Axis and Allies 1942 Edition Fact Sheet ( AA42)

• over the internet…

Axis & Allies 1942’
    ‘Little Brother’ to ‘Anniversary Edition’
    Published: 04/20/2009, Last Updated: 04/21/2009 03:34am

Wizards of the Coast’s Avalon Hill division will release a new, re-envisioned version of Axis & Allies, with a similar style to last year’s Anniversary Edition, according to WotC Direct Sales Manager Mike Dunlap. “We are taking the style that we used for Axis & Allies Anniversary, and making a little brother of that,” he said.

Axis & Allies 1942 will have a similar look and feel to last year’s Anniversary Edition (see “New Edition of ‘Axis & Allies’”), streamlined for two to five players and retailing for around $30. The game currently has a soft release date of August, possibly in time for Gen Con Indy.

• IL,

Any chance for mech INF?  Or was that wistful hunger…

• no just cruisers.

But it would seem that finally the AA gun and factory will be new.

• @Imperious:

• IPC is now recorded, no more play money

What does that mean?

• If you have say 24 IPC you write down 24 on a pad of paper and avoid dealing with silly pieces of paper getting passed back and forth and having to make change and having to have somebody be a cashier. Also, when you write the stuff down you don’t have to deal with counting slips of paper or mixing your money with another players money.

Im not sure if its a pad of paper or some player aid

• So the ‘new board’ is identical to revised, but with new artwork?  Lame!

• @Imperious:

If you have say 24 IPC you write down 24 on a pad of paper and avoid dealing with silly pieces of paper getting passed back and forth and having to make change and having to have somebody be a cashier. Also, when you write the stuff down you don’t have to deal with counting slips of paper or mixing your money with another players money.

Im not sure if its a pad of paper or some player aid

oh okay thank you.
    @Rakeman:

So the ‘new board’ is identical to revised, but with new artwork?  Lame!

I was wondering the same thing.  Maybe I can just use my AAR board with AA50 rules!

• @Rakeman:

So the ‘new board’ is identical to revised, but with new artwork?  Lame!

I am pleased to see a better map.

• Customizer

Larry Harris has now stated on his site that the map is the same, but the scuplts are new

Cheers

• Thats what i said before.

• @jim010:

Larry Harris has now stated on his site that the map is the same, but the scuplts are new

Cheers

do you have a link?

• Customizer

I have been more than negligent with you guys… But I’ve been busy, busy, busy… Not that you haven’t been but I don’t handle pressure as well I guess. I think it’s ok for me to let you know the following - The AA42 is based on the Revised Map. There will be NEW sculpts. Really cool sculpts actually… The price tag will be VERY low as well. Love you guys!

quoted from Larry Harris from
    :
    http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?t=1805&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=8

I’m guessing this means new - not refreshed - sculpts with the addition of cruisers.  I’m curious to see if this is really the case.

Cheers

• Customizer

“Based on” doesn’t mean the same as.

Maybe not - hopefully you are right and the map has more than just cosmetic changes.

Cheers

• Its not the same as revised. It it were it would not have new pieces and new cruisers and a new map.

Its an updated version with some of the ideas from AA50 that seemed to work better than revised ( such as cruisers at 3-3 and destroyers at 2-2)

I would expect even a few new ideas, BUT it will be based on the 5 player revised. Consider it 4th edition Axis and Allies.

This could mean some minor changes on VC locations and perhaps a new territory or two…but still revised overall.

I hope he redoes the technology and adds some neutrals, but probably not.

• Revamping neutrals would be awesome!!

• @Constantinople:

Revamping neutrals would be awesome!!

it will never happen ILO (in larry’s opinion)

IMO, I would love to conquer and utterly destroy Sweden, cause they helped Hitler, and I am confused Stalin did not do this during the real war

• Because Finland gave him so much trouble, Sweden would have been impossible.

• The A&A rules regarding neutrals, (AAR&AA50) are not realistic, they’re unhistorical, and it makes the game more “boring”, in the sense that allowing for neutrals to be attacked would make a more interesting and fun game.

In Europe, many countries were neutral in 1939, and before that, but when the war began, they were occupied. This didn’t only happen to Norway, but many other nations as well.

Hitler had many plans, one of them was Operation Tannenbaum. It was one of the plans which didn’t make it from theory to reality. Some countries were invaded and some got away, it was not up to the smaller nations, but the big 5.
    If Germany didn’t invade Norway, it could very well be UK instead. Or we could be lucky, and keep our “neutrality”.

When Larry Harris explains some of the rules, he often states that “In WW2……during the war…”.
    There are many factors that are implemented in A&A which happened in the real war.
    So why not keep the neutrality rules from classic, or make some minor changes.
    There are no good reasons why we can’t attack “neutral” countries, when it happened in the real WW2!

• He wont do it. Its too problematic to him. The same reason why we get no 1939 game.

But i really don’t know why he does not just make these kind of rules as optional or released as a free gift, kinda like the DVD release that would contain extra scenes not in the movie, he could have posted rules that were close but didnt make it or it was felt didn’t have enough time to gestate before the games publication.

Invading neutrals is what started the war in the first place.

• Well, Sahara, Gobi desert (Mongolia) and Himalayas should remain impassable for physical reasons. Switzerland also, because it was too costly for germans to invade. Those 4 should remain impassable

The Classic system could work for South America and maybe also for Sweden, but Spain, portuguese colonies and Turkey should have at least a small defense force just to make anyone thing two times invade them  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m