• Interesting.
    Cannot see how it could be anything but mistaken identity.
    Why would Israel want the complications and reparations otherwise?

• I think it was just an error on Israel part. I’m surprised more events like this did not occur.

Around 250 Danish ships were sunk by mistaken identity in WWI.

• '12

Israel was/is a major ally of the US.  I find it exceedingly far fetched to think that the US would nuke Israel EVER under ANY circumstances.  Using nukes never de-escalates anything in my opinion.  I also find it hard to believe that the US would think the USSR would go total nuclear over Egypt when the US had an overwhelming nuclear advantage and MAD ensured nobody would win.  I would think aerial overflights would work better for sigint and targeting than a navy ship for land based targets.  Besides, Israel is called a ‘one nuke state’ not because it only has one (it has about 150 now) but because one good sized nuke takes Israel off the map as far as a nation.  You don’t need that accurate of targeting if you plan to kill Israel in order to prevent the Russians from committing suicide by going all out in a nuke war.

That removes any motive in that regard.  I really can’t see any other plausible reason.  Mistakes do happen.  The US took out a civilian liner coming out of Libya.  I think it more likely than not that in that case it was a mistake.

Occams razor.  On the other hand Cromwell, I would be interested in what sources you could cite to support your premesis or about the lack of support for the ship by Johnson.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m