• Let the voting begin. I will post my opinion soon.

• '10

The ME262 in LARGE NUMBERS in early 1943 would have given the Germans air superiority in the skies of Europe and over the eastern front as well. Resulting in a stalemate in the Soviet Union and no bombing campaign over Europe. There would be no D-Day in 1944 so the Germans could transfer units to the eastern front. The war would go on into 1947-48.

• The ME 262 is the only listed item (and indeed the only Nazi technology I can think of) that was really a game changer.  Not sure if it would have been sufficient to stop the Russians though.

Had they developed the A-bomb (very unlikely) in addition to the V-2 as a suitable delivery system, they would have been able to win as England would have surrendered (no London).  Russia would probably have not surrendered, but without Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrad, etc. I can’t see how the Russians would have been able to win.

• I voted “other”, b/c in 1943, the only weapon that could win the war for Germany was the atom bomb.

The A-bomb was the only thing that could stop Russians, the British and Americans from crushing Germany after 1942.

• All the ME 262s in the world wouldn’t matter without the fuel to get 'em in the sky.  The problem was bigger than a lack of hardware.  The Atom Bomb, on the other hand, would have been a game changer with the other resources already at Germany’s disposal.

• Its not a choice: only actual German technology was listed.

That German UFO didn’t make the list either because it didn’t exist.

If all the Me-109’s in 1943 were replaced with Me-262 it would be huge and allies would have no daylight raids and ground support would be very hard.

the walter U-boats would have been even better but they needed them in 1941 and 42. 1943 was a bad year for Germany.

• The ME-262 would have changed the outcome in the Battle of Britain.

• '10

Oops, sorry Brain the ME262 was not around in 1940. It probably did not have the range to reach England and then hang around protecting bombers and engaging in dogfights even if it had been around in 1940. The ME109 had a similar problem. @Brain:

The ME-262 would have changed the outcome in the Battle of Britain.

• '10

With the ME262 in control of the skies, the processing of fuel would not be a problem. The Allies would have a terrible time trying to bomb the refineries. The losses would be unacceptable.@dinosaur:

All the ME 262s in the world wouldn’t matter without the fuel to get 'em in the sky.  The problem was bigger than a lack of hardware.  The Atom Bomb, on the other hand, would have been a game changer with the other resources already at Germany’s disposal.

• Because the allies had much more production and manpower, the war was lost for the Germans when Germany didn’t finish off UK, and failed to take Moscow.

All the techs on the list would only prolong the inevitable. Germany needed the A-bomb, and/or a totally different long time strategy after they attacked Poland in 1939.

• @Imperious:

Its not a choice: only actual German technology was listed.

That German UFO didn’t make the list either because it didn’t exist.

If all the Me-109’s in 1943 were replaced with Me-262 it would be huge and allies would have no daylight raids and ground support would be very hard.

the walter U-boats would have been even better but they needed them in 1941 and 42. 1943 was a bad year for Germany.

I’m surprised the Tpye XXI U-Boat isn’t getting more votes. The weapon could have been a convoy buster weapon.

• @ABWorsham:

I’m surprised the Tpye XXI U-Boat isn’t getting more votes. The weapon could have been a convoy buster weapon.

By 1943, the allies had devised excellent anti-submarine technology and tactics, and I don’t think the Type XXI U-boat was sufficiently advanced to overcome these.  Had these boats  been around in 1941 (before the anti-sub technology was developed) then, yes it might have made a difference.  But IMO, 1943 was too late to win the war against the UK by submarine blockade; at least with any technology the Germans had.

• I agree that the only listed choice would be the ME-262. The V2 the second choice but after watching Scud’s smacking Israel and Saudi Arabia, the V2 alone was not enough. These rockets are just to random to make a difference.

However, I agree about the Atom Bomb, as long as the US was on track to develop it by 1945 and the German’s weren’t, the end would have been the same, eventually. Also remember both the UK and US had flown their Glouster E28/39 and Bell XP-59 prototype jet planes by 1942. The allies certainly would have worked hard to develop jet fighters of their own to counter the Germans.

The Germans flew the first Jet plane the Heinkel He 178 on August 27, 1939. A few days before Poland. At that time they were to busy to anything but tinker with Jets but what if they had thrown the full weight into them?

German economic production could only do so much.

• Customizer

Though I voted for the ME, I actually  think it would have taken a combination of tech. for Germany to have had different results.  They would have needed the jets early on so that they could have largely - if not totally - dominated the sky.  Air superiority would be key to deliver an Atom Bomb (either that or rocketry I suppose - but it would have to be many more years advanced than what they had)), which would have also been necessary to change the outcome… and even then, I think it might have ended in an armistice of some sort, even after dropping some bombs. Really depends on the nation, Japan was crippled by it - and though dropping 2 A-bombs in the USSR or the states would have damaged many elements - morale, prod. etc., I don’t think it would have caused an immediate surrender… we’re talking much larger areas of land.  Though in the USSR’s case it might be a little different, since it would depend how bad off they were when the Germans started dropping A-bombs (US having the advantage of distance in some respects). Just ME’s alone?  Eh… perhaps it would have extended the war, but certainly not changed the end result.  Someone else mentioned fuel and production - yeah, Germany just didn’t have the industrial might of the states which entered the war with the benefit of the world’s largest automotive industry, which simply switched to wartime production.

• '10

As I indicated in my earlier post on this subject, I think the war could have been extended into 1947-48 with the domination of ME262S in EARLY 1943. Germany was nowhere near producing an A-Bomb in 1945 and I doubt they would have had one by 1947-48. The U.S. and U.K. would have caught up with Germany in the production of jet fighters by then. The war could have ended earlier depending on the willingness of the U.S. to use the A-Bomb over europe. This would have saved many lives on the battlefield but cost many additional civilian lives. I would not want to have to make that decision.

• Customizer

@Fishmoto37:

As I indicated in my earlier post on this subject, I think the war could have been extended into 1947-48 with the domination of ME262S in EARLY 1943. Germany was nowhere near producing an A-Bomb in 1945 and I doubt they would have had one by 1947-48. The U.S. and U.K. would have caught up with Germany in the production of jet fighters by then. The war could have ended earlier depending on the willingness of the U.S. to use the A-Bomb over europe. This would have saved many lives on the battlefield but cost many additional civilian lives. I would not want to have to make that decision.

Yep, I read your indication.  Incidentally, I posted a link to some interesting alternative WWII history you might find interesting (I’d call it amusing but that would make the content sound funny… it’s not).

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Morgen_die_ganze_Welt

• '10

I looked at the Air War on your link. That is some amazing and scary stuff.@Viracocha:

@Fishmoto37:

Yep, I read your indication.  Incidentally, I posted a link to some interesting alternative WWII history you might find interesting (I’d call it amusing but that would make the content sound funny… it’s not).

• Customizer

@Fishmoto37:

I looked at the Air War on your link. That is some amazing and scary stuff.@Viracocha:

@Fishmoto37:

Yep, I read your indication.  Incidentally, I posted a link to some interesting alternative WWII history you might find interesting (I’d call it amusing but that would make the content sound funny… it’s not).

Given the subject we’re on - thought you might find it interesting.

• The British and U.S bombing of Germany did not cause Germany’s loss in WW2. The vast area of the U.S.S.R and the millions of Soviet troops was the doom of Germany. The Sturmgewehr 44 was the best of the poll choices to check the Red Army. The Me-262 would have little value on the Eastern Front.

• '10

I have previously posted why I think the ME262 would have had an influence on the eastern front. With contol of the air over Europe, there would have been no d-day in 1944 which would have freed many German divisions to be transfered there as well as many Luftwaffe units. (Bombers) Would there have been a different outcome at Kursk (Operation Citadel July 5th 1943) with Germany in control of the air? I think that a stalemate would have occured and maybe a slight chance of a truce. With extra German forces in northern Italy the allies probably would have been stopped there also. Remember the choice in this poll was large numbers of ME262s in EARLY 1943. @ABWorsham:

The British and U.S bombing of Germany did not cause Germany’s loss in WW2. The vast area of the U.S.S.R and the millions of Soviet troops was the doom of Germany. The Sturmgewehr 44 was the best of the poll choices to check the Red Army. The Me-262 would have little value on the Eastern Front.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m