• As I said, I’m against the idea.

Ogrebait, you spoke about players using incorrect methods to develop house rules.  Yet whose to say or judge what the proper method is?  It’s not to say all house rules and the methods used to develop them are equal.  That is, when I say equal, that no one is better than the other.  Some may be worse than others, and others supremely better, but you can’t have those different results without freedom.

Why shouldn’t variety in result be accompanied with variety in method?

If our goal is to reach the “Ultimate Axis and Allies” game, then there are only two ways to achieve this.  One is through Divine Revelation, the other through Natural Freedom of Creativity.

• BTW, for anyone just joining, this is the continuation of a conversation between me and Ogrebait that got started on Trisden’s AA50 House Rules.

Basically, it’s a debate over whether there should be a “clearinghouse” for A&A House Rules that tests and endorses them for general use.

Ogrebait’s position is that too many isolated groups create too many wacky results.

My position is that’s precisely what’s good about it.

• just play the rules for yourself and remain faithful to them and you will see if they are good or not. You cant basically declare them bogus or unnecessary if you never played them. They have different intentions behind them and it may take a few games to see this.

one of the key factors to make decent house rules is to be flexible and support them long after they are ‘finished’ Support with various player aids and visuals and well thought out and written rules. Don’t go overboard and just take whats out and make it a small step better.

• I agree totally, and in the end, it all comes down to having fun.

I also really like you’re A&A Advanced variants.  Maybe I’ll make my own A&A game and sell it, too.  Then I can buy yours  :wink:

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Basically, it’s a debate over whether there should be a “clearinghouse” for A&A House Rules that tests and endorses them for general use.

Ogrebait’s position is that too many isolated groups create too many wacky results.

I think you are both right… rules do need testing, and it takes many games to make sure rules maintain a balanced game and don’t break it…

BUT - the free flow of ideas is a good thing, but rules do need to be tested, and if you fix one thing with a rule, it make break something else in another part of the game.

• that’s one of the great things about this forum.  It practically already is a house rules “think thank”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m