Fortress America and Conquest of the Empire

• I have enough games going on right now.  But at some point, I wouldn’t mind playing a game of FA by forum.  There is PMEM map and dice server available on the web.  If any of you guys are interested, I’ll find the map and dice server and post the link.

• Oh also, maximise use of the giant friggen lazer beams.

Yeah, that’s what I meant by destroy the Soviet’s bomber squadron.  I had my opponent out of Bombers and was forcing him to fight me one-on-one in the cities of Pittsburgh, Cinncinnati, etc.  I could have won the dang game that I played except I my stupid forces couldn’t capture a city that was occupied by one infantry.  Gaaaaaa.  Still can’t claim a win with America, but I know the strategy now.

I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY THIS GAME THROUGH EMAIL OR FORUM IF ANYONE CAN GET IT.

RB

• Okay, here’s the link to the PBEM web-page.  It has PBEM rules and a chart where you can roll to see what Partisan Card you draw (it’s explained in the rules):

http://members.aol.com/evilhedpro/fa/fapbem.htm

The link to the map is here, though I haven’t yet figured out how it works:

http://www.taulbee.us/webfa/

This is a link to the OOB Rules (a rough copy):

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Fortress_America.pdf

Here is a link to the Fortress America Players Association (who knew?):

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fapagroup/

They appear to be the source of the map.

And, finally, here’s a really cool high-res picture of the game:

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/famerica.html

If anyone can figure out how the map works, let me know.  I suggest contacting the FAPA folks since they apparently originated the map.  Unless someone has a better idea, I think it would be cool to bid to play America.  We could assign values to the pieces to determine who wins the bid.  Say 6 for a Hovertank, 8 for a Helicopter, 15 for a bomber, etc.

• I forgot to mention, the link to the PBEM rules also has a dice server.  Pretty necessary, given the varying die involved (d6, d8 AND d10).

• Forgive my ignorance since I haven’t played these games online, but what is a “bid”?

RB

• In A&A online, each player typically bids so many IPCs to the Axis for the privilege of getting to play the Axis side.  Whoever bids less IPCs wins the bid.  So, for example, I bid 7 IPCs and you bid 8 IPCs, I win and get to play the Axis.  I immediately get to buy up to 7 IPCs worth of units and deploy them or bank all seven IPCs or buy some and bank some, etc.

I think a similar system could work for Fortress America.  I think it’s safe to say America is the hardest player to play (meaning most challenging tactically speaking) and is probably the hardest to win with.  If for no other reason than the invaders have 3 minds working everything out while America is on her own.

As for a system, I just thought of a way to make it easier so we don’t have to assign some arbitrary values to the pieces.  We could bid a number which represents the number of partisan cards and/or lasers that the US player gets to draw and deploy before the game begins.  So, for example, let’s say I bid “5”.  I could draw 3 partisan cards and deploy the units referenced AND deploy 2 lasers immediately.  Come to think of it, that bid may be on the high end!  :lol: (or maybe not?).  But it would make for a very simple bidding system.

Thoughts?

• '19 Moderator

I think in order to use that map you have to register on the groups site.  I don’t realy have the time to figure it out right now, but the map looks like it might be a good utility.  If anyone can figure it out I might be up for a game.

• d-fish, I’ve checked out the Web FA utility on their site (I joined, got some instructions, etc.) and so far, it seems somewhat unwieldly.  Every time you move a piece, the screen freezes and it reloads the web page.  Not nearly as simple as ABattlemap.  I’ll keep playing with it off and on to see if I can get it working decently.

• 2007 AAR League

I actually just played my first game of Fortress America today … I didn’t realy do that great as America and I was still a little confused about the game play but it was a fun game.

• AJ, did you play FTF or did you use the Web FA utility?  If it was Web FA, maybe we could play a PBEM game.

• 2007 AAR League

it was FTF

• 2007 AAR League

However if I play it again soon and get the hang of it I would be willing to play a PBEM with you.
    Yesterday was my first time so I’m still a noob  :lol:

• Well, considering it was probably ten years ago or more the last time I played, I am probably just as much of a noob as you!  We need to find a decent utility to play, though.  The Web FA was not my favorite, but there may be other options.  I am still checking into it.

• 2007 AAR League

Let me know if you find something good

• I am PROUD to say that last night, March 31st, I Rune Blade, after 4 unsuccessful attempts at defending the homeland, that on the 5th try, I was VICTORIOUS with America and defeated my other three friends!!!

RB

• 2007 AAR League

Wow good job … i did terrible  :lol:

• Yes, it wasn’t easy.  There were two city battles that were the result of luck and kept me going or I would have been defeated as America must hold 13 cities.

Fortunetaly, I was able to destroy the bombers for both the Soviet and Central Americans and that caused their attacks to be much less effective. Then I was able to wear them down by constantly retreating.

It was awesome!

RB

• I wish they made a ‘conquest of Germany’ game with British, American and Soviet forces and a similiar game system.  Germans could have all sorts of special super weapons during the game.

• @Imperious:

I wish they made a ‘conquest of Germany’ game with British, American and Soviet forces and a similiar game system.  Germans could have all sorts of special super weapons during the game.

Hey, IL, what’s this “they” business?  Aren’t you the game-maker on these boards?  :wink:

• '19 Moderator

LOL, yeah IL let us know when you go into production…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m