

This extra step was not a ‘clean’ solution so we scrapped it and we also modeled the concept that some areas should cost less than 8 IPC ( islands)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m