• changed incorrect infantry cost “2-4” to “3”, at units table at the end
    added AARHE logo
    added note about optional units

uploaded

lets roll (play via forum)
    hows your schedule?
    I might wait til I finish the 2 FFA games first

• where is the link?

• ok good. post on BGG, plus start a new entry on BGG for AARHE featuring only the latest files. Ill back it up with pictures from playtest games.

Use the title Axis and Allies Revised Historical edition, so it will reference properly with other games

• actually in the short term I won’t have time to update the nation player aids
    but otherwise latest files are in one direction already

http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/aarhe/player_aids/
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/aarhe/nation_player_aids/

I guess I could post Lite on BGG
    though I also feel like getting some feedback first
    shouldn’t take long, its only 4 pages

• The “Air Movement” rules in “Non-Combat Movement” didn’t make the cut for Lite?  We really like the this one.

• Bierwagen

• Are there no free Tech roll in Lite – it’s like AAR where you pick the tech and pay your 5 bucks per die and roll?

Since “Pre-Combat  1. ASW search (1st cycle only)” doesn’t exist in Lite the following needs to be revised:

Advanced Submarine:  Submarine’s attack and defense value is increases by 1. Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) search and attack rolls targeting them has hit value decreased by 1.

to

Advanced Submarine:  Submarine’s attack and defense value is increases by 1. Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) attack rolls has hit value decreased by 1.

• Bierwagen

• The “Air Movement” rules in “Non-Combat Movement” didn’t make the cut for Lite?  We really like the this one.

I like that too. But Lite was basically AARHE: for dummies, which implies its rather wordy and tedious for use as an easy rule to play. If you can make a version of the same rule but in a few words, we can possibly add it back. WE decided by committee that it was alot of stuff for any Lite version of AARHE.

Are there no free Tech roll in Lite – it’s like AAR where you pick the tech and pay your 5 bucks per die and roll?

I have to check on that actually. I thought it may still be in the document.

Since “Pre-Combat  1. ASW search (1st cycle only)” doesn’t exist in Lite the following needs to be revised:

Advanced Submarine:  Submarine’s attack and defense value is increases by 1. Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) search and attack rolls targeting them has hit value decreased by 1.

to

Advanced Submarine:  Submarine’s attack and defense value is increases by 1. Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) attack rolls has hit value decreased by 1.

Ill pass this on to Tekkyy, hes the compiler for AARHE.

• @Bierwagen:

The “Air Movement” rules in “Non-Combat Movement” didn’t make the cut for Lite?  We really like the this one.

glad you liked it
    we wanted to reduce the ridiculous strike range of air units in OOB, as well we wanted to increase the ridiculous ferry range

should be alright
    you seem quite interested in the various rules
    if your group can handle the complexity Lite will be just a stepping stone for your games group
    otherwise, you’ll come to enjoy the 4 page length of Lite when you show it to new players

@Bierwagen:

Are there no free Tech roll in Lite – it’s like AAR where you pick the tech and pay your 5 bucks per die and roll?

yep no free tech rolls in Lite
    its closer to the OOB tech system then full AARHE

thanks for spotting it
    actually the whole of second sentence is no longer relevant
    in Lite submarine warfare is simply modelled by hit allocation
    (only destroyers can hit submarines, after technology fighter can also hit submarines)

• There is discussion in LITE on how VC’s have inherent ID, because they roll in Air Combat Phase.  The big question became, how does LITE handle Amphibious Assault.  There is no language in LITE about firing ID during a landing like there is in AARHE 4.0.

From AARHE 4.0:
    “Defending Infrastructure Defense performs offshore bombardment against ships rolling for offshore bombardment
    or enemy Transport.”

So, we of course got confused and come for clarification.  Resort to standard AAR LHTR 2.0 rules if there isn’t any discussion in LITE on a specific topic?

• Bierwagen

• Diplomacy:  Neutral VCPs

At what point do the neutral VCPs kick in for victory consideration?  I could make a case for either +/-3 (e.g., when you start collecting it’s income) or +/-5 (e.g., when it is fully committed).  The rules aren’t clear or I didn’t read them close enough.

We’re in a tight game of back and forth and Spain goes into -3 Diplomatic status.  Axis wants to start claiming the +2 VPs for Madrid and Allies have no way of countering it.  Should the VPs for the VCs only be counted when there troops in the country (e.g., +/-5) or is “dems da breaks!”.

• Bierwagen

• Victory Conditions:

LITE doesn’t have the disclaimer from AARHE 4.0:

“Victory is achieved if victory conditions are maintained for one full game round.”

Example (note:  we were using Diplomacy and LITE, but it applies to conquering as well):
    Axis wanted to claim victory right after the Diplomacy roll that took Spain to -3 (n.b., assuming that you start collecting the 2 VPs for Madrid at -3 along with the income.  I’m still hoping for a ruling that +/-5 is required).

Point is though, don’t the Axis have to allow the Allies the benefit of trying to take something back and hold the required VPs for a whole turn?

Maybe the LITE rules should say

“Victory is achieved if you hold the required VP points at the start of your turn.  Axis required 45 points; Allies 55 points.”

• Bierwagen

• Phase 5: Non-combat Move:  Reinforcement (passive)

Can you load up infantry on a transport during this phase and send them out to sea?

• Bierwagen

• Diplomacy:  Neutral VCPs

At what point do the neutral VCPs kick in for victory consideration?  I could make a case for either +/-3 (e.g., when you start collecting it’s income) or +/-5 (e.g., when it is fully committed).  The rules aren’t clear or I didn’t read them close enough.

We’re in a tight game of back and forth and Spain goes into -3 Diplomatic status.  Axis wants to start claiming the +2 VPs for Madrid and Allies have no way of countering it.  Should the VPs for the VCs only be counted when there troops in the country (e.g., +/-5) or is “dems da breaks!”.

For neutrals their VC status does not count unless they are full allies ( you control their forces and can move them outside the neutrals borders). So it may be possible to even attack Spain while its your ally. This was actually Hitlers plan under Operation Isabella if Franco didn’t cooperate. Of course then Spain becomes a new ally of UK immediately, which can control its armed forces. Now if you think you can just move Spains army outside and take madrid, your wrong because Dec of war are made during the movement phase, allowing the new controlling player (UK) to reposition her remaining armed forces in spain immediately to defend against German aggression. So the important point is you cant claim the VC points until its a full ally.

Phase 5: Non-combat Move:  Reinforcement (passive)

Can you load up infantry on a transport during this phase and send them out to sea?

Its implied. For example If during reinforcement phase Italy wants to bring some infantry to Africa. They can do this provided they have a transport and 2 units for each transport can be transfered to this front, so if you only have 2 transports only up to 4 land units can be brought over. And yes you can just send them to ‘sea’ if you want during NCM

Victory Conditions:

“Victory is achieved if victory conditions are maintained for one full game round.”

Example (note:  we were using Diplomacy and LITE, but it applies to conquering as well):
    Axis wanted to claim victory right after the Diplomacy roll that took Spain to -3 (n.b., assuming that you start collecting the 2 VPs for Madrid at -3 along with the income.  I’m still hoping for a ruling that +/-5 is required).

Point is though, don’t the Axis have to allow the Allies the benefit of trying to take something back and hold the required VPs for a whole turn?

Yes +/- 5 IS REQUIRED TO COLLECT VC. The allies GET a full turn to attempt to retake something in order to restore the game away from axis victory, so for one turn you must survive.

Maybe the LITE rules should say

“Victory is achieved if you hold the required VP points at the start of your turn.  Axis required 45 points; Allies 55 points.”

Yes i too agree. WE will have tekkyy add it.

• @Bierwagen:

So, we of course got confused and come for clarification.  Resort to standard AAR LHTR 2.0 rules if there isn’t any discussion in LITE on a specific topic?

My intention is that if LITE doesn’t talk about it then it is not there.
    So in Lite, IDs don’t perform anything more than usual. All those special combat rules regarding amphibious assault from AARHE are not used in Lite.
    In fact the Lite document only mentions amphibious assault once in “combat move” phase.

@Bierwagen:

You count the netural VCP only when +5/-5.
    At -3 Axis gets the income but Axis units can’t enter and Axis can’t deploy units at the VC. So logically the VC is not in Axis hands yet.

@Bierwagen:

Yes i too agree. WE will have tekkyy add it.

Yep checking for YOUR victory at beginning of turn is a neat way to do the same as “hold one turn”.
    I’m adding it.

@Bierwagen:

Actually my intention is that loading/offloading can only be done during your turn.

@Imperious:

Now if you think you can just move Spains army outside and take madrid, your wrong because Dec of war are made during the movement phase, allowing the new controlling player (UK) to reposition her remaining armed forces in spain immediately to defend against German aggression.

Don’t know what you situation you are referring to. At +4 Axis units can enter Spain. Axis can’t control Spainish troops. At +5 Spain is fully committed Axis. Territory and units goes towards a particular Axis player. So now you can move Spainish troops but you can’t “attack” it since its a friendly territory. Madrid is now Axis.

@Imperious:

Its implied. For example If during reinforcement phase Italy wants to bring some infantry to Africa. They can do this provided they have a transport and 2 units for each transport can be transfered to this front, so if you only have 2 transports only up to 4 land units can be brought over. And yes you can just send them to ‘sea’ if you want during NCM

No. Reinforcement is not meant to be a full movement thing.
    The rule states you can move to adjacent territory or sea zone. Thats all.

What IL explained there is actually part of the “Strategic Redeployment” rule in full AARHE.

• Yea i was referring to Strategic Redeployment transfers over sea zones.

• Infantry Deployment
    This is a worry.
    In full AARHE you can deploy at VCs, with the capacity being the value of Victory City Point of the VC.
    In LITE you can deploy anywhere, with the capacity being the income value, but 50% for captured territories.

Sure it also helps Allies but
    Japan can deploy 9 infantry at Mainland Asia
    Germany can deploy 9 infantry near Cau (3 each at Eeu, Ukr, Blk)

• Infantry Deployment
    This is a worry.
    In full AARHE you can deploy at VCs, with the capacity being the value of Victory City Point of the VC.
    In LITE you can deploy anywhere, with the capacity being the income value, but 50% for captured territories.

what then do you propose we do?

• @tekkyy:

Infantry Deployment
    This is a worry.

I admit, this is pretty scary.  Not sure if it was just luck, or not but UK/Rus survived – but it seemed that in the hands of a professional it would be doom for that side of the world.  Pushing that many infantry was a lot to take on.  Japan built APs instead of having to mess with factories and was funneling over ARM/ART.

I thought the goal of LITE was to play on the AAR map, so this is a tough one to get around.  We were actually using the new map and I thought 5 INF a turn was bad enough.

Thanks for bringing it up.  I didn’t have a good counter to a Japan player running a tight land war with that much production capability.  Especially since UK can’t overfly Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m