19L QF Farmboy(Allies+10) vs ksmckay

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

not that it likely matters, but I realized I forgot to move the US units in China. So I edited that and in doing so was able to fix the problem with the inf in Anwhe.

after all that, I will concede. Once the smoke cleared and I can see what my options are now, I don’t think you will have any difficulty holding everything you need to hold. I had thought it might be hard for you to stretch out and protect Rome, Stalingrad and Leningrad. I also assumed that I could probably take Denmark if I wanted and just realized that you easily have the numbers to block that, so Warsaw and Berlin are safe too. I suspect any set up I tried to go for would have ended up in a similar position. The smarter move might have been to previously do more to block the strafe on Cairo. But I was too afraid to make the Iraq stack any weaker.

Anyway, thanks for a very fun game and congratulations on the win. And good luck with the rest of the tournament!

• '19

As I said I can’t see things right now but I felt like you were in trouble. I thought you would stay in NWP last turn. That would have been the move the scared me most, otherwise if you could have prevented the strafe of Egypt then US could have maybe retaken Egypt.

Very well played. Dice were definitely pro axis but things got pretty close. I will have more comments later, but again very well played.

• @ksmckay said in 19L QF Farmboy(Allies+10) vs ksmckay:

I thought you would stay in NWP last turn.

I didn’t even think of that but yeah, that probably would have been my best bet. I was in a situation where even delaying you a turn on getting the 8th victory city may have kept me in the game. But I was probably too focused on saving Cairo to realize that from NWP you took Cairo at the expense of Stalingrad. I’m also quite nervous about exposing that many units when your odds are 80-90%. Although I imagine NWP and Iraq were close to the same odds if I played it right.

In those final turns I was playing USSR too quickly and often in a way that didn’t fit with how I would end up playing US/UK. Not sure if that made a difference, but it didn’t help.

Dice weren’t too bad I don’t think. I recall that you had a better than average turn 1 for Germany and Japan and then that run of 4 1s with your AA mid game. And I had those amazing convoy rolls on japan. But otherwise I didn’t feel the dice impact was too dramatic.

was just looking at it again. NWP was difficult for me because you more units in Volgograd that could reach. The odds would have been 100% no matter what I did. It may still have been worth it because in committing to it, you would give me another turn and maybe I would get a better than average roll out of it. And if I gave you 90% odds on the strafe in Egypt, you would have had 98% on Iraq. Still not great but maybe that is the route I should have gone. It would have at least pulled more of your air away from Europe.

• '19

I didnt think dice were crazy but I do think strong early axis turns go a long way, and then when you were behind you got hammered by the AAAs which made any sort of comeback that much harder and all in one quick burst.

I tried to get into middle east a few times but you always had enough to stop me but I had the advantage of a ton of mech and so positioned Italians in Greece under pretense of defending it from US landing and just kept things there waiting for an opportunity to sneak thru turkey. Took a lot longer than I had hoped because I kept having to pull back to deal with Russia.

Felt in control for most of the game but saw things headed in the wrong direction and was definitely concerned that I would take too long. Tried to mount a credible threat on London to give myself an opportunity somewhere and eventually I got one and made it count. Not sure there was much you could do after I snuck thru turkey (which is why I did it).

Was surprised you never bothered to take out italys fleet. I always tried to make sure US couldnt do it but thought UK could have done it a few times. That ended up making a big difference.

I thought for sure you would go for something with lower odds after I took Moscow but you never did. It meant you never really wasted any units which definitely started to pay off and if the game had gone any longer would have probably meant the win.

As far as the late game, I am not sure staying in NWP would have been good or not (guess it couldnt be worse) but I thought it might delay things a turn which at this point in the game was significant. But if you defend another turn but blow a 3-400 ipcs worth of units doing it, it probably doesnt matter.

But again well played, enjoyed the game for sure and as always, I learned a few things.

• @ksmckay said in 19L QF Farmboy(Allies+10) vs ksmckay:

Was surprised you never bothered to take out italys fleet. I always tried to make sure US couldnt do it but thought UK could have done it a few times. That ended up making a big difference.

I almost did it several times but always felt the units were needed elsewhere and that the chance would come again. The turn before you took Turkey I was planning on it, but then felt that I needed to pull back to counter the German navy by London.

And I almost went for the neutrals too the last few turns and that was definitely where I was going to go once I felt that I could concentrate on moving US units to Europe.

• '15 '14

It seems to me that the neutral crush won the game for the Axis. I believe without catching the UK stack off guard making sure it couldn‘t get bypassed I believe the Allies had the upper hand. Japan was on the decline and it appeared to me that the Allies would have been able to bring their economic advantage home over time.

• '19

@JDOW Yep. I was pretty concerned with the way things were progressing. I had been planning to use turkey to bypass his stack and was concerned he might attack neutrals the turn that I did. I think if things had been delayed just one more turn I would have been in trouble.

This is a belated response but …

I still might have lost given how powerful Germany was and how smart Ksmckay’s play is, but I was feeling pretty pleased with myself before the neutral crush because I thought I had just managed to turn around a losing game and recover the economic advantage. And the loss is in some ways more painful because of that since more careful play with that UK stack might have given me time to save Cairo and still have a chance to win the game. Its a good lesson, although one I think I should have learned before (Adam beat me in a similar way earlier although in that case, I had no chance and the neutral crush was just speeding up his victory).

In any case, it was a very close, well played, and fun game. I’m looking forward to a rematch down the road. At the moment though I’m avoiding getting in another game for a bit, but I am following your two playoff games with interest.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m