• @Subotai:

http://previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=23&s=134&ai=81067&ssd=

In Norway we call April 1. for aprils fools day.

• Can someone say too soon?  :|
    I hope it is an April Fool’s joke (though it looks too elaborate for that) rather than Wizards trying to suck more milk out of the A&A cash cow.

If it’s just a rerelease of the AAR – meh, I rather play with AA50.

• Well, let’s be honest, we didn’t really need all those pieces anyway.  If they were to take away 100 units and replace them with 50 chips I’d be more than happy.

I’m sure there’s going to be some rules or setup changes to this version of 1942, too, because as it stands under AA50 that scenario is ridiculously difficult for the Axis to win among experienced players (from what I’ve seen).

• Its not AA50. Its 5 players, so it must be another print of revised with modified AA50 box art.

• > This new edition of the classic game of strategic conquest features new units, sculpts, and updated rules.

ok so its got cruisers, Mech infantry, and fixed rules…370 pieces vs 366 for revised.

• My second reaction is “Why?”

Why replace an arguably superior game (AA50) with a watered down version of Revised?  Does that make any sense to you?  Reception for AA50 has been enormous.  Critics love it, devotees of A&A love it (us), people who were normally partial against A&A have started to see the light.  Gaming clubs and tourney leagues, such as A&A.org, have by and large superseded Revised with Anniversary.  So why replace Anniversary?  With a inferior (read: lighter) breed of Revised?  Besides “How to play” lessons, why even bother spending time with Revised?  And all this less than a year of Anniversary being on the market?

If this game does get released, not only am I boycotting Hasbro, but I’m thinking of dropping A&A completely.

I kicking for not having bought 10 copies of Anniversary and scalping them on ebay at exaggerated prices

• @TG:

My second reaction is “Why?”

Why replace an arguably superior game (AA50) with a watered down version of Revised?  Does that make any sense to you?  Reception for AA50 has been enormous.  Critics love it, devotees of A&A love it (us), people who were normally partial against A&A have started to see the light.  Gaming clubs and tourney leagues, such as A&A.org, have by and large superseded Revised with Anniversary.  So why replace Anniversary?  With a inferior (read: lighter) breed of Revised?  Besides “How to play” lessons, why even bother spending time with Revised?  And all this less than a year of Anniversary being on the market?

If this game does get released, not only am I boycotting Hasbro, but I’m thinking of dropping A&A completely.

I kicking for not having bought 10 copies of Anniversary and scalping them on ebay at exaggerated prices

Why do you keep saying this will be a watered down version of revised?  How do you know it will be worse than revised, or anything else about it for that matter?

Personally I think it would be awesome if it was revised with cruisers added in and the AA50 rules… $70 is too much for a boardgame.  $50 is my limit  8-)

(Or hell, just a version of revised with a prettier board and a few extra Japanese tanks!)

Oh and as for why to play Revised… There is no AA50 Enhanced yet  :lol:

I think it’s obvious AA50 is intended to be the “Deluxe” version, not a replacement of the standard.

• http://www.urban-collector.com/axis-allies-1942-edition-apr091630.html

Same game, bigger picture of the front side of the box.

• nothing on BGG ?

• Krieghund has today, at Larrys game design forum, more or less statet that there will come a new revision of Revised, that will be called A&A AH 1942 edition. He is propably one of the playtesters. May admin please make a new sub-forum for threads about this new game.plz.

• What would you name the new board? AA42-2009?

• AA42

• Urban Collector says it is a Ltd Edition.

• @Shakespeare:

Urban Collector says it is a Ltd Edition.

What’s with all these Ltd Edition games???  :-o

• @Rakeman:

Why do you keep saying this will be a watered down version of revised?  How do you know it will be worse than revised, or anything else about it for that matter?

What I meant to say is that this game will be a watered down version of Anniversary.  It’s likely this new game will be equal to or marginally better than Revised.  However, it’s guaranteed to be inferior to Anniversary.  It’s a smaller board, less territories, less pieces, no Italy as a playable fraction, no unique China front, poorer quality presentation, etc.  Really, why give up Anniversary for this junk?

And no, I don’t believe Revised II is mutually compatible with Anniversary.  This isn’t A&A:Europe or A&A:Battle of the Bulge.  Revised II will have to compete for playing time against Anniversary.  How often do you guys play Revised now that you have Anniversary?  Because if you’re going to play a board game with a world at war scope, you might as well play Anniversary, which is a more fleshed out game.

Personally I think it would be awesome if it was revised with cruisers added in and the AA50 rules… $70 is too much for a boardgame.  $50 is my limit

If you’re not willing to shell out $100 for the best board game you’ll ever play, then why go here?  I’m serious.  This board is for people who play AA:50 or intend on doing so.  Saying $50 is too much; why don’t you hang out on the Revised board instead?

Also, how can you have AA:50 rules on a Revised game?  There’s no unique China front, Italy isn’t playable, the NO system will probably have to be drastically revised…

• AA42 will have its own forum and sub forum for strategy. Its not Revised or AA50. Its different.

I have no idea why they made another global AA game. I hope its like a deluxe version of Revised, but it cant be because of the price. I know for a fact that its not revised but its using the map from it but it will be different.

I think this limited edition thing is kinda weird, but its promoting multiple projects and thats a good thing.

The name is kinda ridiculous also.

• @Imperious:

AA42 will have its own forum and sub forum for strategy. Its not Revised or AA50. Its different.

I have no idea why they made another global AA game. I hope its like a deluxe version of Revised, but it cant be because of the price. I know for a fact that its not revised but its using the map from it but it will be different.

I think this limited edition thing is kinda weird, but its promoting multiple projects and thats a good thing.

The name is kinda ridiculous also.

The most surprising thing to me is that it sorta came out of nowhere… if it wasn’t for the retailers announcing it, we’d have no idea about it.  And we thought they gave too little promotion on AA50… one day you’ll walk into a store and find some A&A game you never heard of if this keeps up  :|

It’s using the map from revised, as in, the same map identically?  That’s quite strange.  So it’s not revised, but it has the same map, same nations, same price… maybe it will be a boxed set that comes with LHTR!  … :oops:

• its not revised. It says new units AND new Sculpts. Which means Plural of more than one new type of unit…so its not even revised. Plus it says modified rules.

I think its the deluxe version of Revised that we were asking from larry back in 2005-7. It may be all new pieces or it may just be what we got in AA50 sans Italy. Its got to be a new map but very close to Revised.

Perhaps the tokens are thicker and the player aids are better quality and map is larger too?

• Well, isn’t the blurb they gave exactly identical to the one they gave with Revised?  Perhaps they just recycled the Revised blurb and therefore we don’t really know ANYTHING about it… dunno.

• well for starters its got 370 pieces and Revised had 366 pieces.

Its got similar script, but the chimps at WOTC always do the minimal work effort and probably just took the script from Revised and tweaked it just to get the job done … which was to give the company’s that are selling it something to have for their pre-order sales.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m