• Tekky i hope you can handle some of these. I keep getting slammed from BBG with many questions. Our varient had generated some 500 new people who are asking me every question imaginable. I have not said anything till now but i just dont have much time… can you please answer these. Ill post to the correct person.

I hope many of you that contributed to AARHE realize that this thing is growing quite well.

5. Convoy, have we understood this correctly?
    a) Singkiang will never contribute IPCs to the US, since it is situated to far from a coastline. China will contribute only if one of the three mainland Japanese territories is captured by US or UK.
    b) If GE takes Egypt, India and Persia will not contribute to UK. The number of SZ is too great since the shortest route is through Suez canal.
    c) UK fleets in zone 5,6,7 or 12 will always convoy attack IPCs from Africa to GE. There can not be a mediterranean convoy since the capital only borders to SZ5.

6. Capturing defenders retreating units: “…each non-retreating ARM of the attacking side in excess of the defending side rolls…”. Does this mean “in excess of the defendings sides units in total”, “…ground units” or maybe “…ARM units”? If only defending ARM retreats and all INF and ART stays, will there not be any capture rolls?

7. Land combat in special terrain. Why are not air units and naval unuits affected by the -1 modifier? Planes have big troubles finding targets for example in the Balkans and the naval artillery are also adversely affected by that kind of terrain.

8. Defensive air support: When are the defending air units placed?
    Please explain the meaning of the last sentence: ÂœNote target friendly territories do not have to be under attacked.

9. Air interdiction, this is a big strange nut to crack for us. Hope you can help us out because it seems so different from most of the other rules.
    a) When is this BMR placed, after attacking player is finished moving or before?
    b) Why is one BMR allowed to fire at all units in a hex, when an ID isn´t?
    c) Logically it should be possible to fly in friendly airplanes to counter the Air interdiction, but since it´s a “friendly” territory this is not possible to do until non-combat move.
    d) How does this combine with the heavy BMR rule, Does the interdicted roll 2 dice per unit and the interdictor chooses which one to use?
    e) Die roll resulting in 1 destroys a target, Heavy tanks, BB and CV not longer requiring two hits to destroy?

10. Air Transport. Why can BMR transport INF units? Aren´t BMR and transports quite different from each other? A bomber fleet could be used to tow gliders and such temporarily but to transport an infantry army/corps? Was that ever the case?

Other comments without questions

Desert upkeep cost. This is just our informed guess: The problems in the desert was a lack of infrastructure like railroads and very few good harbours, resulting in long truck hauls on the few and exposed roads. The units covered vast expanses of turf between the battles making them hogs on fuel, but a stationary unit in Libya was hardly more expensive to maintain than a stationary unit in Singapore or the Filippines or Archangelsk. The pitched battle in the Mediterranean also took a a large toll on supplies on route to front line units. Look for example at the troops in Malta. Keeping them supplied cost enourmous efforts compared to the size of the units stationed there, but it was not beacause of any desert climate, right? The problem was the numbers of ships and planes battling to control some narrow waters.

The ID rules are a bit odd. In the explaing text the author is referring to AAs limited time to engage aircraft, but to our understanding the presence of an enemy air unit is not a single raid but a heavy commitment of aircraft during a prolonged time period. In the 3 rev. rules the AA/ID shoots at all aircraft, hitting on a result of 1, which is a simplification to avoid rolling every cycle, still giving a chance to hit w the 6 sided dice used. Now we can install more IDs but must roll several times for spotting and hitting? We can’t quite see the point in this rule, neither from a historical nor from a gaming point of view, but we will give it a chance and see if it adds any flavour.

Unit type on the Japanese reference card is missing.

Very well, hope you find the time to help us with the answers. If there is anything we can do to help you out in the work, let us know.

• BBG as in boardgamegeek yeah?

Singkiang will never contribute IPCs to the US, since it is situated to far from a coastline. China will contribute only if one of the three mainland Japanese territories is captured by US or UK.
    Singkiang’s IPC cannot be spent nor stored in another continent this turn. If IPC is stored there are other possbilities though in subsequent turns. China’s IPC cannot be spent in Eastern, Central or Western US this turn unless US, UK or USSR controls one of the three mainland Japanese territories. Stalinist Xenophobia does not applies to those three territories as they are not red territories.

If GE takes Egypt, India and Persia will not contribute to UK. The number of SZ is too great since the shortest route is through Suez canal.
    Yes. If Germany controls Egypt, India’s and Persia’s IPC cannot be spent nor stored in United Kingdom this turn. Their IPC can be spent locally as well as on other territories such as Australia if convoy conditions allow.

UK fleets in zone 5,6,7 or 12 will always convoy attack IPCs from Africa to GE. There can not be a mediterranean convoy since the capital only borders to SZ5.
    Yes.

Capturing defenders retreating units: “…each non-retreating ARM of the attacking side in excess of the defending side rolls…”. Does this mean “in excess of the defendings sides units in total”, “…ground units” or maybe “…ARM units”? If only defending ARM retreats and all INF and ART stays, will there not be any capture rolls?
    It is attacker’s non-retreating ARM in excess of defender’s retreating and non-retreating ARM. I shall rewrite it to something more precise.

Land combat in special terrain. Why are not air units and naval unuits affected by the -1 modifier? Planes have big troubles finding targets for example in the Balkans and the naval artillery are also adversely affected by that kind of terrain.
    Land units are affected significantly hence a -1 modifier. You are welcomed to join our discussion in the land combat topic.

Defensive air support: When are the defending air units placed?
    Please explain the meaning of the last sentence: ÂœNote target friendly territories do not have to be under attacked.

The rule is now called “reinforcements” in the latest version and generalised to all units. Air units are placed immediately if relocating one space away.

**Air interdiction. When is this BMR placed, after attacking player is finished moving or before?[b/]
    It is meant to be after attacker declared all moves. I should rewrite and specify it.

Air interdiction. Why is one BMR allowed to fire at all units in a hex, when an ID isn´t?
    It is to model bombers not engaging the enemy but instead bombing strategic transportation targets. Hence it is a weaker roll than normal attack but all units are affected.

Air interdiction. Logically it should be possible to fly in friendly airplanes to counter the Air interdiction, but since it´s a “friendly” territory this is not possible to do until non-combat move.
    It is a time frame issue. The BMR takes opportunity of air superiority and attempts to intercept movement of enemy land units. We made it remains in the enemy territory so it can’t perform other combats but interdiction is meant to be short and quick. You are free to join the discussion in the land combat topic.

Air interdiction. How does this combine with the heavy BMR rule, Does the interdicted roll 2 dice per unit and the interdictor chooses which one to use?
    It is not specified. I shall leave it at only 1 die per BMR.

Die roll resulting in 1 destroys a target, Heavy tanks, BB and CV not longer requiring two hits to destroy?
    We made it BMR can no longer attack naval units. Reason being due to the difficult to hitting them the BMR would have fly too low.
    Air interdiction in the latest version is only for hostile territories.

Air Transport. Why can BMR transport INF units? Aren´t BMR and transports quite different from each other? A bomber fleet could be used to tow gliders and such temporarily but to transport an infantry army/corps? Was that ever the case?
    You are welcomed to join our discussion in the units topic.

Desert upkeep cost. This is just our informed guess: The problems in the desert was a lack of infrastructure like railroads and very few good harbours, resulting in long truck hauls on the few and exposed roads.
    The idea is supplies have a harder time getting there. This follows again the same penalty for keeping land units in the sea (on transports).

The ID rules are a bit odd. In the explaing text the author is referring to AAs limited time to engage aircraft, but to our understanding the presence of an enemy air unit is not a single raid but a heavy commitment of aircraft during a prolonged time period.
    Yes I should change that text. It is no longer correct with the new rule of AA rolling every cycle. We think rolling every roll is important as it is not reasonable for a fleet to suffer similar damage between a short and long battle.**

• Thats great! One less thing i got to do. :-D

whew…

• BGG as in boardgamegeek right?
    I was checking but can’t find anything but one “release” style thread

By the way when you get around to it email me the files I emailed you about to email me…hehe.

• ok right.

• i cant send you the player aids the file is 33 MB… you got a free server that takes this file?

• Try these.

http://www.mediafire.com/
    100MB per file

http://www.sharebigfile.com/
    300MB per file

So I am expecting 6 player aids and 2 more battleboards AI files.

• ok i sent them to you.

• the BBG questions are people sending private messages to you right?

I can’t find anything on the BBG forum, if I were to help

• Yes private emails and a few PM’s its been going on for about 4 months. Its usually ok, but that last one was rather long. I answerd the first 5 questions and felt it would take me alot of time which i didnt have.

thanks again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m