Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• TripleA '12

I don’t know how you do it mate. It would drive me bloody mad. Do you think you could perhaps make some kind of stencil for the roundels? Maybe out of thin sticky plastic or something (like laminate)… Just stick it on and paint over it. Too tricky, I expect.

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

I don’t know how you do it mate. It would drive me bloody mad. Do you think you could perhaps make some kind of stencil for the roundels? Maybe out of thin sticky plastic or something (like laminate)… Just stick it on and paint over it. Too tricky, I expect.

Stencils at this scale are next to impossible. Finding a way to accurately cut it out would be just as maddening. Also the paint would either flow out past the edges or stick to the stencil when you’re trying to remove it.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@allworkandnoclay:

@Lozmoid:

Stencils at this scale are next to impossible. Finding a way to accurately cut it out would be just as maddening. Also the paint would either flow out past the edges or stick to the stencil when you’re trying to remove it.

You are probably getting tired of responding to the “stencil” question… I know I asked you before too.

• Wow, topic started Feb 11th. It’s now August 7th. Been at this for half a year now… Dedication!!! I’ve started to paint mine (Spring 1942 edition), if it takes me half a year to complete it I’ll go mad. 2 weeks in and I’ve already finished Japan and started Germany though haha. Probably 1% of the quality yours are!

Keep it up man! They look awesome.

• Customizer

@McLovin1985:

Wow, topic started Feb 11th. It’s now August 7th. Been at this for half a year now… Dedication!!! I’ve started to paint mine (Spring 1942 edition), if it takes me half a year to complete it I’ll go mad. 2 weeks in and I’ve already finished Japan and started Germany though haha. Probably 1% of the quality yours are!

Keep it up man! They look awesome.

I have to say that I probably would have quit ages ago if not for the support and interest shown by everyone here at A&A.org. You guys make it possible.

• Customizer

This topic’s gone global.

• More work for you to match with the global game? How are the Russians coming along? Finish the roundels?

• @Viracocha:

@LHoffman:

@allworkandnoclay:

@Dylan:

Is the navy or air force next?

RAF next.

Chad, I saw pictures of someone else’s painted pieces and he used these small decals which he ordered online from a company. They seemed very appropriate and very strong in terms of color…. would you, in your professional opinion, recommend usage of such decals for someone else painting a set? Do you know if they are generally durable enough? (The decals were national symbols and other related markers.) His thread is under the Anniversary Ed. SubForum.

LHoffman,

I used decals from I-94, I highly recommend them!   :-D

Fantastic results here Allwork - truly splendid.

Hi, what kind of decals did you use? 1/300th or 1/600th ?

I think 1/300th are better 'cause they are 2,5 mm; 3 mm and 4 mm but i haven’t use them yet.

• I don’t know about you, Allwork… the first thing I’m going to paint on the Europe '40 game is the French pieces.  I’m not a fan of the sky-blue color.

I have a fair idea of all the other French pieces, but I really don’t know how to do the infantry justice.  Any ideas from what you’ve seen?

• Customizer

@robbie358:

I don’t know about you, Allwork… the first thing I’m going to paint on the Europe '40 game is the French pieces.  I’m not a fan of the sky-blue color.

I have a fair idea of all the other French pieces, but I really don’t know how to do the infantry justice.  Any ideas from what you’ve seen?

…Also here is a good forum showing individual pieces of the uniform:
    http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=48333

• Customizer

@McLovin1985:

More work for you to match with the global game? How are the Russians coming along? Finish the roundels?

Lots of family visits and camping this past week. More family this weekend. Going a bit off schedule. Everything is finished except the yellow of the roundels…

Should pump them out early next week.

• Hey allwork,

Did you notice that between Pac40 and Guadalcanal there are two differenet types of US infantry molds?  The base of the figures seems to be different sizes.  Anyone know why that is?

• Customizer

Didn’t notice that, but then again, all my units are mixed together now. You can definitely tell the difference by color, quality of plastic, and the amount of mold markings left on the piece.

Really it doesn’t surprise me - Guadalcanal had lots of issues of their molds. Some of the Japanese navy was cast in American molds. Really I’ve got a whole pile of minis that are cast in the wrong colors.

By the way: Russians tomorrow I think.

• '12

@robbie358:

Hey allwork,

Did you notice that between Pac40 and Guadalcanal there are two differenet types of US infantry molds?  The base of the figures seems to be different sizes.  Anyone know why that is?

My Early copy of AAC came with 1/76 scale infantry and the later copy had the now standard 1/72 scale.  I’m surprised to hear that the 1/76 reappeared 20 years later.  Maybe the molds are still around and they used the wrong ones???  :?

• @moralecheck:

@robbie358:

Hey allwork,

My Early copy of AAC came with 1/76 scale infantry and the later copy had the now standard 1/72 scale.  I’m surprised to hear that the 1/76 reappeared 20 years later.  Maybe the molds are still around and they used the wrong ones???  :?

I just went ahead an painted the smaller molds as regular US Army infantry and the larger ones as US Marines.  I usually do them all the same, but I wanted to make sure I have Marines in case I play the old Pacific again.  Besides, I’d never use anything other than Marines for Guadalcanal anyways.

• Customizer

UPDATE:

Soviet Union Infantry

Soviet Union Infantry - Flat Drab

Soviet Union Infantry - Winter Drab

Soviet Union Infantry - “Amoeba” Scout Camo

Soviet Union Infantry - Full Force

• I think those infantry are your masterpiece.

• Love the winter guys.

• Ya know I’ve never noticed that they are carrying tommy guns!  :-o

• '10

Insert Quote
    Ya know I’ve never noticed that they are carrying tommy guns!

I believe it is a PPSh

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m